Would the YZ450F reversed head fit?

8 replies to this topic
  • JohnBee

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Anyone know if the YZ450F reversed head would fit on a WR450F?
I really like cleaned-up look of the YZ450 and was wondering if the heads were compatible?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Anyone know if the YZ450F reversed head would fit on a WR450F?
I really like cleaned-up look of the YZ450 and was wondering if the heads were compatible?

Please tell me you are joking.

If you are not joking, please do not work on your own bike, for reasons of safety to your self and others.

• JohnBee

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for your contribution(lol) :)

Anyone else know if the two are compatible?
This would be for 2013 models btw.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:37 AM

The head itself will not fit.

It's for a completely different motor.

If it did fit, you would have to make your own gas tank, air box, seat, exhaust, intake, because they are all designed around the different frame and motor of the YZ.

The YZ airbox is where the gas tank was.

The YZ exhaust is where the airbox was.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnBee

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:36 AM

The head itself will not fit.

It's for a completely different motor.

If it did fit, you would have to make your own gas tank, air box, seat, exhaust, intake, because they are all designed around the different frame and motor of the YZ.

The YZ airbox is where the gas tank was.

The YZ exhaust is where the airbox was.

Thank-you for a helpful reply.
I figured as much but I wanted to confirm this was the case with others before drawing a conclusion.

I'm trying to determine which approach would be most feasible to build an enduro style bike with a reverse head design. a) head change OR B) gear/tranny swap. And by the sounds of it, the gear swap would likely be the most feasible method to take.
That being said, does the WR450 have added cooling capacity(fluid/rad surface area)?

Edited by JohnBee, March 29, 2013 - 07:39 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 29, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thank-you for a helpful reply.
I figured as much but I wanted to confirm this was the case with others before drawing a conclusion.

I'm trying to determine which approach would be most feasible to build an enduro style bike with a reverse head design. a) head change OR B) gear/tranny swap. And by the sounds of it, the gear swap would likely be the most feasible method to take.
That being said, does the WR450 have added cooling capacity(fluid/rad surface area)?

While your project may sound fun to you, it sounds like waaay more trouble than it's worth.
The Reverse motor is hated by the Factory Yamaha offroad teams for the difficulty in doing simple things like air filter service (must remove the tank), changing tank sizes (no good options), changing the pipe (it's $800 for a pipe change), etc, etc.

You will have to do more than a gear change if you want to make a YZ into a WR.
All electrics, stators, add a battery, wiring harness, ECU, etc etc will all need to be changed to get a working electrical and ignition system for lighting.

You should go to Yamaha's website and read up on both bikes.

Most/all specs are right there for you to compare with.

And yes, all Enduro bikes have more radiator capacity compared against their MX cousins.

• JohnBee

Posted March 29, 2013 - 11:35 AM

While your project may sound fun to you, it sounds like waaay more trouble than it's worth.
The Reverse motor is hated by the Factory Yamaha offroad teams for the difficulty in doing simple things like air filter service (must remove the tank), changing tank sizes (no good options), changing the pipe (it's $800 for a pipe change), etc, etc.

You will have to do more than a gear change if you want to make a YZ into a WR.
All electrics, stators, add a battery, wiring harness, ECU, etc etc will all need to be changed to get a working electrical and ignition system for lighting.

You should go to Yamaha's website and read up on both bikes.

Most/all specs are right there for you to compare with.

And yes, all Enduro bikes have more radiator capacity compared against their MX cousins.

I knew about the tank removal/air filter procedure though I don't think I've ever heard about $800 pipes.
That being said, are you saying it's more expensive for an aftermarket pipe with the reversed engine design than with other bikes?

Beyond that, I wouldn't bother with a starter and battery as my priorities are in keeping weight down, though I'd definitely need a headlamp which I'd likely tackle with a low current LED setup. Aside from that, the wide ratio transmission is likely what stands at the top of my list. Which leads me to my next question: Are the gears in the 2013 bikes still compatible as they were in earlier models or has that changed with the rear facing engine design?

Edited by JohnBee, March 29, 2013 - 01:28 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Some of your questions are probably better addressed in the YZ450 forum. The point is that the change you suggest making to a WR is about as simple a proposition as converting a Honda Accord Coupe to a Chevy V8 with rear wheel drive. It would amount to a major remake of the bike, start to finish.

The '10-'13 model YZ450 will accept the '06+ WR trans, either whole or just the top two gears, but it does require the earlier output shaft, which the conversion to '06-'09 YZ's did not.

Air filter service on the '10+ YZF's takes about 3 minutes. Not as easy as a WR, certainly, but probably still less a PITA than the CRF.

• JohnBee

Posted March 29, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Some of your questions are probably better addressed in the YZ450 forum. The point is that the change you suggest making to a WR is about as simple a proposition as converting a Honda Accord Coupe to a Chevy V8 with rear wheel drive. It would amount to a major remake of the bike, start to finish.

The '10-'13 model YZ450 will accept the '06+ WR trans, either whole or just the top two gears, but it does require the earlier output shaft, which the conversion to '06-'09 YZ's did not.

Air filter service on the '10+ YZF's takes about 3 minutes. Not as easy as a WR, certainly, but probably still less a PITA than the CRF.

Thanks for the helpful info grayracer
Though I must admit, this thread sort of got away from me as it started with a WR question but sort of morphed into a YZ related topic. :/
At any rate, you answered my final question perfectly and I've made-up my mind as to what direction I'm going to go from here as a result of that.
Thanks again to everyone for helping out with this.

JohnBee

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.