426/450 street (motard) legal conversion?

10 replies to this topic
  • dino33L

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I live on California and I'm looking into a 426(yzf or wr) or wr450 to possibly convert into a street legal bike. I think I heard anything 2003 and older is legal? If so what if the 450 was issued a red sticker? Any thought on this would be great. As for the purchase price....I'm looking at $2000-2300. Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Craigslist.

• dino33L

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Sorry...I know to go to craigslist but I was more asking if it is still possible to do this and what if the bike was red stickered. Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 19, 2013 - 01:28 PM

You cannot put a CA plate on a bike of any kind in CA unless it came that way from the factory, you do a Special Construction VIN change, OR ,you have a friend in the DMV who will forge the documents for you.

SC VIN change is a total pain in the ass, requiring (4) inspections, one with the frame stripped.

It's that simple.

• MaxPower

Posted March 19, 2013 - 04:31 PM

you don't know how to do Craigslist?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pandarex

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:46 AM

You can plate a bike that hasn't been plated. My friend just plated his 01 xr650r. Buttttt, buying a bike that is already been plated is 100% easier. Unless the bike is worth dealing with the ca dmv, which there aren't to many bikes that are.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:48 PM

You can plate a bike that hasn't been plated. My friend just plated his 01 xr650r. Buttttt, buying a bike that is already been plated is 100% easier. Unless the bike is worth dealing with the ca dmv, which there aren't to many bikes that are.

Don't say it can be done unless YOU know how, and YOU post it here.

Otherwise you are not helping.

Everybody 'knows a guy' who can do something....

• dino33L

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Thanks guys for the info.

@ MaxPower....yes of course I know how to use craigslist. My question wasn't about where to buy a motarded bike but if I could still convert one myself in California to be street legal.

• GlennR

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I don't know how it works in CA. Here in NC we can't convert a dirt bike to be street legal. We can buy bikes which have already been titled & plated in another state, and then we can get plates for them.

CA "might" work that way too.

I'm not certain, but I think I might be able to convert a bike and take it to an "easy state", where I have a buddy who would let me use his mailing address to give to that state's DMV. ( I don't think that the DMV requires "proof of residency". ) Afteryou recieve the title you can transfer it to your home state. You will have to pay sales tax for the bike twice, once in each state.

I don't know if this is legal or illegal to do. I'd think it is a loophole, but to be honest I really don't know. Do your homework before listening to me, I may be wrong...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2013 - 09:01 PM

I don't know how it works in CA. Here in NC we can't convert a dirt bike to be street legal. We can buy bikes which have already been titled & plated in another state, and then we can get plates for them.

CA "might" work that way too.

I'm not certain, but I think I might be able to convert a bike and take it to an "easy state", where I have a buddy who would let me use his mailing address to give to that state's DMV. ( I don't think that the DMV requires "proof of residency". ) Afteryou recieve the title you can transfer it to your home state. You will have to pay sales tax for the bike twice, once in each state.

I don't know if this is legal or illegal to do. I'd think it is a loophole, but to be honest I really don't know. Do your homework before listening to me, I may be wrong...

The trick for CA is to go to Arizona first. If you get away with it.....The CHP here DO NOT LIKE IT when you have an AZ plate....

• SurfaceToAir

Posted March 29, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Call the guys at doctorenduro.com

They are based out of Santa Cruz

Very helpful guys, know their stuff and will set you on the right path to get it plated, including paperwork

No affiliation, just am happy with the business I've done with them.

Cheers-
Dustin

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.