To mod or to just buy aftermarket?

7 replies to this topic
  • Jtt_R

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Trying to take care of the oem chain slider issue and I'm wondering if it would be easier to just buy an aftermarket slider or modify the oem one? Will going aftermarket even solve the problem or will i still have to add something to eliminate the slipping? Thanks guys

• luvnoldcars

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Year and model of bike? What is the problem your having with the slider?

• Jtt_R

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Sorry, it's an 07 yz450f. And it's theoem chain slider that is loose and wears into the swingarm

• luvnoldcars

Posted March 21, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Take some high quality exterior double sided tape (Scotch outdoor mounting tape) and put it on the swing arm and leave the backing on it on the slider side. I did this on my 06 and on my 2012. I have35 hours on my 12 and it still hasn't wore though the tape yet .Posted Image

Edited by luvnoldcars, March 21, 2013 - 08:58 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I was going to modify the OEM slider, but ended up getting a TM designs slider instead. I haven't had any issues in over 150 hours that were experienced with the Stock part.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Trying to take care of the oem chain slider issue and I'm wondering if it would be easier to just buy an aftermarket slider or modify the oem one? Will going aftermarket even solve the problem or will i still have to add something to eliminate the slipping? Thanks guys

Let it slip. Just don't let it wear the swing arm: http://www.thumperta...ng-arm/
(posts #2 and #6)

• Jtt_R

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Let it slip. Just don't let it wear the swing arm: http://www.thumperta...ng-arm/
(posts #2 and #6)

It is starting to wear into the swingarm which is why I'm trying to figure out what i should do. I just wanted to know if the aftermarket sliders solve the wear problem before i spend the money. Thanks for the info guys

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:59 AM

The method I posted solves the problem with no modification to the existing slider, uses all OEM hardware, and allows the use of OEM or replacement "OEM Type" sliders, or any aftermarket slider. Used with your existing slider, it's a complete, long term cure for the problem (unlike simply applying sealant), does not lift the slider higher into the chain path as does foam tape, and is a whole lot cheaper than any aftermarket slider.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.