STARTER DISASTER

6 replies to this topic
  • dossyboy

Posted December 01, 2003 - 02:01 AM

HELP! IVE ONLY JUST DISCOVERED YOUR HELPFULL FORUMS AND AM NEW TO POSTING SO ANY ERRORS PLEASE EXCUSE.I HAVE A 2003 WR450 THAT HAD ITS FLYWHEEL DONE FROM THE SHOP WHEN PURCHASED.HOWEVER IVE HAD A STARTER DISASTER IN THE WAY THAT TWICE NOW MY STARTER HAS CHEWED UP THE STARTER GEARS AND BROKEN MY CASING. RESULTING IN EXPENSIVE REPAIRS. IVE SEEN SOME OF THE POSTS RELATING TO THE WOODRUFF KEY ETC, IS THIS WHATS HAPPENING TO MINE? THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED WAS AS I HIT A LOG AND CARTWHEELED IT OVER. SO I ACCEPTED THIS MUST HAVE BEEN RIDER ERROR AND THOUGH NO MORE ABOUT IT. BUT WHEN IT HAPPENED AGAIN ONLY A MONTH LATER AND I HAVNT COME OFF IT SINCE (WELL NOT VERY HARD ANYWAY), I WAS OBVIOSLY CONCERENED. PLEASE HELP! SURLY THERE MUST BE SOMEONE IN THIS HIVE OF INFORMATION THAT HAS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM THANKS ADAM

• dossyboy

Posted December 01, 2003 - 02:04 AM

OOPS I FORGOT YOU LOT ARE ALL ASLEEP OVER THERE AT THIS TIME GOOD MORNING!

• CISCO

Posted December 02, 2003 - 01:34 PM

CAPS LOCK!!!! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dossyboy

Posted December 03, 2003 - 02:27 AM

CANT BEAT A CAPITAL LETTER!!! ANY WAY NO ONES ANSWERED MY QUESTION YET (although mtrablue was of help. thanks mate). Does anyone know how i stand with my bike being a german import, will yamaha be of any help if i didnt buy from an official UK dealer?

• dubious

Posted December 15, 2003 - 09:40 PM

Ok. I,ve been away for a while but I'll bite since no one else has.
:)
Most poeple have problems with the woodruff key shearing when the bike backfires.
In your case it would seem to me that the starter is remaining engaged ,or becoming engaged, while the bike is running, and the starter clutch is not working as intended.
Bolted to the back of your rotor is a clutch , which is designed to lock or engage in one direction, to turn the engine over, once the engine spinns faster than the starter motor it disengages.
If this sprag clutch was to remain engaged the starter assembly and gears would spinn much faster than designed to and would most likely be the culprit of your broken cases. :D

• Scarylong

Posted December 16, 2003 - 01:25 PM

CANT BEAT A CAPITAL LETTER!!! ANY WAY NO ONES ANSWERED MY QUESTION YET (although mtrablue was of help. thanks mate). Does anyone know how i stand with my bike being a german import, will yamaha be of any help if i didnt buy from an official UK dealer?

It is harder to read when all of the letters are CAPITALS.

Check this out.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe

And now with caps on.

AOCCDRNIG TO A RSCHEEARCH AT AN ELINGSH UINERVTISY, IT DEOSN'T MTTAER IN WHAT OREDER. ETC..

Have some respect for the people that are going to try and help you out (maybe).
Oh and (and I have no idea why) on the Internet typing in caps is Considered shouting.

Do us a favor MATE. DON'T SHOUT! :)

• Bri

Posted December 17, 2003 - 10:36 AM

dossyboy check your pm's
Brian

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.