Shave weight from 2012 WR450F

11 replies to this topic
  • Jmulhollen

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:39 AM

this is my first "trail" bike or the first bike i've owned that hasn't been an MX bike.

Still getting used to the weight (on trails it feels nimble as hell but on sand i'm having some trouble) and wondering what i could shave that i'm not going to be using anyway.....I know of the following:

lighter battery
front light
rear light

other than that Im not really sure what to look for......with those items removed what in the world is causing this increase over a YZ450F? I know the radiators are a bit bigger but what else? The lights are negligible but based on the website I am showing a 30lb difference. I assume battery is around 5 lb's so is it just the electric start mechanism's and radiators that cause this?

• n16ht5

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:19 AM

shorai battery.

otherwise IMO you are pissing in the wind. Removing the headlight is something I would never do. Most of my summer rides are all day and into the night, especially when someone I ride with breaks down or I do. you could take off the tailight and put a YZ fender on which might help a few lbs, but I wouldn't bother. ride more and build up your endurance to overcome it. If you really wanted light you would have to take off the E start and remove the batt, wiring harness, computer, all lights... etc.. then you would be YZ light, but then you would be better off building up a YZ.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:27 AM

this is my first "trail" bike or the first bike i've owned that hasn't been an MX bike.

Still getting used to the weight (on trails it feels nimble as hell but on sand i'm having some trouble) and wondering what i could shave that i'm not going to be using anyway.....I know of the following:

lighter battery
front light
rear light

other than that Im not really sure what to look for......with those items removed what in the world is causing this increase over a YZ450F? I know the radiators are a bit bigger but what else? The lights are negligible but based on the website I am showing a 30lb difference. I assume battery is around 5 lb's so is it just the electric start mechanism's and radiators that cause this?

There are only a hand full of parts that are the same on both bikes.
Even all controls attached to the bars are different....
They are styled to look the same...

Off the top of my head....

Frame + 5
Motor + 13
Plastics + 2
Harness + 4
Hubs + 1
sub-frame + 1
triple clamps + 1
Stator +2
Battery +5
Tank +1
Controls +1
Headlight, tail light, associated brackets + 4

Edited by Krannie, March 25, 2013 - 11:29 AM.

• Jmulhollen

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:51 AM

There are only a hand full of parts that are the same on both bikes.
Even all controls attached to the bars are different....
They are styled to look the same...

Off the top of my head....

Frame + 5
Motor + 13
Plastics + 2
Harness + 4
Hubs + 1
sub-frame + 1
triple clamps + 1
Stator +2
Battery +5
Tank +1
Controls +1
Headlight, tail light, associated brackets + 4

where is this information from? your telling me the yz250f frame is 5 lb's heavier than the 450 frame?

and just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something right in front of my face.....my assumption was that removing the items i knew of (for example the lights) was a waste of time and not worth it.

• allterra

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:52 AM

lighter battery
front light
rear light

That all depends on the years. Remember this WR is a dedicated trail bike it is not intended to be a MX'er. As far as the sand goes I don't think the extra 30# is the issue it is more how you distribute the weight. I found that when I went from my YZ setup for the trails to my current WR it was like I had to learn to control the bike all over. Now that I have I would never go back. I'm sure in a short time you will see how the WR is made for the trails.

• Lumberjack450

Posted March 25, 2013 - 04:21 PM

If you wish, you can remove the lights, computer, electric start and battery, and speedo setup.

If you want to get extreme, I was considering some custom fabrication on a yz250f subframe and airbox for even more weight loss!

I would think switching to a 19 rear would help, but at that point why even buy a WR?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SDLineman

Posted March 25, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure of the weight difference between the YZ and WR pipe, but an aftermarket one is another good place to drop a few lbs.

Edited by SDLineman, March 25, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 25, 2013 - 05:44 PM

:smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc:

• RichGuy

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Had some experience with this on my 07 WR450F,

Shorai lithium battery weighs 1.5 lbs - 3.5 lbs savings
Stock YZ exhaust from 08-09 (titanium) - save 4 lbs
YZ rear titanium spring - save 3 lbs
Tubliss inner tubes - save 1 lb per wheel and no more flats...
Ironman rear sprocket - 1 lb savings and lasts forever
YZ footpegs, ditch the kickstand - 2 lbs savings

About 15 lbs lighter now and still have lights and electric start. I also ditched the lights, got YZ rear fender(slight customizing required), and removed AIS(can do that in TX) and airbox snorkel. Get as aggressive as you want, but keep In mind the mods I listed to lose the 15lbs are mostly upgrades in performance or functionality as well...

Rich

• cwallershasta

Posted March 27, 2013 - 05:08 AM

I considered all this stuff too, but then realized why I made the switch from YZ to WR. I'm kinda liking my headlight, kick stand, computer, etc. I told my riding buddies I was thinking on ditching the headlight and they said don't do it because they like it too as well as all the people I encounter on the mt single track. I will definately go to the lighter battery someday when I need a new one, but I think N16hT5 is right, if I'm having problems handling this bike than I need to hit the gym. I actually like this bike better in than sand than the YZ 450 I had.

• Rocky739

Posted March 27, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Agreed the WR is on the piggy side.. My theory is to target the top half of the bike as that's the weight that makes the bike feel the heaviest. I have a 2003 so I can't be certain that everythings stayed the same over the years but here's where I helped the feel of my bike.

1) Shoari battery, that helps the most as the battery is pretty much a boat anchor sitting right under the seat. I didn't weight the stock one but guess it's upward of a 3lbs drop for 150.00 bucks.

2) Rear fender, I know this has changed over the years but by swapping out the stocker with a YZ fender and a polisport tail/brake extension I knocked another couple pounds off and made the bike look way cooler for about 40.00 bucks! Score!!! The rest of the the WR plastic seems like normal plastic I have no idea why they felt the need to make the rear fender triple thickenss?

3) Aftermarket slip on exhaust, again sitting way up high and made of some sort of platium allloy, the stocker vs, any aftermarket is a gain of a couple lbs in the right direction plus a performance boost for 200-300 buckaroos.

4) Fuel tank that carries the fuel lower, I'm a old Husaberg rider and this was their trick to make such a light feeling bike back in the day.. Again huge gain and for me a needed longer fuel range to boot. At six lbs per gallon a full bike is a handful after a fuel stop when your already beat tired. If I'm doing moto or short range stuff I never fill up all the way.

Things I'm not giving up are the e-start, kickstand, lights.. thats why I bought a trailbike. And you will have to pry the plate out of my cold dead hands! Dual-sport rides are way too much fun!
I grew up racing mostly 125's and had a very chop the throttle, inside line, pin it and dump the clutch style but when I started riding the Berg back in 1996 I found that a smooth keep up the momentum roll on the throttle outside line was probably faster for me and resulted in fewer spectacular crashes so I became hooked on big 4t bikes and still perfer them. I think mountain biking has also helped this as its all about flow and being able to keep momentum. Guess what im trying to say is a 450 4t is heavy so it does require a smooth energy conserving style that puts the horsepower to work for you instead of the increased weight against you.

• geoffro

Posted March 29, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Agree fully with rocky, alot of the "extra" weight is high up on the bike which magnifies the effect.
After owning plenty mx bikes(for mx racing) and occasionally riding trails with friends I battled getting used to my '05wr 450 weight.
Then I realised..I dont have to keep up with Scott Summers..lol, just enjoy the ride and use of all those extras. You can still race/push it
on the trails, just more of a workout.
Try lend a xr650l or klr for a little outride and the wr will feel like a 125mx bike after that!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.