2008 WR450F with 2006 YZ suspension and cams

219 replies to this topic
  • Parx_400

Posted June 07, 2013 - 07:10 AM

I don't think the Dyna is a waste of money, Everyone who has them love it. Since I have my WR all apart I might as well throw one in. they are 280 on ebay.

• beezer

Posted June 07, 2013 - 08:18 AM

What does the Dyna do besides lighten your wallet?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am going away for the weekend. If you want, I can go remove mine and leave it on the porch or you can come get my whole bike Friday night before we head out... I wanna see you beat this problem..

Derwud

That's awesome dude! But I don't have the WR on the radar for this weekend.
I have a friend testing the TPS for me, and he is also re-vavling the suspension front and rear too.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:31 AM

What does the Dyna do besides lighten your wallet?

The stock ignition module has a known design flaw, as well as a design inadequacy.

The stock set up works with (2) distinct ignition curves, and 'toggle's between the two depending on temp, rpm, and throtte position.
The problem is the two curve have no transitional overlap, so when it jumps from one curve to the other, you feel it, in the form of a 'stutter.
The stock curves also are very, very mild. The advance begins normally enough, but goes flat on curve #1 way too early, and on curve #2, it does not advance fast enough to keep up with the rpms.
The result? A 'dead' feeling to the throttle response, and an inconsistent curve choice at multiple rpms (lower).

The Dynatek removes all of the above problems, adds more advance at idle (better starting), and offers (3) optional curves for even more advance.
In other words, more power, better power, no more stutter, and optional mapping choices on the fly.

• beezer

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Satan get behind me.

Like I need more power than the bike already has.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Satan get behind me.

Like I need more power than the bike already has.

It's not just about more power, it's about BETTER power.
Power that is smooooth and buttery and predictable and will PULL YOUR ARMS OUT OF THEIR SOCKETS in a most gentle and loving way.

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2013 - 07:29 PM

The "Big Block Chevy" effect.

If you can hear it, it's in the power band. That kind of thing.

The essence of true thumpers.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 07, 2013 - 08:18 PM

[size=4]OK, TPS is in calibration, and power is better, but it's worse in stutter, so I just ordered a Dynatek DFS-23P and [/size]

[size=4]a DIP-K7 USB programmer[/size]

Edited by Krannie, June 07, 2013 - 08:19 PM.

• beezer

Posted June 09, 2013 - 04:30 AM

I finally put the Hotcams in last night. The bike starts much better now with the button but it doesn't run as good.

Before the bike had nice hit right off the bottom. Now it's smoother but goes right against the rev limiter.

I guess I need to spend 300 on the Dyna ignition.

• Parx_400

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Why did you go with hotcams instead of stock YZ cams?

BTW I will have some power reports soon as my built is done. I have a free weekend (I think)

06wr 450
Dynatec CDI
YZ cam
PC full pipe
Total open top airbox with 4 cell battery relocated.
JD rejet kit.

Should be lots of fun soon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Why did you go with hotcams instead of stock YZ cams?

Because if you go with OEM YZ cams, the E-start will no longer work.

• Parx_400

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:58 PM

I have been out of the WR loop for a bit but my 05wr450 with a yz cam started just fine. I thought it was the hot cams ones that had the issue.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:29 PM

I have been out of the WR loop for a bit but my 05wr450 with a yz cam started just fine. I thought it was the hot cams ones that had the issue.

It works if you time it wrong.

• Parx_400

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't think that is right. There are lots of people who have done this and it's been fine. The old hot cams set did not work about 6 years ago. I had the stock yz cam in my 05 and put 5000 motard mies on it. It ripped.

Update
Ok I see you other thread about the cams. It sounds like the yz cam for a yz from hot cams does not work.

Btw your bike looks great with the 2012 light and fender. Good luck with the rest of your mods.

Edited by Parx_400, June 10, 2013 - 08:19 PM.

• beezer

Posted June 11, 2013 - 06:24 AM

My e-start wouldn't start the bike half the time with a YZ exhaust cam when hot and never when cold.

Now the bike starts right up with the Hotcams. It's something to do with the timing of the decomp I'm told.

• n16ht5

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:00 AM

I posted a thread on how to run yz cams and keep e start a few months ago...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 12, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image

• KennyMc

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

Cool, you bought me 1 :thumbsup:

• gcally

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Posted Image

That's all we get? We need more pics and install report?

Edited by gcally, June 13, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:55 AM

That's all we get? We need more pics and install report?

Patience my son.

Forks are off (stiffer springs, new valving, SKF seals and bushings)
Front wheel/rim being re-built (out of round)
Seat is off (adding 1" of height)

Thank God I have this while I wait for parts...

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.