WR400 Suspension Rebuild and Setup Question

4 replies to this topic
  • Phat Twin

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:11 AM

In process of rebuilding the 99 WR I bought, have the frame stripped and repainted, all pivots/bearings replaced with new stuff, motor has new clutch with all valves in spec, and I have replaced all bent/broken/corroded parts on the bike at this point. New and near new plastics all over, finishing with new cockpit mods and I should be done soon.

Now for the Suspension. I am not the best rider out there by any means, but I am not afraid to pound through technical stuff with a little bit of reckless abandon (years of Mountain Biking and racing have helped). I have purchased Factory Connection springs (6 Kg rear and .49 front) for replacement during my rebuild. I am curious what type of Fork oil I should replace the front forks with. I have heard different things about different weights of oil, but I am not sure what direction I should go.

My riding will be primarily woods of New England, some Turkey runs/charity rides and lots of tight single track. I weigh 235 without gear at the moment.

Any other input about current rider setup would also be appreciated. I understand trial and error will be the best for my setup, but any benchmarks would be great. ANyone have any experience with ROX Risers? Thinking of 2" rise mated with Renthal 1 1/8 CR High bars from a stock triple.

Thanks!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:27 PM

You should contact Dave J. at Smart Performance and buy one of his fork kits.

The stock forks are terrible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted March 18, 2013 - 03:02 PM

There is no standardized method for measuring fork oil viscosity. Which means that brand X's (5 weight), might be equivelant to brand Y's (10 Weight) or brand Z's (1 weight). Sorry, I know that's not much help, but thought I'd mention it.

• Phat Twin

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:37 PM

You should contact Dave J. at Smart Performance and buy one of his fork kits.

The stock forks are terrible.

Agreed. I am going to install the Springs front and back first. My last WR was a 2000 model, which was the first year of the YZ style suspension (I think, yes, no?), and I bought it after the PO had run it through FC here in NH.

Once I ride it a bit, and try to dial it in, I might consider doing the upgrade. Does this kit replace the internals or the tubes or everything?

• Phat Twin

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:38 PM

There is no standardized method for measuring fork oil viscosity. Which means that brand X's (5 weight), might be equivelant to brand Y's (10 Weight) or brand Z's (1 weight). Sorry, I know that's not much help, but thought I'd mention it.

Excellent points. Maybe I'll send a message to FC and see what they recommend. Long shot, but I might start with that and see what they might recommend. Thank you for your input!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.