New WR450 owner... Need some Help

34 replies to this topic
  • sasarris83

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hey I'm new to the site and have some questions about my 2006 WR I just bought. I didn't know what was done to the bike so I went through and checked all the free mods and most were for including grey wire, throttle stop and ais removal. So the bike started and idle poorly if at all had dead spot at quarter throttle and hard starting as well. So I got a JD jet kit, new air cleaner, new gas and an after market fuel screw. Complete all the work set the fuel screw at 1 1/4 out and the bike has way better throttle response and crispness which is awesome, BUT it still will not idle with the choke off and believe me the bike is warmed up. When the choke is off I need to keep blipping throttle to keep it running and if I let it sit for a second without giving it throttle and then try giving throttle again it will die. Does anyone have any clue as to what the heck is going on?
Also idle screw is buried all the way in.
Please help!!!

• sasarris83

Posted March 16, 2013 - 10:46 AM

By the way I'm running a 170 main, 48 pilot and 3 groove from top on blue needle. I had the 42 pilot in as per JD but it was worse with the 42 so I put the 48 back in. Still will NOT idle even with idle screw all the way in. Runs great on choke.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Your pilot, and possibly the passage above it, are partially clogged.
Replace the pilot with a NEW one, and shove some mono-filiment line up the passage to make sure it's clear.

You have to adjust your fuel screw properly to get a real result.
Start with the idle as low as it will go, then raise it with the fuel screw.
Repeat as needed to get the smoothest idle.

Edited by Krannie, March 16, 2013 - 12:32 PM.

• sasarris83

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:07 AM

It will barely idle with the idle screw all the way in so making any kind of adjustments while its running isn't going to happen. I did forget to mention that its about 30-40 degrees here in NY right now but I don't believe that would make such a harsh effect on how it idles....but I will get the carb out and blow out the pilot circuit with air

• MANIAC998

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:01 AM

You need an aftermarket longer air/fuel screw, which will allow you to do the fine tuning that is needed. The stock Pilot Jet is a 42 isn't it? If so, then a 48 should be about right for 30 to 40 degree weather. You should get a good idle somewhere at 2 turns out from a lightly seated in position on the air/fuel screw, not the idle screw.

• sasarris83

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:30 AM

It already has an aftermarket fuel screw, which doesn't barely make a difference in the idle no matter where it's set. When I first took the carb out it had a 155 main and 48 pilot. The JD kit has me using the blue needle on the 3rd groove down, 170 main and 42 pilot. I thought maybe it wouldn't idle because of the pilot, so I took the 42 out and put the 48 back in. It helped a little but still won't idle.

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Is there an obstruction in the air box? Like a rag between the filter and carb? (Don't ask how I know)

• race4fn

Posted March 19, 2013 - 02:32 AM

I have an 06 with free mods also....bike has an aftermarket header and pipe....
at 40 degrees I run 52 pilot and 170 to 172 main....fuel screw is about 2 or a little more out....
as previous poster stated double check pilot is clear all the way threw, did you install washer on fuel screw, also try running it out to 2 or even 3 than working back in if it will idle
sounds like its lean...

Edited by race4fn, March 19, 2013 - 02:35 AM.

• sasarris83

Posted March 19, 2013 - 03:28 AM

I just bought a slip on, no header. But I'm running the 170 and 48.. The fuel screw was in it when I bought the bike a few weeks ago and the washer and oring are in place.

I'm not obviously going to be riding in these cold temps especially because we just 8 inches of snow but I feel like this thing should at least idle without the idle screw all the way cranked in and having to blip the throttle...

Also I have fuel screw out 1 3/4 now and really doesn't make a difference. The thing is I can't get it to stay running long enough to make an adjustment. This is really my only issue because one it is running its rev's nicely and has crisp throttle response and no dead spots or bogs. If I could get it to idle I'd be set.

• race4fn

Posted March 20, 2013 - 02:34 PM

does it idle with choke out? maybe your not warming it up long enough...
im no expert on these at all, just personal experience, bike takes awhile to warm up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:03 PM

48 pilot is too big

Have you inspected the air jet on the inside of the intake bell? They clog too.

• sasarris83

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:37 PM

I've let it idle on choke until the pipe got cherry red and take the choke off and it dies quickly.- that was with the 42. Air jet was clear. Why is the 48 too big? I loosened up the carb and spun it sideways to pull the bowl off and blew through the pilot jet passage way with compressed air. I just got it back together and I'll start it up tomorrow and see what happens.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Unless you run a un-muffled pipe and no air cleaner, you shouldn't need a 48 pilot jet.
A 45 should be fine.
A 48 will work, but you'll have to put the fuel screw in at .5-1.0 turn, which means you will not have enough adjustment left for air pressure changes.
If removing the choke makes it die, it usually means a pilot jet circuit extreme leanness.
Just using compressed air up the passage is not enough, if you have ethanol poisoning of the carb.
You have to spray real carb cleaner up there, and use a large mono-filament line to completely clear it out.
It is an S shaped passage.

So, you are saying that if you turn the idle screw in, to get it to idle, it will not idle?

Edited by Krannie, March 20, 2013 - 08:39 PM.

• sasarris83

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:19 AM

Yea my next step is to do the dreaded removal of the carb so I can really clean that passageway out. Ethanol is killing us!

With the choke it actually runs perfect and when I take the choke off the bike will die no matter where the idle screw is set. It is currently all the way in as far as it can go and the bike will idle for a few seconds and die. Actually if I back that idle screw out its harder to start unless I blip the throttle while I'm kicking.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 21, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Yea my next step is to do the dreaded removal of the carb so I can really clean that passageway out. Ethanol is killing us!

With the choke it actually runs perfect and when I take the choke off the bike will die no matter where the idle screw is set. It is currently all the way in as far as it can go and the bike will idle for a few seconds and die. Actually if I back that idle screw out its harder to start unless I blip the throttle while I'm kicking.

That is the classic symptom of a clogged pilot jet and passage.

• sasarris83

Posted March 21, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Thanks very much, I'll focus on that and let ya know how I make out

• sasarris83

Posted March 21, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Ok so I put my new pipe on and started it up today. I set the idle screw one turn out and then started turning the fuel screw out. I had to start the bike a few times because it wouldn't stay idling but finally got it to idle normal at 4 turns out. Turned it back to 3.75 turns and that seems to be the sweet spot. Is that ok? I'm guessing its not because the fuel screw is so loose it's just going to vibrate out.

• sasarris83

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Made adjustment per manual and now idle screw is cranked all the way in and I'm at 2.25 turns out on fuel screw... Sound ok?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Ok so I put my new pipe on and started it up today. I set the idle screw one turn out and then started turning the fuel screw out. I had to start the bike a few times because it wouldn't stay idling but finally got it to idle normal at 4 turns out. Turned it back to 3.75 turns and that seems to be the sweet spot. Is that ok? I'm guessing its not because the fuel screw is so loose it's just going to vibrate out.

You are not following the procedure.......

Start with the fuel screw at one turn out.
Start the bike, and set the idle screw so it will barely idle.
Turn the fuel screw to raise the idle as high as it will go with the fuel screw.
If idle is too high, lower the idle with the idle screw, and repeat.
Keep doing that until you get the smoothest idle.

Motor must be HOT before this will work.

Choke and hot start must not LEAK for this to work.

You then fine tune the fuel screw at 1/8 in turns, blipping the throttle, looking for the fastest idle drop and the smoothest idle.

When done, if you fuel screw is less than 1 turn out, you need a smaller pilot.
If it's more than 2 turns, you need a bigger one.

If it's more than 2 turns with a pilot larger than 48, you have an air leak.

Some carbs/motors, due to the condition (lots of hours) might need a 48 pilot.

• sasarris83

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:13 AM

You said to turn the fuel screw one turn out and set the is screw to where it barely idles...which I did...the catch is to get it to barely idle the idle screw has to be cranked all the way in.
So from there I turned the fuel screw up until the highest idle I could get was about 3-4 turns out which I mentioned the screw being very loose at that point... Then backing off on the idle screw finally worked well like you said and the idle smoothed out and really normal and responsive. But I'm stuck with a loose fuel screw... So maybe I'm still not doing something right?

You said I might have an air leak.? Where? Intake boots? Worn out motors need a 48 pilot?

Also I believe the hot start and choke orings are good. They look good and when you turn either of them off the motor responds quickly so that leads me to believe they aren't leaking by...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.