Floating a WR426 ground w/o modding the stator!

12 replies to this topic
  • TheUpCycler

Posted March 28, 2013 - 06:24 AM

I am in the midst of converting an '01 WR426F to street legal and found that while floating the ground is necessary a modification to the stator is not.

I know otheres must have figured this out (it's burried in Baja tech info BajaDesigns) and it will work on other bikes as well.

The stator is grounded so you just ground one of the yellow wires on your voltage reg (I used the ground {black wire} coming from the stator going to the CDI maintaining the connect w/ the CDI {because it's located in the same place you plug the other and it's the most direct route}), the other goes to yellow, red goes to positive battery terminal and black to negative terminal. All DC items are then grounded to the battery and not the frame (frame is ac grounded but not dc) and voila, a floating grounded circuit! If anything DC is grounded to the frame the battery won't charge.

Works like a charm and best of all no modification is necessary! In fact Yamaha has even outdone themselves w/ their awesome electrical connects that easily assemble and disassemble so that snipping wires is rarely, if ever, necessary and all stock connects and switches can be retained to reverse the conversion back to stock at any time.

The stock stator is 130 watts so I've put LED's in the head and tail light (direct replacements ordered online at no additional expense over conventional bulbs) and am using LED t/s's for a total wattage less than the original headlight bulb. Theoretically, I still have a 100 watts of extra power and my lights are super bright!

Cheers!

• wayneoXCF

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Awesome news. I am in the process of doing this after many years of blowing it off. Need my bike to be as legal as poss this year. Im piecing my kit together and only need a few more things. You know where can I get a battery / regulator combo?

• TheUpCycler

Posted March 29, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Here is the Regulator and Battery that I used. The regulator is for scooters, go karts etc I can post the configuration if necessary. The battery I fixed to the top underside of the rear fender w/ double sided tape and safety wire (for safety). Cheers! and good luck!

• wayneoXCF

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:05 AM

Awesome job UpCycler. Ordering those items today. I will gladly take any config tips, diagrams, etc! Feel free to email or pm me. Hey while your at it, do you have a link for some rubber mounted LED t/s'?

Edited by Wayneo426F, April 01, 2013 - 06:50 AM.

• wayneoXCF

Posted April 20, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Again I have to say, great post. Im 90% ready with all parts, etc. Bought the SLA battery, rectifier, bar switch. About to get this electrical job started. A few final questions before I get going.

1) Do I need a WAGO box to connect everything under the seat and to the battery?
2) Will I need a relay for the LED t/s's? Or will they work at full strength and flash properly?

Thanks again, this post has really helped me in a HUGE way.

• Boerboel

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Im pretty sure I saw his bike on local CL a few weeks ago, didnt stay up there long. I cant help with the WAGO box but I can confirm you do need a LED blinker relay. So far im running LED head/tailights and rear turn signals, they work great but still blink chaotically at low RPM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dgw1972

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hey upcycler, can you show a pic of the wire you grounded? I just got a 99 wr400 that the previous owner installed a baja designs dc kit on. I'm assuming he didn't do the stator mod since the battery does super fast if I try to use an h4 55w bulb.

• zd426

Posted May 23, 2015 - 12:26 PM

So I really like this idea but the instructions are extremely unclear. Does anyone have a link to a write up or some pictures?

• zd426

Posted May 23, 2015 - 01:56 PM

So this is what I did... We shall see soon if it charges or not!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150523_144731445.jpg

• zd426

Posted May 24, 2015 - 10:41 AM

Well it could be because my battery got too low and won't charge but what I did doesn't seem to work. Help!

• WillieV

Posted August 11, 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hey Guys,

Has anyone else tired this successsfully?

I just got a WR450F (06) a couple days ago...

Im thinking i have a big issue with my electricals, when i put my headlight on the bike nearly dies after riding it a bit( and loses all power) im thinking the batery drains and the bike just doesnt have electrical power to run properly...

Or should i just look at the normal stator mod?

• toten

Posted August 11, 2015 - 05:48 PM

WillieV, my WR had lighting converted to DC without changing the charging system so it would drain the battery and then die like yours. High RPM cut out first. Turning off the lighting makes it run fine. 

I bought the R/R and a gasket but haven't gotten around to doing the mod yet, this would make it easier...

edit: looking at the diagram I don't think this can be done to the bikes that have a magic button as I believe they have 3 wires off the stator.

Edited by toten, August 11, 2015 - 05:49 PM.

• WillieV

Posted August 13, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Thanks toten,

Ok so will do the normal stator mod, i hope i dont mess up as id hate to have to send the stator to the US from Zambia coz i made a small mistake!!! Thanks for the advice!!

Willie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.