!st ride of the year - can't get out of the driveway!

10 replies to this topic
  • revyrider

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Bike idling nicely in driveway,new riding gear on,jump on my '07 wr450 pull in the clutch & when I put bike into 1st it jumps ahead & stalls as if the clutch was out. Lever adjustments did nothing. After several tries & the same result put it back in the shop. &%$#@!? Call my mechanic buddy & he says clutch plates are hanging up & not disengaging after bike sat all winter & I should drain the oil,pull the clutch cover & check to see whats stuck.Go to reinstall the drain bolt after draining the oil & it won't tighten. The threads in the case are stripped!! Looking for some advice on how to fix both issues. NOT a good way to start the year. Any help much appreciated.

• Thommo_400f

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Put a Heli-coil in the bolt hole. Just tap it to the correct size for a helicoil to go in.
had to do it to mine.
Mechanic only charged $20 for the whole job.

As for the clutch, not my area, but mine does it randomly. I think it's a combination of crap oil and a worn basket.
I just rev it enough to not stall or roll down a hill and drop it into gear and it comes good straight away.
You could lay your bike on it's side and take the clutch cover off without dropping the oil. Give the basket a couple of light taps and move the clutch to see if it is releasing pressure from the plates or not.

There are plenty of people here to give better advice, but this is where I would start.

Edited by Thommo_400f, March 17, 2013 - 07:38 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:21 AM

Like Thommo said, Heli-coil the drain bolt, and it's permanently fixed. For the clutch, the first thing I would try would be to start the bike with it in neutral, and hold the clutch lever in while warming the bike up for something like 30 seconds or so. This allows the oil to seep in between the plates and free them up. Then make sure the bike is pointed out in the open and not at a building/car/etc.. and drop it into gear. It should be good to go, but your pointed in a safe direction just in case!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Sluggish clutch release is very normal for a cold motor.

• revyrider

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Pulled the clutch cover - only one side releases when I pull the lever,other side stays put.What do you mean by "tap" the basket? Use a hammer & tap lightly on the outsde where it's sticking? I tried laying the bike on it's side but all the gas from the carb leaks all over the floor - any way to avoid this? Much easier than draining the oil! Will get the drain hole heli coiled asap.Thanks for your replies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Pulled the clutch cover - only one side releases when I pull the lever,other side stays put.What do you mean by "tap" the basket? Use a hammer & tap lightly on the outsde where it's sticking? I tried laying the bike on it's side but all the gas from the carb leaks all over the floor - any way to avoid this? Much easier than draining the oil! Will get the drain hole heli coiled asap.Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, turn off the petcock, lean the bike over outside, and drain the gas out. Then put a pencil or a screw driver in the tank vent tube so it won't leak either.

• revyrider

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:08 PM

OK, got the clutch plates moving again.How can I drill out the drain bolt hole & retap for the heli coil without getting filings in the engine? How can the little tang at the end of the heli coil insert be removed without it dropping into the engine?

• Thommo_400f

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:22 PM

The helicoil should come with a little tool to help screw it in and then that tab actually snaps off.
Have a look on youtube...quite a few good videos on tapping and installing them.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 19, 2013 - 03:35 AM

How did you get the clutch plates to free up? This post will become useless for anyone else in the future if you don't list what you did to rememdy your problem.

• revyrider

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:02 AM

Light tap on the clutch basket while pulling the clutch lever seems to have freed the plates up so they are all moving evenly.
As for the heli coil tab - you tube here I come! Still not sure if any filings from drilling & tapping the stripped threads will wind up in the engine.
Maybe do a couple of quick oil & filter changes? Or not worry about it? Any thoughts?

• revyrider

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Thanks to some great advice from a local bike mechanic I got the heli coil safely installed. By greasing the channels on the drill bit & the tap, working slowly & regreasing several times I got the hole drilled & tapped without leaving a bunch of filings behind. Used a tiny needle nose plier to snap the tine off the end of the heli coil without it falling in. Thanks to all for your input!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.