2008 WR450F with 2006 YZ suspension and cams

219 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 25, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hey Krannie I see a lot of guys using ® and (s) diameter needles could not find any succes with these leaner needles
With more than 12 months on and off playing with the jetting changing pilot air jets ,mains pilots you name it ,Ihave come up with a great combo which might help you out.
WR450 2007
EX.cam mod
GYTR pipe
42 pilot
75 pilot air
NFPR needle 4 th clip (YZ 250 F NEEDLE)
165 Main
Coaster enrichner valve intacked and working
Tan colour spark plug
14 kms to the lite
SEA LEVEL
The (P) L1 is the same as the JD needle

What year yz250f is that NFPN from?

Edited by Krannie, June 25, 2013 - 04:32 PM.

• WRDL

Posted June 25, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Krannie, sorry about that it cost me $60.00 Aus.
2008 yz 250f
part # 5TA-14916-PN-00.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:01 AM

Krannie, sorry about that it cost me $60.00 Aus.
2008 yz 250f
part # 5TA-14916-PN-00.

Actually, here in no-Roo's-land, it's on the optional list for the 2009 YZ250f.

$60.00??? Jeeez....

THANKS

• beezer

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:24 AM

I put the Dynatek box in my WR last night.

I turned the bike on and hit the e-start button and it blew a fuse.

Checked all my connections, replaced the fuse and hit the button again.

Blew another fuse.

Put the stock box in and it fires right up.

Now I have to send the POS back to Dyna at my expense.

They say they test them before they leave but mine obviously wasn't.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:26 AM

I put the Dynatek box in my WR last night.

I turned the bike on and hit the e-start button and it blew a fuse.

Checked all my connections, replaced the fuse and hit the button again.

Blew another fuse.

Put the stock box in and it fires right up.

Now I have to send the POS back to Dyna at my expense.

They say they test them before they leave but mine obviously wasn't.

That sucks.

• beezer

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:22 AM

These aftermarket companies suck to deal with. The box doesn't really fit the bike well and you have to obama rig it to mount it.

I asked them to send me a new one and a UPS call tag for the defective one but no go.

I have to send it to Belgrade Montana at my expensive.

I bet I don't see another box for 2 to 3 weeks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:48 PM

These aftermarket companies suck to deal with. The box doesn't really fit the bike well and you have to obama rig it to mount it.

I asked them to send me a new one and a UPS call tag for the defective one but no go.

I have to send it to Belgrade Montana at my expensive.

I bet I don't see another box for 2 to 3 weeks.

OK, we get it.

No practical reason to disparage the Office of the President of the United States of America, now is there?

Edited by Krannie, June 26, 2013 - 12:49 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:06 PM

UPDATE

Just got back from a street ride after moving the needle, and setting the fuel screw out .5 turns more.

NFPR needle on 7th clip makes a big difference in the flat spot.
If you roll the throttle on just right, you cannot keep the front end down.
It's fast....

Suspension work by Steric Racing is fantastic. Best I've ever experienced.
Seat upgrade by Steric Racing is also fantastic. 2.25" taller and 1" wider with extra firm foam.

This thing is gonna be fun......

• KennyMc

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:03 PM

UPDATE

Just got back from a street ride after moving the needle, and setting the fuel screw out .5 turns more.

NFPR needle on 7th clip makes a big difference in the flat spot.
If you roll the throttle on just right, you cannot keep the front end down.
It's fast....

Seat upgrade by Steric Racing is also fantastic. 2.25" taller and 1" wider with extra firm foam.

This thing is gonna be fun......

So you think you have the bugs worked out of it?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:11 AM

So you think you have the bugs worked out of it?

Welllll, it's 50% better, but still requires a 'different' throttle technique for best results.
I have a richer needle coming.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gcally

Posted June 27, 2013 - 06:21 AM

How does the suspension and handling stack up against your CRF450X now that you got the YZ suspension working OK?

• YHGEORGE

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Tokyo Mods could have made that carb thing much easier. And a lot less trouble.

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:37 AM

The NFPR needle differs from the NFPN in the diameter of the upper part of the needle only, but that's what you're after here. The first two characters are the series and length of the taper. The third is how high up the needle the taper starts (an NFPR with the clip at 4 is a half step leaner than an NFLR at 4), and has the most effect on throttle openings between 1/4 and 3/4 open. The 4th character is the diameter of the upper part of the needle, and that has the most effect from 1/8 to 1/4, the transition from idle to main circuit, where your flat spot is. The "lower" letters are smaller diameters, thus richer, with an NFPN being 1.5 steps richer at that point than an NFPR.

Personally, I'd try an NFPP, but there's not a great deal of difference between them. Won't cure the thing with flat power at WOT until 6K, but it will probably clear up your bog.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:47 PM

Tokyo Mods could have made that carb thing much easier. And a lot less trouble.

Ha! You're funny.
Obviously you've never dealt with them before....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:54 PM

How does the suspension and handling stack up against your CRF450X now that you got the YZ suspension working OK?

Hard to say. The bikes have such a completely different feel and handling; and one is Showa, the other KYB....and I think inherently the Showa is better to begin with....in my opinion..

I can say this: The Steric racing WR-YZ set up is the best riding and handling WR or YZ I have ever owned or ridden, by a wide margin....and soooo much better than any KTM, including the last two I tried last year, including multiple suspension tuning attempts....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:14 PM

UPDATE

The 170 main I put in at the start was a bad idea. I ,,, I....
Now that the carb is closer to being right, I re-visited the main, and sure enough, blubbering at WOT at very low rpms.
Just changed it to a 162 (YZ spec) and it's quite a bit better at 1/2 throttle and up, at low rpms.
Now I can accelerate uphill in a high gear again....which is the whole reason I like the WR's: TORQUE.

• KennyMc

Posted June 28, 2013 - 02:55 PM

UPDATE

The 170 main I put in at the start was a bad idea. I ,,, I....
Now that the carb is closer to being right, I re-visited the main, and sure enough, blubbering at WOT at very low rpms.
Just changed it to a 162 (YZ spec) and it's quite a bit better at 1/2 throttle and up, at low rpms.
Now I can accelerate uphill in a high gear again....which is the whole reason I like the WR's: TORQUE.

So you are now running with a stock main jet setting. Hmmmm . And what do you mean at Wide Open Throttle and very low RPM....seems kinda contradictory. Bill, you been sniffing glue again :-)

Edited by kenshaw720, June 28, 2013 - 02:59 PM.

• Parx_400

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hey Krannie,

Does the 2012 headlight fit right onto the 2007+headlight mounts?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 01, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hey Krannie,

Does the 2012 headlight fit right onto the 2007+headlight mounts?

Close enough, yes.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:09 AM

Learned something new today:

The WR's have 35mm un-tapered headers
The YZ's have 42-45mm tapered headers and exhaust
The back-pressure drop on the YZ pipe is designed to mate with the higher flowing YZ head
Other wise, the power band will shift to higher rpms.

So, I am going back to the stock WR header and a highly modified stock pipe, to get my bottom end back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.