How often to change oil? What kind to run mobile 1 delvac, rotella, maxima, yamalube, honda oil and etc.

43 replies to this topic
  • tomjoens

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:31 PM

How often do you need to change oil? Also what about synthetic maxima compared to rotella 15-40 convential what is your opinions?
I would like not to spend $16 an oil change with maxima but the synthetic oil gives you more power and runs smoother. I heard there is nothing wrong with running a mobile 1 delvac synthetic or rotella conventional either. PLEASE COMMMENT!

• bimbamboom

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:55 PM

What kind of machine are you putting this oil in? It would be helpful to know. I get the gallon containers of Maxima 15W50 full synthetic and I think its worth the money but you will find a huge gamut of opinions of what people like to run in their bikes on Thumpertalk. I like to run a full ester synthetic personally but there are many fine oils out there. I used to run Golden Spectro synthetic blend and would not hesitate to put it in one of my bikes.
Just make sure your oil is labeled as O.K. for motorcycle use-JASO MA if you run it in a bike that shares engine oil with the transmission(this is so your clutch won't slip) and JASO MB in bikes such as the Honda CRF450 which has separate oil for engine and trannny. You would then run the friction modified MB in the engine and the JASO MA in the transmission in a bike such as the CRF450.
As far as changing oil-depends on if its dino oil,synthetic blend or full synthetic with full synthetic lasting longest. Pretty safe to stay with what the manual recommends as far as hours or mileage but I change mine about every 750 miles on my dualsport and about 4- 5 major rides on my dirtbike all subject to conditions encountered. Probably too often but I have gotten a lot of miles out of the bikes and still have good compression.

• 79yamdt

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:57 PM

:lame:

Not one of these again.

I think you need to do research before you post something like this. This topic has been beat to death. And if synthetic oil makes your bike run smoother and give you more power that is news to me.

Edited by 79yamdt, April 03, 2013 - 12:58 PM.

• tomjoens

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:18 PM

It is a 2012 yz450

• freeriders98

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Synthetic all the way!!!! Adds a solid 20hp to the bike, and since yours is a 2012 yz450 maybe even more. How much power you'll get depends on how your carb is set-up on that bike, and what position you have your gongilator plate in.

• tomjoens

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Basically are there bad a good additives that I need to run for my clutch

• adam8781

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:34 AM

shell rotella club member right here. full syn, 5 gallon pales at walmart.

I think syn has its benefits. but in a bike its more how often you change it, not what you change it with

• Leardriver

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:50 AM

I've never seen an oil-related failure in a bike that was serviced at the correct intervals. Run whatever you want.

• slothman

Posted April 04, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Use the recommended oil weight that is listed in your manual. Pretty simple. I like to run Vavoline 4stroke motorcycle oil.

• mudguy

Posted April 04, 2013 - 12:11 PM

If I were to give a recommendation which covered all bikes, in all temperature ranges, I would say to change your oil every 2 rides, and put rotella 15W40 into it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz133rider

Posted April 04, 2013 - 12:16 PM

I also am a supporter of the change it early and change it often as opposed to worrying overly about what brand. I run rotella as well. If I could find a comparable priced in a gallon I would consider it but rotella for the price is hard to beat.

• kurtcrf450

Posted April 04, 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have an 11 yz450 and I run the spectro blue cap( think its the regular non synthetic) and change oil and filter once its black its a good rule if thumb. About 1-2 hrs of ride time. I probably change it way more than needed but its good piece of mind and using the regular oil it's a little cheaper.

• WWalker

Posted April 04, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Another vote for the Shell Rotella. I run the 15-40 in my XR400 (which is basically a tractor....nothing like your bike which is a high performance machine). Just follow what your manual says and you'll be fine.

I run Chevron 10-40 non energy conserving in my FZ1 and Rotella full synth in my track bike. 30,000 miles on the FZ1 with no problems and about 10,000 race track miles on the gsxr. I picked up the XR in a trade not even knowing the maint history....all three bikes run great.

Numerous oil threads on every motorcycle forum. The bottom line: change it regularly and run whatever oil gives you piece of mind.

• CamP

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I've never seen an oil-related failure in a bike that was serviced at the correct intervals. Run whatever you want.

Me either. The only thing I've seen is some clutch slippage with certain oils in certain bikes.

• turbobusa8s

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Over 200k using Rotella T6- ZERO ISSUES, ZERO PROBLEMS
used in

Victory- variety of models
Suzuki-turbo hayabusa and regular slow busa's
Kawasaki-zx14
Triumph Rocket
Gsxr1000
Big Dog's
Yz250f's
yz450f's
suzuki intruders
honda xx's
ktm 950 smr
and a few more makes/models over the past

T6 works, until someone can PROVE to me it wont, it will go into all my bikes

• slothman

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:45 AM

I sprays some WD-40 in the oil hole once a day, keeps 'er topped up and running smoove.

She purr like a kitten.

don't forget to add bath salt and sand !

• souliog

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:29 AM

I run Amsoil 10w40 Motorcycle oil in my 2006. Changed every 2-3 hours.

Bike has 300+ hours with no issues and no valve adjustments. I race 450B and 35+ also some trail riding.

Edited by souliog, April 10, 2013 - 11:30 AM.

• luckyguy19

Posted April 10, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I was running Mobile 1 Racing 4t 10w40, but my Rekluse EXP would slip a little under heavy load. Rekluse recommended going to Rotella T 15w40. It no longer slips, but I do change the oil more often than I would with the Mobile 1. Rotella T and T6 are both JASO-MA compliant. One of the most important issues when dealing with motorcycle oil is the shear stability. Motorcycle transmissions are very hard on oil, and can shear a 40 weight into a 30 weight pretty quickly. Motorcycle specific oil is usually blended to help shear stability. Some HD Diesel injectors are also hard on oil as far as shear stability. This is why HD diesel oils can make a good alternative.

Edited by luckyguy19, April 10, 2013 - 01:37 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2013 - 01:30 PM

I run Mobil1 Racing 4T in my Rekluse Z-Start Pro equipped '06, and I have no clutch problems with it. No problems with Amsoil MCF, either. Both of these oils are JASO MA/MA2 compliant, also.

Diesel injectors are not generally lubricated by engine oil (the fuel does that), so it has nothing to do with the matter. Rotella, point of fact, was one of the weakest popular oils used in YZF's for a long time until it was upgraded. It would fall out of grade within 2 hours time in a YZ250F (by actual oil analysis) and failed the standard ASTM D-6278 viscosity shear stability test (done with diesel injectors, interestingly) miserably. The current info I have is that both Rotellas have now been improved in this regard, but the point is that just being a Diesel ("C", or Commercial grade) oil means nothing at all.

• luckyguy19

Posted April 10, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I run Mobil1 Racing 4T in my Rekluse Z-Start Pro equipped '06, and I have no clutch problems with it. No problems with Amsoil MCF, either. Both of these oils are JASO MA/MA2 compliant, also.

Diesel injectors are not generally lubricated by engine oil (the fuel does that), so it has nothing to do with the matter. Rotella, point of fact, was one of the weakest popular oils used in YZF's for a long time until it was upgraded. It would fall out of grade within 2 hours time in a YZ250F (by actual oil analysis) and failed the standard ASTM D-6278 viscosity shear stability test (done with diesel injectors, interestingly) miserably. The current info I have is that both Rotellas have now been improved in this regard, but the point is that just being a Diesel ("C", or Commercial grade) oil means nothing at all.

Many Diesels, including the Ford 6.0L have HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector). This uses high pressure oil, and is also what shears down the oil in these engines.

My clutch does slip with Mobile 1, and it does not with Rotella T, that is fact.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.