Question re AIS removal on 08 WR450F

2 replies to this topic
  • RossG

Posted March 16, 2013 - 01:08 PM

I had had some work done by a local engineer, I asked him about the AIS removal, he said on his WR he had removed everything but instead of blanking off the hole at the top of the cylinder he had run a pipe off of it to the bottom of the bike where all the other drain pipes go as this was a breather??? so that no debris gets into the engine. Just wanted to find out what the school of thought was on this, which is the correct way, blank it off or run a pipe off of it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foggy3061

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:33 AM

I had had some work done by a local engineer, I asked him about the AIS removal, he said on his WR he had removed everything but instead of blanking off the hole at the top of the cylinder he had run a pipe off of it to the bottom of the bike where all the other drain pipes go as this was a breather??? so that no debris gets into the engine. Just wanted to find out what the school of thought was on this, which is the correct way, blank it off or run a pipe off of it?

[color=#222222]None of the pipes are just breathers![/color]

[color=#222222]There is one pipe from the air boot, one from the inlet side of the head and, one from the exhaust side of the head that all culminate at the AIS pump.[/color]

[color=#222222]A proper AIS delete involves removing the AIS pump and all its pipes then blanking off the redundant ports, none of them should just be left open to the atmosphere. [/color][color=#222222]After all, the genuine AIS delete kit (GYT-5TJ93-69-01) provides blanks for all the ports![/color]

Edited by foggy3061, March 17, 2013 - 05:34 AM.

• foggy3061

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:05 AM

[color=#000000]The genuine kit:[/color]

Posted Image

[color=#000000]Homemade version (Trace the exhaust port gasket profile onto some stainless steel to get the correct size blank):[/color]

Posted Image

[color=#000000]Inlet side (Rubber cap):[/color]

Posted Image

[color=#000000]Air boot (Rubber cap):[/color]

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.