2007 CRF or YZ450

23 replies to this topic
  • etuke

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:25 PM

looking at the 2 bikes and was wondering what suspension will be the softest?I'm leaning towards the YZ but looking for info.

• etuke

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:56 PM

doesn't matter now as the suspension on the crf has been modified,rear shock has been changed to a plush riding one.

• Jim813

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Both are nice bikes. Honda's will need more engine attention in the maintenance department. The power delivery is smoother on the Yamaha, but the Honda feels a bit faster. I would go with whatever is in better condition.

• etuke

Posted March 21, 2013 - 10:16 AM

thinking about getting the crf as he has a akropovic full exhaust system extra shock,extra engine with a blown rod and cases but tranny is there plus other parts,unbreakable levers and extra exhaust.Plus its only down the street and other will cost me $200 extra for fuel to get it..What do you mean more engine maintenance?Filter and oil change should be the same for both bikes,i would think.I know the YZ are a bit more reliable but I'm not a racer,the yz426 I have hasn't seen the rev limiter since I bought it.

• Jim813

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:22 PM

With a comparable rider, I've experienced a CRF need more attention with valve adjustment and replacement. Pistons seem to wear out faster, but the valves are where I saw the most difference. Also, a CRF splits the gearbox and engine oil, so if a quality oil isn't used, it may break down quite a bit faster and contribute to increased wear. A quality oil, oil filter, and air filter maintenance program will go a long way, but a Yamaha top end will still last longer.

• Crusty Cy

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:14 AM

I'd go with whichever one is in better condition. Had the '07 CRF450, and while a decent bike, the Honda reliability was greatly overstated. These are not the old XR's, that's for sure. The suspension was harsh, and I could not hold a line in a rut. Never had an 06-09 YZF, but would assume the reliability is much better. There are guys in my district that have never even opened the top end on theirs, and perform only basic maintenance. Yamaha suspension is much better as well - I've not even revalved my recent bikes. Good luck in your search.

• idahoexcr500

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:54 AM

I had an 05 CRF450R for a couple of years (bought it new). Its very similar to the 07. I have had an 07 YZ450F for the last 3 years. I like the Yamaha allot more. Power is more managable, suspension is better too. My CRF was reliable while I had it. I did always worry about the valves though. My YZF has also been reliable. I have replaced timing chain and valve adjustment (once) and thats it.
From a maint perspective the air filter and oil changes are more of a pain on the Honda. However, the carb is easier to access on the Honda because of the frame design. Power on the Honda is more agressive, the engine revs much quicker and hits harder off the bottom. The Yamaha (mine has an aftermarket pipe/silencer) is mellower off the bottom, revs higher (and slower) and also is much less stall prone. Probably does not feel as fast but it is. The Yamaha really hooks up, even in dry conditions.

Both are good bikes, condition would probably be the major factor for me.

Hope this helps.

• etuke

Posted March 22, 2013 - 09:49 AM

you guys are making me re think the crf.

• Jim813

Posted March 22, 2013 - 09:50 PM

The CRF is a nice bike, I've ridden several. A lot of people I know prefer the handling/cornering of the 2007-2008 Honda over the 2007-2008 Yamaha, including myself. The suspension can be set up well on either bike. The power delivery is different, but I could learn to use either one.
Where I decided on a Yamaha was reliability. The CRF may not have the valve problems they were plagued with a in the earlier years, but the top ends still need quite a bit more attention than a Yamaha.

Like previously stated, the best bike may be the one in the best condition. Make a list of what you are looking for, and compare the two.

• rr558

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'd go Yammie as I've had both and the Yammie is better. The Honda will turn better but 22 clamps on the Yammie will fix that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • etuke

Posted March 23, 2013 - 08:41 AM

looks like the yammi is out guy wouldn't deal on the price and with the travelling cost it just not worth it.The crf is within walking distance and has a host of aftermarket parts plus spare parts.I will be wanting a new seat and anything other than black plastics but that can come with time.Going to test ride it tonight and if everything seems good I will be bringing it home.Thanks for all the input its been very helpful.

• luvnoldcars

Posted March 23, 2013 - 10:47 AM

One thing to think about with the honda is the fact it has an extra engine and shock. Usually people that have that aren't the type of people that was easy on the bike.

• etuke

Posted March 23, 2013 - 11:49 AM

well I'm back to the yammi again,found a 2007 that looks nice for the price of the crf.I went and tried the crf and it felt nice to drive but everytime it idled there was a fairly loud rattle coming from the engine,blip the throttle and it would be gone for awhile then back again.Sometimes idled no noise but other times it was loud.Thinking its probably chain tensioner but you never know.Also the engine was changed and I'm not sure what they put back,asked the guy to get it checked before I bought it and he said he wouldn't.Thing is he works for the Honda dealership here,also asked if he was planning another bike and he also said yes.So now I'm not feeling good about getting that bike although it did feel nice to drive.Will see what happens to the YZ tomorrow,hope it feels as good as the crf.

Just had a call from him and he is getting the mechanic to have a listen to it.

What year did the YZ get the SSS suspension?

Edited by etuke, March 23, 2013 - 12:27 PM.

• luvnoldcars

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:33 PM

What year did the YZ get the SSS suspension?

• Gunner354

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:57 PM

One thing to think about with the honda is the fact it has an extra engine and shock. Usually people that have that aren't the type of people that was easy on the bike.

It doesn't matter if the Honda is ridden easy or hard they all are plagued with engine problems. Every person that I know has engine problems with the Honda and everyone I know that owns a Yamaha has never had any problems. Yamahas seem to run forever. That's why I love the Yamaha! Who in they're right might would not see this? Even if the Honda was a better bike to ride, it's just not worth the constant engine issues and money needed to be thrown at a Honda. There are so many dislusional sheep that make decisions that are emotional based. To each is own though. Have fun dumping thousands into those Hondas.

• luvnoldcars

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:03 PM

It doesn't matter if the Honda is ridden easy or hard they all are plagued with engine problems. Every person that I know has engine problems with the Honda and everyone I know that owns a Yamaha has never had any problems. Yamahas seem to run forever. That's why I love the Yamaha! Who in they're right might would not see this? Even if the Honda was a better bike to ride, it's just not worth the constant engine issues and money needed to be thrown at a Honda. There are so many dislusional sheep that make decisions that are emotional based. To each is own though. Have fun dumping thousands into those Hondas.

I own a yamaha I know there reliable. I said what I said because there is so much more that can go wrong from being abused than just the engine.

• Krimble

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:11 PM

I have a WR450F, and tried CRF's a couple times. I can tell you my WR handled better to me than the CRF's. I really like the look of the Honda's, and the polished frames, but for Reliability, I can tell you the Yamaha's are quite a bit. Old Honda's are tough, but these days, they are just like most European and Japanese manufacturers.

• Crusty Cy

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I agree with the last few posts - I was a 30 year Honda rider and wouldn't even consider another brand. Now, it's clear to me there really isn't another choice other than Yamaha for overall quality and reliabilty. The valve train on the Honda is a genuine concern, both my '03 and '07 450's did not hold up that great. When I look back, my '79 XR 185, '97 CR 250, and '07 CRF 450 were the only bikes I ever had to push back to the farm or the truck.

• etuke

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:20 PM

I bought the 07 yz450,it was nice and got some extras.Took it for a lil spin when I got home and it doesn't turn very good at all(just like my 426).After the ride I took apart the steering stem and the bearings were tight from rust,got it all cleaned up but gona need new ones.I rose the tubes up in the clamps to the first line and that help a lot.I notice the suspension is nice,alot smoother than the CRF.The engine seems to be rattly but I know these are not quiet engines although the 426 seems quieter.The bike has a lot of power but its very controllable,think I'm gona be happy with it providing the engine holds up.Guy I bought it off had it from new and used it a fair bit the first year but not much after,it still has the original front pads but they need replacing.It was the special edition bike so I have the original white plastics that are like new and another set of white with one industries graphics.I will get some pics up tomorrow if the weather is nice.Have to check the timing tensioner tomorrow and filter plus change the oil.

• luvnoldcars

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:18 PM

etuke raise your forks 5mm and set your rear sag around 95mm. That should help her turn.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.