Master link removal

5 replies to this topic
  • Sanch

Posted November 16, 2001 - 10:24 PM

I'm trying to remove and clean the o-ring chain on a '99 400f and I can't get the master link out. The clip came off without a problem, but the link won't slide out! I'm hesitant to force it before asking.

I wish I could tell ya, but I don't know who makes it. It was on there when I bought it. It also has a bunch of the "chain wax" on it, so it may just be

• SMP

Posted November 16, 2001 - 10:59 PM

It is OK to pry the link apart, it should not take much effort, just pay attention the o rings and try not to damage them while prying.

• Psycho426

Posted November 18, 2001 - 09:32 PM

My o-ring chain did the same (DID 520) I had to use some force to get my master link out as well, don't worry you will not break anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sanch

Posted November 19, 2001 - 05:26 AM

Thanks all. I have a DID 520Vm chain and found that the master clip I have is one where you need to press it on/off. Does anyone know if there is a special tool for this, and if so where can I get it?

• KTM250rm

Posted November 19, 2001 - 06:29 AM

I don't know if they make a press off tool, but they do make a press on tool for the side plate. It cost around $21.00 and works great. Its about as difficult to press the side plate back on as it is to take off without the tool.

I guess they do this incase you lose the circlip that the chain won't fly apart on you.

• jaybird67k

Posted November 19, 2001 - 08:04 AM

Yes they make a tool for press on links, Its called a Chain Break. You can get one here.
Go to catalog, chain tools, and look for Patton chain breaker.
There are 2 types of links, slip on and press on, I prefer the press on because I can lose my circlip and the chain will not come apart for a while like a slip on would.
To put the link back on just use a small socket like a 1/4" or 8mm, place it over the pin and use a small C-clamp to press it on.

Later, Jason

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: jaybird67k ]

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.