02 426 carb question

26 replies to this topic
  • 1fun426

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Should the brass fitting in the carb body for the main fuel line swivel? It doesn't have side to side play, but it will "spin".

The bike wont stay running after I start it, pops and runs like crap, so its getting lean somewhere...and I'm thinking that's the spot.

Attached Thumbnails

• fuel line to carb.jpg

• Tford713

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just ran out to the garage an mine does to? Never noticed it really. I rode 4-5 hours today on some pretty nasty stuff and bike rode awesome! Imo i don't think that's your prob bud. I also ride a yz426.

Edited by Tford713, March 22, 2013 - 07:56 PM.

• jcbikes

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:29 AM

2002WR426 and yes it swivels.

• 1fun426

Posted March 23, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like my hunt continues

• Tford713

Posted March 23, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Did it just start doing this? Has it always done that? Did you just get the bike?

• essex426

Posted March 23, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Check for air leaks, or your pilot screw is adjusted right.

• 1fun426

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Did it just start doing this? Has it always done that? Did you just get the bike?

Never done it. Ran fine last season. Sat for 6 weeks. Started it last week, took a few tries but she started and ran up the street a few times just fine. Tried again yesterday, thought I was going pass out from kicking it. It would run if choke was open and I was monitoring throttle, popping the whole time then die. then it would take a while to start again.
Havent touched the carb, hot start looks fine, going to clean it tomorrow and see what happens.

• Tford713

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:14 PM

Never done it. Ran fine last season. Sat for 6 weeks. Started it last week, took a few tries but she started and ran up the street a few times just fine. Tried again yesterday, thought I was going pass out from kicking it. It would run if choke was open and I was monitoring throttle, popping the whole time then die. then it would take a while to start again.
Havent touched the carb, hot start looks fine, going to clean it tomorrow and see what happens.

Yeah definitely clean that carb. Could be bad gas to a tiny piece of sand/dirt if not check your valves it's very easy. Just need a feeler gauge. Sounds like the carb though.

• 1fun426

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yeah definitely clean that carb. Could be bad gas to a tiny piece of sand/dirt if not check your valves it's very easy. Just need a feeler gauge. Sounds like the carb though.

Im going to throw some fresh gas in and see if it starts after a couple kicks. Then that carbs getting cleaned. As for the valves, if Im checking those may as well throw in a new exh cam to get auto decomp!

Thanks everyone for all the advice

• Tford713

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Im going to throw some fresh gas in and see if it starts after a couple kicks. Then that carbs getting cleaned. As for the valves, if Im checking those may as well throw in a new exh cam to get auto decomp!

Thanks everyone for all the advice

Now your talkin! Good luck hope it's something simple.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1fun426

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Put some fresh gas in and kicked for a few and she fired up. However, only stays idling with the choke, but doesnt pop as bad. Choke off idle drops and dies.

Edited by 1fun426, March 24, 2013 - 11:55 AM.

• 1fun426

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Here's what it sounds like with the choke on idling

http://s17.photobuck...59ab3c.mp4.html

• Tford713

Posted March 24, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm thinking pilot jet. Take your carb apart spray a bottle of carb cleaner inside and spray through your jets. Make sure the pilot jet isn't clogged. Did you try turning your idle up?

• 1fun426

Posted March 24, 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm thinking pilot jet. Take your carb apart spray a bottle of carb cleaner inside and spray through your jets. Make sure the pilot jet isn't clogged. Did you try turning your idle up?

All jets were clean, and I cleaned them again and the carb. I was surprised to see the pilot was a 72, bigger than I expected.
Unfortunately I went to move the exhaust tbolt clamp and the head snapped of, so I cant try starting it again until I get that fixed. But I think ill check the valves while im waiting and throw in a hot cam.

• Tford713

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:01 PM

All jets were clean, and I cleaned them again and the carb. I was surprised to see the pilot was a 72, bigger than I expected.
Unfortunately I went to move the exhaust tbolt clamp and the head snapped of, so I cant try starting it again until I get that fixed. But I think ill check the valves while im waiting and throw in a hot cam.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:14 AM

I was surprised to see the pilot was a 72, bigger than I expected.

That, I believe, is the starter jet, not the pilot.

• 1fun426

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:03 AM

That, I believe, is the starter jet, not the pilot.

I think you're correct. I just looked up the pilot... I took both opposing jets to the main. The short one had 72. It appears the longer one is the pilot. I didnt see a number on that one

• 1fun426

Posted March 27, 2013 - 07:01 PM

good news - carb clean did the trick. bad news - broke the fastener that holds the right side of the gas tank to the frame. Snapped it off almost flush. Tried drilling it out, then snapped my extractor when trying to extract it... now I cant find a bit that will actually drill it so I can attempt to extract it again. Now the hunt begins to figure out how to get the thing out.

• 1st_yzf426_myfoothurts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm sheet metal tech by trade and drilling a broken screw extractor is tricky business. I have done that before. The only thing I could recommend is to try and shatter the remains of the extractor which isn't easy either but its very hard material which also makes it brittle. And then find a better easy out

• 1fun426

Posted March 28, 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm sheet metal tech by trade and drilling a broken screw extractor is tricky business. I have done that before. The only thing I could recommend is to try and shatter the remains of the extractor which isn't easy either but its very hard material which also makes it brittle. And then find a better easy out

Getting some carbide bits today. Got the extractor out so I can try to drill again. Other problem is I forgot to keep the screw cool when I was drilling it out, so now im afraid I welded the thing in there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.