How much to rebuild 07 yz450f

5 replies to this topic
  • reggofcal

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I drained my oil and it was dark gray, i ripped filter apart and found silver slivers of metal in it.Is it item to rebuild?I have rebuilt engines bofore and was wondering roughly how much all the bearings, pistons rings cost, I want to do top and bottom end.

• ScootMcGoot

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Your probably looking at $700-$800 in parts for a complete top and bottom all said and done. Could be more could be less. You won't know the true extent of the damage until you crack her open

• SMarquez

Posted March 14, 2013 - 03:02 PM

I drained my oil and it was dark gray, i ripped filter apart and found silver slivers of metal in it.Is it item to rebuild?I have rebuilt engines bofore and was wondering roughly how much all the bearings, pistons rings cost, I want to do top and bottom end.

Why not find an online part house, add them to your cart and total it up for an exact total. I don't think anyone here can give you an exact total for what you want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:09 PM

My filters always have shaving and crap in them. Doesn't mean much. Mostly clutch garbage. Dark grey oil? How long since last oil change? Any other symptoms of something wrong? How many hours on bike? What kind of maintenance schedule?

• reggofcal

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yes dark grey, I have about 6 good day rides on the oil and i mainly do desert and big hill climbs and riding in pretty nasty terrian.Really no other symptoms of anything going wrong, its sounds normal to me.I have put maybe 100 hours on it after I bought it from local dirtbike mechanic.I was changing oil every couple rides and it was always clean so I figured I could go a little longer. Since I posted I changed oil and filter ran for about a hour, changed oil again but not filter and the oil still had a little grey but not much.Next day rode it for a hard hour like I was racing enduro. Got back home pulled filter and changed oil.The oil was pretty clear and had maybe a grey haze the filter was pretty clean. Yesturday ran a hour and half hare scramble race and I am going to chek oil and filter today also change it.Do you think my clutch basket is wearing out? Because about 6 months ago I changed clutch disk and plates and the basket had small groves in it.

• mikedabike

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Clutch is easy enough to inspect. Did you use OEM or aftermarket? Aftermarket might be the cause of the oil tint. If you have 100 hours I would do piston and timing chain and inspect everything real well when you have it apart.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.