06 WR450 overheating with IMS TANK

7 replies to this topic
  • Mauwick

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have searched all the forums recently (although not extensively). The bike is overheating on slow technical single track. I would consider myself to be a little better than a beginner. I remember seeing something about changing the radiator cap to a stronger pressure. Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

• Do I Care?

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:33 PM

I have searched all the forums recently (although not extensively). The bike is overheating on slow technical single track. I would consider myself to be a little better than a beginner. I remember seeing something about changing the radiator cap to a stronger pressure. Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

There is heaps of info on this on here. Awesome site I must say.
http://www.thumperta...s#entry10582482
http://www.thumperta...+radiator +fans

Enjoy!

• Mauwick

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:07 PM

I installed a Tusk 1.6 radiator cap and haven't over heated or boiled since!

• n16ht5

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:49 AM

those fans would last about 5 minutes where I ride.. I'm going to get the Tusk cap.

I noticed jetting makes a huge difference. I am a bit lean at sea level (I ride 3-8k in the summer so I jet for that) so it tends to overheat on the low elevation trails. Make sure your jetting is correct.

I have seen some people like the EVANS coolant, it has a higher boiling point. I haven't tried it yet... sounds like I should get a thermometer before I do that to make sure I don't cook my bike. Although my old XR's would climb above 325F sometimes, but they were tanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cwallershasta

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:42 AM

What makes the Tusk cap a better choice, and how is it different from the stock one. thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:40 AM

What makes the Tusk cap a better choice, and how is it different from the stock one. thanks

It raises the boiling point.

HOWEVER, if you engine is running hot, then this will do nothing so cure it. It will only raise the boiling point of the water, making it boil over less.

You need to re-jet your engine, un-cork the exhaust and intake, which will also give you the benefit of running better.

• still2smokin

Posted April 13, 2013 - 10:24 AM

It raises the BOIL OVER POINT, the Tusk cap holds more pressure than the stock one.
It is not going to make the bike run cooler, it is just going to take more pressure/heat before
boiling over/pushing past the cap . Just buys a little more time before fluid loss.

• robert93727

Posted May 25, 2013 - 10:03 PM

personally, I would not change the pressure cap, especially when I know there is an overheating issue. Better to tune it up and put fresh coolant. Have you flushed the radiator yet?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.