Hot start question

2 replies to this topic
  • splee

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hey I have a 2008 yz450f that I bought recently. Well I bought it and the hot start was seized. I managed to get the plunger out but broke one of the little tabs off in the process. So ordered a whole new cable (I think it has a new plunger attached?) And its supposed to be here tomorrow but I was hoping to ride today. I assumed I was SOL on riding but yesterday I figured I would see if it would run. It started first kick cold and seemed to idle fine, gave it a few short revs and it seemed ok but I didn't let it warm up all the way or ride it around. So can i run it without the plunger in there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:55 AM

No. You'll be running too lean, and with an air leak that will affect the entire throttle range. If you have to ride it, put the plunger back in with the the seal, drop the spring in, and run the plastic retainer nut down to hold it. Tape off the hole in the top of the nut, and go.

• splee

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured was it would be lean I just thought it would be bad enough it would barely run when it was cold. Well thanks for the fast response

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.