KDX 200 suspension setup?

4 replies to this topic
  • radeenshemirani

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:38 PM

So I got my bike fast enough to seriously MX it and enjoy riding it, and I managed to jump it so far it COMPLETLEY bottomed out to the point the front wheel scrubbed the fender, the rear suspension feels notchy, and the right fork seal blew. The skidplate nearly scrubbed the ground. The fork seal Im not too worried about, but now I have some questions: What am i supposed to do about the "notchy" rear shock? And whats the cheapest way I can get my suspension to be alot more stiffer to survive the jumps? Thank you!

• SS109

Posted April 01, 2013 - 09:13 AM

The notchy rear shock says to be the shock and/or linkage bearings are probably shot. As for making it stiffer, buy the proper springs for your weight from Racetech or one of the other suspension shops. However, KDX's really weren't meant for MX. They are off road/Enduro type bikes. If you plan to jump it a lot it might be worth looking in to doing a KX fork conversion.

• radeenshemirani

Posted April 01, 2013 - 11:47 AM

The notchy rear shock says to be the shock and/or linkage bearings are probably shot. As for making it stiffer, buy the proper springs for your weight from Racetech or one of the other suspension shops. However, KDX's really weren't meant for MX. They are off road/Enduro type bikes. If you plan to jump it a lot it might be worth looking in to doing a KX fork conversion.

Yeah, I love my KDX, I understand it was never meant to MX. I do ride mx tracks frequently, the killer was the atv track. I was on an ATV track with some decently sized jumps and decided to preload the biggest jump on the track. That was my mistake😄. I've been thinking of getting the stiffer springs (the stock springs are for 135lb riders, fully geared I'm 160) but they're 120ish dollars. But I'm getting a job this summer, so I'm thinking of doing the full KX conversion to the front(about 200-400 bucks depending on parts) but my biggest worry is what I'm supposed to do with the rear shock! I haven't found much for the rear shock, just a really expensive rear shock revalve (169.99 not including labor). So I'm stumped there.

• SS109

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:18 PM

I hit the local MX track once in a great while. The stock KDX shock is actually pretty good even with the off road valving. If you ride more MX than off road then you might benefit from having it revalved more for MX. Donnie at ZR1 (http://www.zr1suspension.com/) is very reasonable for this kind of work. Unfortunately, there is no way around buying the correct springs. If you do end up doing the KX suspension you will probably get heavier springs from the get go. Mine still had the factory .41 springs which is perfect for my weight (about 170 fully gearded).

• radeenshemirani

Posted April 02, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, Ive gotten to the point where im thinking about re-springing the stockers for now, and once I get my job and get some play money, I might get a KX250. That, or do the conversion on the KDX. We will see when I get there!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1998Kx250 or 2002 Kx250. Which is the better bike? by Mudlauncher

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

01 KX-125 has no power! HELPPP by crhyne1994

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo

Help, what year model is this? KX125 by Rinox88

• 14 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.