Yz450f smoking after rebuild

10 replies to this topic
  • Chase Goodling

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:45 PM

I had rebuilt my bike... rode it for around 5-6 hours so far... and its starting to burn oil (visible blue smoke). Blip the throttle and it does it. I have heard that valves need adjusted after a few hours? Hope this is true.. i dont wanna tear it back down. Please help.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:05 PM

I had rebuilt my bike... rode it for around 5-6 hours so far... and its starting to burn oil (visible blue smoke). Blip the throttle and it does it. I have heard that valves need adjusted after a few hours? Hope this is true.. i dont wanna tear it back down. Please help.

Define 'I had rebuilt my bike'.....without some info, we have no idea how to help you.

• Chase Goodling

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Changed the piston, rings, pin, clips, valve seals, and gaskets. Just a basic topend rebuild

• Chase Goodling

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Took care of the oil problem.... but when i start the bike now it gets warm and coolant starts pushing out the overflow tube...

• antleo

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:42 AM

That could be normal, how long are you letting it warm up? what type of coolant and ratio are you using?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chase Goodling

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:53 AM

The coolant is 50:50 mix... but its way more than normal... looks like mtn. Dew coming out when you get on it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:16 AM

If it blows coolant while you are moving, that is, you start the bike and take off before it starts overflowing and still after a few minutes you have it blowing coolant, you may have a head gasket problem.

How did you torque the head?

• Chase Goodling

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I had torqued it to the correct torque... cant remember it off the top of my head.. plus 10 degrees. When the radiator cap is off idling it doesnt push but the time you put it on it pushes the overflow... could this be a clogged radiator?

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I had torqued it to the correct torque... cant remember it off the top of my head.. plus 10 degrees. When the radiator cap is off idling it doesnt push but the time you put it on it pushes the overflow... could this be a clogged radiator?

A clogged radiator would cause coolant to spill out even more with the cap off, wouldn't you think?

The correct torque process requires torquing to 22 lbs to precondition the gasket, then loosening and retorquing to 14 lbs plus 180 degrees, not 10.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=972816

• Chase Goodling

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:02 AM

if i were to put the overflow tube in a bucket of water and bubbles come out, would this be a good indication of a head gasket?

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Possibly, but steam is normal, and will blow bubbles if you do as you suggest.

Well equipped shops should have a tester to detect combustion gasses in the cooling system, which is an accurate means of testing this.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.