Smog block off question

8 replies to this topic
  • rnrdozer

Posted November 30, 2003 - 08:56 PM

I have a 00' 650R and wanted to take the smog crap off it, can I just remove the smog unit that bolts to the right radiator and loop the two tubes going into the head together? or is there some reason for that unit. I noticed a vent hose ran all the way to the air cleaner. Thanks in advance.

• Eric_Mc

Posted December 01, 2003 - 02:15 PM

My 02 650r runs better without that stuff on it! I used the kit from Applied Racing which I purchased through TT. I removed all that tubing and you have to put a few plug/ caps on here and there. The hardest part is removing the two metal tubes that come out the front of the head! Mine was a Royal pain to get out! The rest was a snap! You will probably be hearing from the pros for there advice, they are awesome help! :) Good Luck!

• BWB63

Posted December 01, 2003 - 03:50 PM

Eric, Your a pro now tell him how you did it! :)

• Eric_Mc

Posted December 01, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Not quite! But thanks for your confidence. If he wants me to tell him, I will. I just have to figure out a way to tell him without all the cursing I used! It kinda went like this! :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted December 01, 2003 - 10:23 PM

You are a funny guy! Great humor. Isn't the thread with all this still going? It's got the whole mess! :D I looked new month it's gone :)

• fourstrokin650

Posted December 04, 2003 - 09:54 PM

On my 650, I pulled it all off and then cut the two tubes off of the plate that bolts to the head. I then welded the holes shut and bolted it back on (don't loose the orings). Free block-off kit! I also used an allen wrench that I cut down until it fit into that super tight area. That makes it easier as well.

• Eric_Mc

Posted December 05, 2003 - 07:43 AM

:jawdrop:I too tried the shortened allen wrench trick. I broke two wrenches before having to get a long screwdriver and a hammer to knock the %#@& thing loose! I think they (Honda) torqued mine to about 100lbs? It was a real pain! :D But it is all good now! :)

• big t

Posted December 05, 2003 - 08:25 AM

Do all the 650's have the smog stuff or is it just the CA models?

• qadsan

Posted December 05, 2003 - 08:44 AM

Just California models are blessed with the PAIRS smog system. CA is special :)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.