Does 1 or 2 teeth make that much difference?

7 replies to this topic
  • 426_Pilot

Posted November 14, 2001 - 11:52 AM

I'm thinking about getting a new rear sprocket. I want to know how much difference one or two teeth really makes? Is it really that noticeable?

I ride mostly MX with the night tracks SX style. I'm considering a 51t rear. What do ya'll think? Thanks.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 14, 2001 - 12:10 PM

Do the math!! Stock final ratio is 3.5/1. with 14 front and 49 back. If we go to 51 on back that drops final drive to 3.71/1. Or roughly 6%. This my friend you will feel in the seat of your pants for sure. My suggestion, while buying 52 toother ya pick up some new grips and a gripper seat too! Oh and watch the whole looping it out of the corner issue too!

Good luck and Hang ON! :)

• YZ400Court

Posted November 14, 2001 - 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
Do the math!! Stock final ratio is 3.5/1. with 14 front and 49 back. If we go to 51 on back that drops final drive to 3.71/1. Or roughly 6%. This my friend you will feel in the seat of your pants for sure. My suggestion, while buying 52 toother ya pick up some new grips and a gripper seat too! Oh and watch the whole looping it out of the corner issue too!

Good luck and Hang ON! :)

Yep, What he said. I was shocked how much easier my 400 was to ride in the tight stuff after going uo 2 teeth, and lucky I already had a gripper seat.

• MikeOK

Posted November 14, 2001 - 01:12 PM

I just put a 51 on my '00. I did it for a hare scramble, although I mainly do moto. I did one practice day at the track with it and I really thought it was too much of a change, but it did make the bike very much better for the hare scramble which was tight woods single track mostly. Next time I'm going with a 51 since I think it would be the best compromise. Best of all I guess would be to put the stock 49 back on and buy a EXC for scrambles but I don't think the wife would go for it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scottzx7rr

Posted November 14, 2001 - 01:37 PM

But adjusting the front is just as affective. After riding with Jason in KC and talking to him about his gearing. I went down to a 13 front and it has helped the bike greatly for drives out of the corner.

• eBayThumper

Posted November 14, 2001 - 05:00 PM

I agree the change is noticeable. I went to the 13 front and love it. I do a mix of riding. The up side of doing the front is that it was only $15 bucks or so and the rears are way more expensive.

I am told that one tooth up front = 3 in the rear so by going to a 13 it's like going to a 52 in the rear. I didn't do the math myself (and don't want to) but the bike really hops off the bottom! :)

Happy Trails...
J

• nozzlejockey

Posted November 15, 2001 - 09:08 PM

I also put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and found the only limiting factor to be I have to shift to 5th gear on some of the straights on my local track. I guess that is not really a problem just somthing I noticed.
Later

• Odie

Posted November 16, 2001 - 03:59 AM

I'm running a 51t rear and love it. It makes supercross type stuff much easier - it allows me to chug through corners and then snap out of them. On most tracks, I am now able to use 3rd gear for most of it with an occasional tap into 4th. On high speed tracks, you will be bumping into 5th a lot sooner so I guess this isn't something you desert guys want to change.

And yes, 1 tooth in front = roughly 3 on the rear. That may be too big a change.

Later,
Odie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.