Carburetor problems

1 reply to this topic
  • tom nolan

Posted March 19, 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have a 1998 YZ 400 with Idling problems. I took the carb all apart and cleaned it good and replaced the idle jet with a stock one. I set the neddle jet to 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. It seem that it can't seem to find a happy spot to Idle. First it idles really fast and than when I either pull the choke in and out really fast or pull the hot start in and out it seem to idle back to where almost quits. When I rev it up again it starts the fast idle all over again. I try to up the idle stop and than It wants to Idle too fast again. .I am trying to figure out what to do next. Has Anyone experienced this problem on there bike???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I have a 1998 YZ 400 with Idling problems. I took the carb all apart and cleaned it good and replaced the idle jet with a stock one. I set the neddle jet to 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. It seem that it can't seem to find a happy spot to Idle. First it idles really fast and than when I either pull the choke in and out really fast or pull the hot start in and out it seem to idle back to where almost quits. When I rev it up again it starts the fast idle all over again. I try to up the idle stop and than It wants to Idle too fast again. .I am trying to figure out what to do next. Has Anyone experienced this problem on there bike???

Sounds like your fuel screw or as you said "needle jet" is set wrong. I had similar problems when it was set wrong. It was almost like it had a hanging idol. Warm the bike up turn up the idol some. Turn the fuel screw all the way in, then back out until engine rpms get the the highest point and stop. Then adjust idol knob back down to what ever rpm you want it at. done. The 1.5 turns out is just a suggestion in the book. If you have to go past 2.5 turns to get max rpm you need another sized pilot jet. if you go less than .5 turns out you need another sized pilot jet. Mine it right at 3.25 turns out and I have not fixed it with the right jet but it works fine until it one day backs out and fall out :devil:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.