Fuel Screw replacement 2007 WR450

5 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted March 31, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi, quick question. I don't want to go through removing the back end to get to the carb to replace the fuel screw with an after market one. The last time I had the carb out I removed the fuel screw plug.

The question is, if I unscrew the fuel screw, will the spring and stuff stay on the fuel screw? or will it end up in the float bowl? I have never removed a fuel screw before so I'm not sure what will happen. If the spring will stay on, I believe I can replace it without removing the carb.

Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 31, 2013 - 05:59 PM

The fuel screw sits outside the float bowl. No need to remove anything.
Do not use the old oring if you replace it; get a new one.
Do not use a aluminum fuel screw. The corrode and break.
Do not use a tapered tip fuel screw. They are impossible to tune.

• allterra

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:12 PM

The fuel screw sits outside the float bowl. No need to remove anything.
Do not use the old oring if you replace it; get a new one.
Do not use a aluminum fuel screw. The corrode and break.
Do not use a tapered tip fuel screw. They are impossible to tune.

+1 on the aluminum PO did that to me PITA to remove cleanly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thank you, I'll get a non aluminum fuel screw. Just a side question. Ride between 3500 and 8500 ft. The 450 FAQ talks about the leak jet, recommended 40. I have a 2007 seems to run good, but need some fuel screw adjustment for better starting and idle. Do you recommend the 40 leak jet as the FAQ says most do? Just trying to prepare if I am going to remove the carb and check it all out. So I want to have all the parts.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Leak jet has nothing to do with altitude.

40/45/50 is fine.

The real issue is having the short rivet diaphragm (CR450) and the Merge racing linkage spring

• tomerb

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:36 PM

RMK800

Posted Image "Hi, quick question. I don't want to go through removing the back end to get to the carb to replace the fuel screw with an after market one. The last time I had the carb out I removed the fuel screw plug"

If your carburetor is the same as a 2011 WR 450 you can not get the fuel screw out just by removing the plug. The hole is still too small for the threads to go through it and you will need to also drill it out to a larger size.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.