Money tree

6 replies to this topic
  • The Anvil

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'm thinking about buying something's for my old faithful 1998 wr400. It's Basicly stock, except for some jetting and baffle removed.

The items I'm thinking about getting are a recluse clutch, Scott's damper, flex bars, some sort of riser for the bars, left hand rear brake kit and good hand guards.

Please give opinions regarding my list, if I need to add or subtract any items.

Help me construct a killer trail machine. I just want to be able to whoop all my buddies, he he.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:20 PM

The first thing you should do, if you have not done it already, is do a complete top end job, including timing chain and chain tensioner.

I would not put any money into a motor that had lot's of hours on it........

• The Anvil

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:01 PM

The first thing you should do, if you have not done it already, is do a complete top end job, including timing chain and chain tensioner.

I would not put any money into a motor that had lot's of hours on it........

thats a very good point, thanks for bringing that up.

ive owned this bike for two years, a pretty reptuable racer went threw the entire bike for me and said the bike is in great shape. i change the oil and filter often. i ride the bike almost daily about 20 miles in a wash (comute to work). i have noticed alittle smoke in the mornings, the smoke stops a few minutes after start up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted March 15, 2013 - 03:12 AM

Like Krannie said, spend time/money making sure the engine is reliable first. Cam chains are a notoriously weak link in the engine design, and should be changed when the hours start to accumulate. The smoke on start-up leads me to think that your valve stem seals might be leaking, either that or the rings are worn slightly allowing a little blow-by before it warms up completely. Fix these issues, and throw on whatever parts you want. Your list has some good items on it. The Flexx bars can be purchased with quite a bit of heighth to them, so you might not need risers, depending on how tall you are of course. I'm 6'0" and just installed some Flexx bars with the tall option and they are perfect for my height, just to give you an idea.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:50 PM

thats a very good point, thanks for bringing that up.

ive owned this bike for two years, a pretty reptuable racer went threw the entire bike for me and said the bike is in great shape. i change the oil and filter often. i ride the bike almost daily about 20 miles in a wash (comute to work). i have noticed alittle smoke in the mornings, the smoke stops a few minutes after start up.

Averaging 27mph, you have over 350 hours on your motor.
Time for a top end job for sure....

• The Anvil

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I live in the high desert of California where would I take this bike to have this work done? Also what's a budget number for this job?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I live in the high desert of California where would I take this bike to have this work done? Also what's a budget number for this job?

There are dozens of shops in your area. I would post in the CA section "looking for a good WR/YZ motor mechanic" in the high desert, and you will get the info you need.

Expect $600+ -ish.

If you come down to LA at all, give Paul as AS Racing a call. He does WR's YZ's, and lots of CR motors.

Edited by Krannie, March 16, 2013 - 12:34 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.