Recommended Oil

Miscellaneous Chemical Engine Oil Honda CRF250L

32 replies to this topic
  • Dago52

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:55 PM

I am getting close to my first oil change and searched for recommendations but no luck. I am thinking of going with a Honda filter and Mobil1 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil. Im open to recommendations and Amsoil is hard to find around my neck of the woods.

Thanks

• Positron007

Posted April 02, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Has to be JASO MA Spec for wet clutch.
Other than that make sure you choose the right viscosity, and you're good to go.
I like Motul 7100, but that is just my personal preference there are many others just as good.

Edited by Positron007, April 02, 2013 - 03:05 PM.

• Dago52

Posted April 02, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, it looks like the Mobil 1 oil meets and exceeds the requirements. I will pick some up this week.

• Positron007

Posted April 02, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Make sure it is JASO MA otherwise you'll stuff your clutch in no time.

• humbug

Posted April 02, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Mobil1 motorcycle oil works just fine, been using it for years with no problems.

• Bob80

Posted April 02, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Here's a good read that I took from one of my Maxim X buddies site's, ignore the Maxim X parts, the rest can relate to the CRFL...JASO MA rating as Positron007 mentions, is the answer... :thumbsup:

http://www.maxim-x.com/oil_change.html

• Dago52

Posted April 02, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Here's a good read that I took from one of my Maxim X buddies site's, ignore the Maxim X parts, the rest can relate to the CRFL...JASO MA rating as Positron007 mentions, is the answer... :thumbsup:

http://www.maxim-x.com/oil_change.html

Bob, thanks for the link. Great info. I have been running Mobil One in my Tundra since I purchased in 2006. I currently have 190,000 miles and it runs like a clock. I am a big believer in changing my oil frequently.

• Jon_PDX

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:46 AM

That's really the bottom line.

Use what ever brand oil you like in the correct weight and specification and change it regularly.

Your motor will thank you with many happy miles.

Jon...

• RyanMX

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:56 PM

What about the Honda PRO GN4-Stroke oil? That's what the service manual calls for.

I've used the HONDA HP oil on my CR250 and haven't had any problems.

• Positron007

Posted April 03, 2013 - 03:19 PM

What about the Honda PRO GN4-Stroke oil? That's what the service manual calls for.

I've used the HONDA HP oil on my CR250 and haven't had any problems.

It definitely does the job. I have had shifting issues with that oil though. It breaks down very quickly and I have had issues with gear changes.
Probably fine if you are replacing your oil every 2000 miles

Edited by Positron007, April 03, 2013 - 03:32 PM.

• RyanMX

Posted April 03, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hmmm...not sure what I want to use. I am almost at 300 miles and will do the first change sometime after that (600 miles).

• Positron007

Posted April 03, 2013 - 03:31 PM

If you plan to replace the oil at every 8000 miles (12000km) according to the manufacturers recomendation, then I highly recommend using a synthetic (JASO MA) oil, if you plan to change it more regulary ie <2000 miles then any cheap JASO MA oil at the right viscosity will do the job.

• eyeopenher

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:01 PM

It definitely does the job. I have had shifting issues with that oil though. It breaks down very quickly and I have had issues with gear changes.
Probably fine if you are replacing your oil every 2000 miles

i have to ask, which oil did you have shifting issues??? honda oil in general? HP? or the GN4?

• Positron007

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:07 PM

i have to ask, which oil did you have shifting issues??? honda oil in general? HP? or the GN4?

GN4, as well as some other cheap oils gave me shifting problems, usually around 2000 miles.
Changing to a synthetic remedied the problem

• eyeopenher

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:17 PM

kool, thank you positron... since i have not had many 4 strokes, i have been a belray guy for all my 2 strokes, including my 1/5th scale baja... but mostly cause i didn't know any better or what else to use... it seems to be the oil all the shops around here have carried throughout time... i really do not know if i should stick to the belray or switch it up this time around... and the local shops around here are all about promoting what they sell (of course)... i did use the belray in my suzuki 400z... and in my bayou also... never had problems, but i always changed my oil regularly... dad's a mechanic... he always said its the least you can do, don't be lazy... lol

• Positron007

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you want to follow the 8000 mile oil change interval by Honda definitely get a Full Synthetic JASO MA oil.
There are quite a few good Synthetic JASO MA rated oils.
Try a few of them till you find one you like best.

• RyanMX

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:58 PM

I definitely want to use synthetic. I use only Mobil 1 in my truck and it is now at 170,000 miles with no major issues.

I also have not had a 4 stroke for awhile. Only had one for about a year when I was in 6th grade.

• gnath9

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think it's always good practice to change oil before and after every winter regardless of miles .... That's just me tho ...

• eyeopenher

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:29 PM

i agree with you there 100% gnath... i run through all my gas powered stuff... mini bike, weed whacker, lawn mower, generator, water pump, and bikes... oil changes are a must in my eyes at the end of the season and stabil run through them all also.. any old gas in cans gets put in my cars a little at a time and fresh gas is put back in cans with stabil again.. all my stuff always starts the next year and i never have a problem... luck, or preventive maintenance? lol

• Positron007

Posted April 03, 2013 - 08:37 PM

I asumed you guys did 30,000 miles a year :p

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.