06 yz450f Bent white plastic fin radiator guard need opinionI

16 replies to this topic
  • Kennethyz450f

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:16 PM

[color=#282828][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hi there ok, So i just got an 06 yz450f and I layed it down once and it slightly bent the [/background][/color]oem[color=#282828][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] white fin plastic [/background][/color]radiator guard.[color=#282828][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]. Im posting a picture of it, it hasnt been bent that bad Im wondering if its still ridable and is not going to block my airflow, ive talked to several peoiple and they say its perfectly fine I just want another opinion. I attached a picture below, Thanks for your help, Ken.[/background][/color]

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-03-23_15-52-28_658.jpg

Edited by Kennethyz450f, March 24, 2013 - 04:19 PM.

• Yz4481f

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:31 PM

No problem with that you could even take it off by removing the bolt on the bottom of the shroud that goes into the nut on the guard. then try to bend it back .Nice bike by the way.

• TheBrock

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:33 PM

You're fine..I've ran much worse!!!

• Kennethyz450f

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks!, Ok sweet the shroud is bent to so im just going to replace both in a couple weeks but I want to ride in the mean time so I should be ok? its not going to restrict the airflow to my rad at all?

Ok Great!

• Flip665

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:59 PM

well it would be my opinion that if you laid it down and the plastic is bent I would have a few concerns... 1st, if its only the plastic you should be fine, fix it with careful use of a heat gun for cosmetic preference... 2. a guy I used to know 'laid my bike down' and crushed the right side of the radiator itself... I would look at the mounts, if they're bent it'll warp the plastic... easy way to see this is take the plastic fins off and see how the bolt holes line up without flexing the plastic...and then theres the radiator fins themselves to determine the severity... rad fins, if it don't leak and tubes are intact, can be straightened with careful use of a screwdriver... you don't want to be riding around with half your rad fins closed over...thatll ruin your cooling capability...

• cantpassthis

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:02 PM

yea check the rad itself it could be bent. otherwise just take a pair of pliers to that mount tap and put 'er back where it should be and it'll be fine.

• Kennethyz450f

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Ok thanks

• Kennethyz450f

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:56 PM

From what we can see in the pic does the rad look ok?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kennethyz450f

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Im on holidays and wont be able to closely look at my bike for a week kinda worried about it lol but nothing stoodout before i left thats when it happened the day i left

• Flip665

Posted March 25, 2013 - 04:30 AM

cant really tell from the pics... it wont be a problem till you ride it so no worries while on vacation...

• mikedabike

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:08 PM

The plastic is not bent. When you crashed you more than likely bent the mounting tabs for the plastic or the radiator itself. Straighten the mounts and the platic will go back to the original shape. Pretty common on any bike with radiators. You probably wont be able to get it perfect unless you send it out to have it straightened but you might be able to get it "good enough"

• Kennethyz450f

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:30 PM

can i ride it the way it is in the mean time

• Flip665

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:50 PM

can i ride it the way it is in the mean time

depends... see my previous post below... if it aint leaking or the rad fins aren't wrecked you should be fine just watch temp... my bike currently has a few rows that are "V'd" a little but still functional... with out a close pic of the actual radiator, I don't think anyone can say a legit yes or no... my opinion of course...

well it would be my opinion that if you laid it down and the plastic is bent I would have a few concerns... 1st, if its only the plastic you should be fine, fix it with careful use of a heat gun for cosmetic preference... 2. a guy I used to know 'laid my bike down' and crushed the right side of the radiator itself... I would look at the mounts, if they're bent it'll warp the plastic... easy way to see this is take the plastic fins off and see how the bolt holes line up without flexing the plastic...and then theres the radiator fins themselves to determine the severity... rad fins, if it don't leak and tubes are intact, can be straightened with careful use of a screwdriver... you don't want to be riding around with half your rad fins closed over...thatll ruin your cooling capability...

• Kennethyz450f

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ya I will check the rad out then and Bend those mounts back

• Jim813

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Be careful bending the mounts back. I haven't tried to bend them back but I've somehow cracked both the bottom mounts completely off more than once and had to weld them back on.

• Kennethyz450f

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:37 PM

The radiator was a little bent up we bended everything back very carefully and almost all the fins are intact rode all day today no problems ran great everythings is intact thx for the help erbody

• xXHaNsEnXx

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Mine were bent just like that. I placed them in front of the heater for 10 minutes and vise clamped inbetween the vents where the bend was. Left the clamp over night and they look fine

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.