what's going on?

2 replies to this topic
  • peaceofwork

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:20 PM

i picked up a wr400 motor a while back,then put it in my yz400 bike and discoverd that i needed the wr cdi to
get it to run. One trip up and down the lane and it quit running with a pop. today i looked at the cam timing
and it was a way off but i knew it was right last fall when i installed the motor.
I corected the cam timing with the piston at tdc today and i think the bike kickes over a way to easy now and it wont fire at all.
when i rode it in the fall it was at low rpm just taking it easy.
i suspect valves must be bent now, i checked the chain tensioner in the fall and now and it workes fine, i,d
like to here some ideas on what might be wrong or going wrong for me here with this motor

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted March 19, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Like you guessed, I would assume you've got some bent valves from the jumped cam timing. The cam chains should be replaced fairly often, as they can stretch with time and allow the cam timing to slip.

• peaceofwork

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:19 AM

i thought about it lots and i,m going to pop the head off and take a look. some times its nice to have a second opinion thanks manica

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.