2008 WR450F with 2006 YZ suspension and cams

219 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:58 PM

just picked up a mint '09 YZ450F. Not messing with stock motor or exhaust (other than PMB end cap). Perfect for slow single track. Hot start with one kick and no hot start lever used. :awww: :worthy: Will mod the suspension. Watching your thread. :thinking:

Yeah, these things (YZ) are great for single track, and they will still hold a predictable slide and handle massive whoops, unlike the orange plague.

• KennyMc

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, these things (YZ) are great for single track, and they will still hold a predictable slide and handle massive whoops, unlike [color=#ff8c00]the orange plague.[/color]

I figured your dimentia would allow for you to forget about that experience already :p

• gcally

Posted July 09, 2013 - 02:42 AM

The thing is he and I have the same cams in and he rode his bike around the street and then rode my bike. Said could tell the difference between the 2 bikes then. :excuseme: I do have a light port job on my head though...

What exhaust are you running?

• KennyMc

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:33 AM

What exhaust are you running?

Stock header pipe and Yoshi slip-on (good combo IMO).

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 09, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I just can't say enough good things about the Stevic Racing re-work of my YZ fork and shock.
Soooo controlled and flickable, with just enough plushness.

• beezer

Posted July 10, 2013 - 10:27 AM

So you are actually satisfied with your suspension and your shim shuffler?

Is that possible?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 10, 2013 - 02:06 PM

So you are actually satisfied with your suspension and your shim shuffler?

Is that possible?

What are you trying to say? :jawdrop:[size=4] [/size]

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2013 - 09:16 AM

Careful, someone will post a link.

• beezer

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Satan get behind me.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 12, 2013 - 07:41 PM

No success with the new ultra-rich needle.
Good success with the Factory -125 perferated needle jet (emulsion version). Pilot is now way to lean, so that has to be changed for a 48 before I go any further.

THIS IS GETTING OLD

Edited by Krannie, July 12, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted July 13, 2013 - 05:30 AM

No success with the new ultra-rich needle.
Good success with the Factory -125 perferated needle jet (emulsion version). Pilot is now way to lean, so that has to be changed for a 48 before I go any further.

THIS IS GETTING OLD

This is more dirt of a duh statement but are you sure everything else is right fuel/air/carb wise? Have you tried swapping carbs with anyone?

Reason I ask is I've yet to hear or read about anyone having SUCH a hard time getting a WR dialed in and needing to be EXACT with everything for it to not stumble. It's reminding me of the two stroke days when your crank seals just start to leak and the bike runs lean, but not enough to blow anything up, just enough to piss you off.

You've swapped about everything else, and I'm sure its clean as hell but have you run another carb? I don't remember reading that in here.....

Edited by miweber929, July 13, 2013 - 05:30 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 13, 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is more dirt of a duh statement but are you sure everything else is right fuel/air/carb wise? Have you tried swapping carbs with anyone?

Reason I ask is I've yet to hear or read about anyone having SUCH a hard time getting a WR dialed in and needing to be EXACT with everything for it to not stumble. It's reminding me of the two stroke days when your crank seals just start to leak and the bike runs lean, but not enough to blow anything up, just enough to piss you off.

You've swapped about everything else, and I'm sure its clean as hell but have you run another carb? I don't remember reading that in here.....

No carb swap.
I'm going back to stock cams, stock coast valve, stock air jet, stock header, and jetting of 165/45/NCVS, cause I know that to work very well in at least three other WR's.

• miweber929

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:13 AM

No carb swap.
I'm going back to stock cams, stock coast valve, stock air jet, stock header, and jetting of 165/45/NCVS, cause I know that to work very well in at least three other WR's.

Hopefully that will take care of it, if not I'd suggest swapping carbs with a known good running bike. For some reason I get a vibe that yours might be somehow bad, maybe internally. Like I mentioned earlier, most of these bikes run good with "close enough" jetting, I know in 4 years and huge temperature (90 to below freezing) swings I've yet to touch the fuel screw since the initial setup and its ALWAYS instant go, never bogs and runs strong throughout; most people fiddle with them almost every ride. The jetting changes you're making are not incredibly different yet it seems to make huge differences in your bike, I'm not sure why.

Just a thought.

Mike

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hopefully that will take care of it, if not I'd suggest swapping carbs with a known good running bike. For some reason I get a vibe that yours might be somehow bad, maybe internally. Like I mentioned earlier, most of these bikes run good with "close enough" jetting, I know in 4 years and huge temperature (90 to below freezing) swings I've yet to touch the fuel screw since the initial setup and its ALWAYS instant go, never bogs and runs strong throughout; most people fiddle with them almost every ride. The jetting changes you're making are not incredibly different yet it seems to make huge differences in your bike, I'm not sure why.

Just a thought.

Mike

I agree. I've never had a poor running WR before.
This bike was only test ridden for about 1 min before being torn down for all the mods.
I am going to remove the carb and check the air jet passage, and the acv passages too.

• Derwud

Posted July 14, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Bill you can still borrow my bike if you need..

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Bill you can still borrow my bike if you need..

I would like to just ride it, if nothing else, to get my 'reference' back/confirmed.
You're in SCV?

• Derwud

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'm in Pasadena...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm in Pasadena...

Close enough.
One of my riding buddies (ABV1) just got a WR too, so I can use both of you. I and do mean use..

[size=4]I've come to realize that the only WR I've ridden with YZ hotcams also had a 13.5:1 piston and mild porting, but with the stock header. (Kenshaw). [/size]
[size=4]So, that comparison to mine is pretty useless, and probably should have been ignored.[/size]

• Derwud

Posted July 14, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Let me know when you want it or meet up..

• KennyMc

Posted July 15, 2013 - 12:11 AM

Close enough.
One of my riding buddies (ABV1) just got a WR too, so I can use both of you. I and do mean use..

[size=4]I've come to realize that the only WR I've ridden with YZ hotcams also had a 13.5:1 piston and mild porting, but with the stock header. (Kenshaw). [/size]
[size=4]So, that comparison to mine is pretty useless, and probably should have been ignored.[/size]

Dude, not even close. Exactly what are the differences? 12.5:1 piston = negligible (not 13). Same cams. We had the same jetting until you went all over the board to even back to stock while running a YZ header pipe.

If you would just put in the 172 main, 48 pilot JD Red needle which you say you have plenty of. Stock header pipe which I thought you had gotten, we would be the same. You keep failing to mention that carb bowl thingy. It doesn't matter how many times you have gotten them to work, your bike isn't working for you. I told you, make it like mine, I'll show up and we can compare. Worthless if you don't make it the same though.

The mild porting, talk to your engine builder and listen to him. It was just a clean up port to flow a bit more air. He can tell you the performance expectations. Use the vast knowledge base you have at your disposal.

Satan get behind me.

Post, post, post :-)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.