Swingarm chain rub

9 replies to this topic
  • Carlcox89

Posted March 28, 2013 - 12:38 PM

I started the conversion of my wr to sm but faced some problems
Posted Image
II am worried about the chain...as you can see it will rub and damage the swingarm.
My transmission is 14/41, going one or two tooths wont make significant difference.
What can i do to prevent this???

• miweber929

Posted March 28, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Larger front sprocket, but change the rear to give you the same ratio.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 28, 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't see the problem.
Put on a TM Design works rubstrip and you will be fine.

• Carlcox89

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:50 PM

May be because the angle i took the picture is not the best... but even if i sit on the bike and have someone looking at the chain it doesnt do a straight line, causing serious "pressure" on the swingarm that will cause chain slider wearing very fast and affecting the swingarm for sure.
I dont think going up one tooth front and 3 rear will make such difference :/

Edited by Carlcox89, March 28, 2013 - 04:52 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:11 PM

May be because the angle i took the picture is not the best... but even if i sit on the bike and have someone looking at the chain it doesnt do a straight line, causing serious "pressure" on the swingarm that will cause chain slider wearing very fast and affecting the swingarm for sure.
I dont think going up one tooth front and 3 rear will make such difference :/

No, that won't matter at all.
Once you sit on the bike, the chain will be straighter, and , if you look at KX450's and several other bikes, they are way worse than this stock.

The TM and the Malcom Smith rub strips will last you two years for more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Carlcox89

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Krannie, previously i was running rear rider sag of ~95mm, how much rider sag do you think is good for street/road normal usage (no jumps, no extreme riding) ?
i've already set rear shock absorver low compression to stiffer (maximum), tomorrow will set rebound to stiffer also. The only thing i dont know is the ideal rider sag (i weight about 75kg and have the stock spring)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Race sag should be 95-100mm with 25mm of static sag, IMHO.
You have to measure both.

If you provide less sag, you will have quicker steering, which you probably don't want for the street.

• n16ht5

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:25 AM

why in the world are you running 14/41????

16T CS sprocket~! make sure you mod your case saver properly to fit it or mill out a new one. 16/48 puts me at 5000rpm at 60mph with a knobby.. not sure what a slick would run at

• Carlcox89

Posted March 29, 2013 - 11:24 AM

why in the world are you running 14/41????

16T CS sprocket~! make sure you mod your case saver properly to fit it or mill out a new one. 16/48 puts me at 5000rpm at 60mph with a knobby.. not sure what a slick would run at

I dont need to do a lot of highway, so 14/41 is acceptable for me... maybe going to 15, but everyone i see has 14 or 15 / 40,41,42,44

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2013 - 06:06 AM

I dont need to do a lot of highway, so 14/41 is acceptable for me... maybe going to 15, but everyone i see has 14 or 15 / 40,41,42,44

....but if you don't do a lot of highway, 15/50-51 should be fine. 55mph at 5000 rpm.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.