First ride 04 WR450

30 replies to this topic
  • dez4ever

Posted December 01, 2003 - 10:03 AM

So I took the new bike out this weekend and put about 110 miles on it. No real mechanical problems to speak of...I did bend the rear brake rotor pretty bad and I'm not even sure how I did it but the rear wheel would barly spin. The bike started easy with both the electric and the kick starters...I had to use both to make sure there were no problems. It pulls nice and hard through the gears in the high rpm range, it is missing the snap of my 02 YZ(BK mod & Power Now). It handled great and the normal riding postion was very comfortable and just seemed to work well all around. I think I'll start with the JD kit and some airbox mods and go from there. It does look like it will need the BK mod and maybe a YZ cam down the road.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 01, 2003 - 01:41 PM

I think I'll start with the JD kit and some airbox mods and go from there.

Thanks for the write up......Why do you need a JD kit? I'll bet you'll never be able to jet it any better than stock..
As far as the "snap" you're missing, It's gone.. They smoothed out all of that, just smooth torque... Let us know how things go..

Dan :)

• Oouthere

Posted December 01, 2003 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the write-up. I'm having to wait for my hand to heal before I will get mine, hopefully under three weeks.

Enjoy that beauty!

:)

Rich

• dez4ever

Posted December 01, 2003 - 03:04 PM

I think I'll start with the JD kit and some airbox mods and go from there.

Thanks for the write up......Why do you need a JD kit? I'll bet you'll never be able to jet it any better than stock..
As far as the "snap" you're missing, It's gone.. They smoothed out all of that, just smooth torque... Let us know how things go..

Dan :)

Why do you need a JD kit?

I'm not excatly sure what it needs, I just know that I need to get rid of the bog... it just plain sucks!! I'm not a fire road cruiser so when this thing falls on it's face and wants to throw me over the bars is something I'm not gonna let happen...it already came close a couple of times this weekend.

• Unibomber

Posted December 01, 2003 - 03:07 PM

Keep your reports coming, I came from a '02 yz426 and im seriously thinking of a WR. Im interested to see your comparisons. Im thinking, airbox mods, throttle stop, and some weight loss and she would rock big time for desert riding, and it has five gears :)

How fast was she in 5th high rpm, comparable to the 426 or no, ?????/

• dez4ever

Posted December 01, 2003 - 03:27 PM

This is actually my fourth Yamaha 4 stroke and it's my second WR. For the desert this bike is just easier to ride all around. The transmission is much better suited for desert riding just right out of the box. On my 426 I had it geared up to run in the 80's which gave it two problems. One being fist gear, not very good for tight technical stuff(even with a weighted flywheel) and the second being that it seemed to cause a lot of fatigue on the rider because it would run so high in the rpm's at higher speeds. I already like this bike better than my YZ for the desert it's just going to take a little dialing in....And as for losing some weight off the bike...I try looking in the mirror for weight loss inspiration before I go looking to try and shave a few pounds off the bike. It would be a lot easier for me to lose 15 pounds than it would to take it off the bike somewhere.

Oh...and as far as top speed? She seemed to pull very hard all the way through the top. It seemed much more stable than the YZ because the motor wasn't working as hard to sustain the speeds. I didn't actually get it completely topped out but based on my ride computer, which in the past has been acurate to withen a mph or two, I did get it up to 95 MPH

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 01, 2003 - 03:46 PM

UNIBOMBER -
I have had my '04 WR450 for almost two months now. To be honest when I first got it I wasn't all that impressed. Now that I've tweaked things a bit it's by far the best desert bike I've owned. My '01 WR426 was fully YZ'd and I liked it a lot but this bike feels much lighter even though they weigh about the same. I put the YZ cam in because I too thought it lacked much snap. After the cam and some jetting it runs awesome. Just about the same top speed as my '01 (maybe a little off but I'm not done tweaking yet). However the bottom end is just as strong and it's no problem getting the front wheel up in any gear. My friend has an '03 CRF and he has to gear up 3 teeth just to hang with this bike but his first gear is about equal to my 3rd! With no hands on the throttle this thing putts around at about 6 mph in 1st gear. When I bought the bike I wasn't too enthused about having e-start but once you've had it you'll never go back. Anyway there are a lot of good bikes out there now and IMO this bike is right at the top of the heap.

• dez4ever

Posted December 01, 2003 - 04:19 PM

Hey PBD,
I was just wondering what all you have done to your WR. Is the cam out of a 04 YZ? Did you install it yourself or did you have it done? Did you have any problems with the bog and if so how did you get rid of it?

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 01, 2003 - 05:09 PM

Well let'see. First I launched the headlight, rear fender and overflow rez. Lights only make me want to ride after happy hour which is not a good idea :D On the engine side the cam is the '03 part#. I installed it myself as this is my 3rd 4xx so I'm pretty comfortable with them. Measured valve clearance before and after. Fortunately after the cam swap the clearance was still in spec so no shimming required. I disabled the ACV valve and rejetted to an '03 YZ needle (4th clip), 45 pilot jet, 100 pilot air jet and a 168 main. I also installed a Zip-Ty pilot screw which is set at 2 turns out. With the electric start the stock screw is just about impossible to get at. All this was sort of my starting point for jetting on this bike but has turned out to be pretty close. I just got back from a week of desert riding and based on the performance I doubt I'll change it much. Bike ran strong, no bog, no popping on decel and had absolutely no starting issues. I used electric start exclusively the whole week. On the suspension side I went to a 5.6kg spring cause I'm not a 140lb japanese test rider. That and a couple of clicks more CD and RD front and rear has me pretty happy with the suspension. I've got a stock YZ exhaust coming from Ebay to replace the stock WR unit that weighs as much as the Titanic. That should just about do it... :)

• dez4ever

Posted December 01, 2003 - 05:33 PM

What is an ACV valve and what does it do? Is the timing the same with the YZ cam?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted December 01, 2003 - 05:55 PM

The ACV valve is the Air Cut Valve. WR's have them and YZ's do not. Basically it richens the mixture under high manifold vacuum conditions (like decellerating). I don't think there's a significant performance increase from removing it but I like to remove it because it's easier to tell what's going on with the jetting. If you do a search on it here you'll find lot's of info. As for the cam I assume you're referring to cam timing. If so it get's installed just like the WR cam as the new cam has the timing mark relocated to be in the correct spot. What I mean is that it get's installed per the manual and not rotated 1 tooth like doing YZ timing with the WR cam on the earlier models. Hope this helps.

• dez4ever

Posted December 02, 2003 - 09:29 AM

Thanks.

• MikeYarbrough

Posted December 02, 2003 - 10:19 AM

"Dez4Ever"...what's a track queen doing with a screen name like that??? :)

• 5spoke

Posted December 02, 2003 - 12:39 PM

Look what I got last night?
:) :D :D :D
Posted Image

Does anyone know what the hole is on in the middle of the right side of the head? It looks like its open to the inside of the head and dirt could get in.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 02, 2003 - 01:28 PM

It's a "weep" hole" for the sparkplug cavity.. It lets water drain out... Nice bike...... :)

• 5spoke

Posted December 02, 2003 - 02:12 PM

It's a "weep" hole" for the sparkplug cavity.. It lets water drain out... Nice bike...... :D

• dez4ever

Posted December 02, 2003 - 04:01 PM

"Dez4Ever"...what's a track queen doing with a screen name like that??? :)

Hey "Yardbird" you must be confused, don't you KTM owners need to hang out on the MMI site to keep your bikes running??

• RichBaker

Posted December 02, 2003 - 04:14 PM

What does it take to disable the ACV? Sounds like I might want to do it to mine...

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 02, 2003 - 04:43 PM

I've got a Word file describing how I disable it but I'm not sure how to get it posted here. Anyone know if it's possible to post a Word document? :)

• Oouthere

Posted December 02, 2003 - 04:59 PM

Try using a copy and paste....

Rich

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.