https://www.youtube....sHtGtsg&index=2

Nice. Do you notice any added power from the argyle socks? :thinking:

:smirk:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Nice. Do you notice any added power from the argyle socks? :thinking:

:smirk:

Those are Yamaha Factory Issue socks.
Limited edition, spun from pure Unobtainium.

Yeah, so I didn't change out of ALL of my work clothes that day....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 26, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Sold the FMF Ti system (practially gave it away at $150) and picked up a NOS 2009 YZ450F exhuast by Dubach Racing.

It's WAAAAY to loud, but boy does it work. I'll have to work on the db level with a tricky insert....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2243.JPG
  • IMG_2242.JPG

• dustdogg

Posted April 26, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Kinda hard to tell in the second pic but how is the access to the oil filter? I read up alot about the Dr. D system and it seemed like on most bikes you had to loosen the headpipe to access the filter. I ended up buying an FMF Q4 off another TT member that had never been used and I added a power bomb to go with it. I have been pleased with the performance over stock and the sound level is "just" right.

Thanks for the updates, its coming along nicely!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 26, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Filter access is 100% fully attached.

It's not built as well as other Dr D pipes I've had in the past...perhaps because it's a 'MX' exhaust, and not a 'Enduro' exahust, like on my CRFX.

For the X they sell an MX, Baja, and Standard versions.

• dustdogg

Posted April 26, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Good to hear about filter access. I didn't know they had different versions, at least for some bikes. I hear the Dr. D is a very high quality pipe.

Edited by dustdogg, April 26, 2013 - 04:35 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 27, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Tomorrow is the first official 'full day' ride with the new WRZ.....!

Edited by Krannie, April 27, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 28, 2013 - 02:48 PM

4.28.13 UPDATE

- Suspension: is now VERY close. I had to turn the high speed compression in the rear out 1 full turn, and click in on the low speed 4 clicks, and now the rear stays up most of the time, but no longer 'kicks' to the side on square edged holes. The front still has valving issues. It sits too low in the stroke, and blows through to the mid-valve too quickly, making the fork feel like it has limited travel. It will have to be re-valved (again)

- Hot Cams YZ grind: Well, it's hard to say, because I am having lean-bog issues with the carb. Right now the motor is WAY too peaky, but I attribute that to the lean condition. It's incredibly fast on top; so fast that it lifts the front end almost every time with full throttle, in any gear, when you get up to about 7500 rpm. Fun, but pointless.
The goal is to have exactly the same amount of low-end torque as stock, but right now it does not have that, probably because of the jetting issues.

- Jetting: Well, something went wrong today. If feels like the apump stopped working mid ride. Tons of full throttle bog, and not much better with roll on throttle.
I suspect something is clogging both the nozzle and the nozzle passage, and I will have to double check that I put in the correct (short rivet) diaphragm.
At least I believe I know exactly how to solve it. Also, it is too rich on the pilot circuit. Best fuel screw setting is .5 turns out. I might have put in a 48 pilot? Can't
remember. The ampump gurgling out fuel isn't helping this either....

- Handling: Pretty damn good. Even with the divey-harsh fork, it is holding lines at full throttle on very rough terrain, and on closed throttle going down very steep hills. One of the deal breakers of owning the KTM is that it handled TERRIBLY going down hill with engine braking. So bad, you had to pull in the clutch to get it to go straight. Not with the WR. Very easy to go down steep hills, loose momentary control, and quickly regain it. Awesome. It just LOVES to jump the water diversion lips on the USFS maintained trails.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:34 PM

• kawi380

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Krannie,

Did you mount the12 headlight higher than the stock one?? I noticed there seems to be a huge gap between the fender and headlight. I've thought about how to move my light up so half of it doesn't shine on the fender :thinking:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 02, 2013 - 04:27 PM

No, that is a stock fit.
The clamps are not OEM, but next to a '12 it is essentially the same.

The light does not hit the fender. First time ever I've had that.,...

• kawi380

Posted May 02, 2013 - 04:41 PM

No, that is a stock fit.
The clamps are not OEM, but next to a '12 it is essentially the same.

The light does not hit the fender. First time ever I've had that.,...

Guess I never looked that close at the newer headlight/fender setup. Finally the design guys figured out the light is worthless if it doesn't shine on the ground. :jawdrop:

• gcally

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Any updates on the suspension testing? Did you get the carb all worked out?

Quick question...
Have you ever ridden a 12 WR450?
I was curious how the older WR with YZ forks compared to the new 250 framed WR's.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Any updates on the suspension testing? Did you get the carb all worked out?

Quick question...
Have you ever ridden a 12 WR450?
I was curious how the older WR with YZ forks compared to the new 250 framed WR's.

Carb issue has been solved.
I had an extreme rich condition due to a ovaled needle jet, and had too large a pilot (now 45) and too rich of needle clip setting (NCVS, now 3rd).
Oh, and the fact that the air cleaner was rotting, didn't help. It looked fine, but did not pass as much air as it should, which made the even more rich condition baffling.....

Suspenion is still not sorted in the front.
Rear works great.
I have not had time to mess with the front. It has excessive stiction, and rides too low in the stroke. I might have to shim the springs 3 or 4mm.

Yes, I have ridden 3 '12's.

They are smaller (seat/peg/bar relationship) to the point it will not work for me (6'4")
They are very smooth in power delivery. I rode a stock one, a GYTR uncork kitted one with the 'slippery surface' mapping, and a full GYTR kit with cam and YZ mapping and suspenion re springing and re valving. Stock is basically un rideable off road. GYTR uncork and primary map ,makes it a bit faster than the '11, but with less torque.
The full GYTR kit makes it as fast as YZ, and with much more power everywhere.

The power delivery is seductive and very smooth, which makes the bike feel more refined and easier to control the throttle.

I like the handling of the older models better (slower, more neutral, less over steer) better.

• Derwud

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I love watching you build bikes!!! Makes me drool about what my bike could be!!! Need to put a PB2 on my shopping list along with a set of those hangaurds!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Did another 'real' ride today.

Not great.

The suspension is very harsh still.

I had to raise the forks up in the clamps to get it to settle down on the rocks (we rode Piru Creek trail from top to bottom, and back again....whew...)

The motor is not impressing me. The YZ cams, so far, do not give me what I was hoping for: additional power throughout the stock powerband.
The jetting is still very far off (very rich on the needle), so I may be retracting this later, but for now, the power curve is essentially shifted up about 2500 rpms, with an additional 20% above 6000 rpms.
Kind of peaky....

The bottom end ultra-torque that the stock un-corked and properly jetting motor has, is no longer there....

• gcally

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Did another 'real' ride today.

Not great.

The suspension is very harsh still.

I had to raise the forks up in the clamps to get it to settle down on the rocks (we rode Piru Creek trail from top to bottom, and back again....whew...)

I am surprised that you have not had better luck with the YZ forks. Maybe you have a bad bushing or something making them seem harsh. Did you suspension guy ever check to see if the upper on inner tubes are slightly bent and causing a binding effect.

I know you said in you previous post that they are still way better than reworked WR forks do you think that statement is still true after your last ride?

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I am surprised that you have not had better luck with the YZ forks.

I'm not. The SSS fork on YZ's is an MX setup, and they take a bit more than the usual shim shuffle to get them to work well in an intense off-road environment. A lot of tuners aren't really tuned in to the differences that well, with as much focus as there is on MX in the dirt bike world in general. Can be done, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the factory has done with them on the '12 WR.

• beezer

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:50 AM

My 08 WR with YZ cams pulls hard right from idle.

Best motor I have ever owned.

There has to be something not right on your bike somewhere.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:03 AM

My 08 WR with YZ cams pulls hard right from idle.

Best motor I have ever owned.

There has to be something not right on your bike somewhere.

I don't disagree with you.....and I am starting to think I have a fried ECU.......cause it's more sluggish, even with the stock cams... than any other WR I've owned. I'm wondering if the ignition advance system is no longer working.......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.