EZ starting

1 reply to this topic
  • rwcfrank

Posted November 13, 2001 - 05:58 AM

I am new to TT and was wondering if ayone had thoughts regarding my starting technique.. I always get my 426 to start on the first or second kick cold or hot (with choke cold and sometimes with the hot start when its hot) my question is this, I crack the decompression lever just far enough to open the valves, I kick her thru and release the compression lever just as the kicker nears the end of the stroke. The inertia and speed of the lever stroke starts her anytime. Do you think the valves will ever contact the piston??? I dont think its happening now and it makes her real easy to start... Thanks..

01 WR426
air box mods
e series pipe
grey wire
throttle stop mod
Acerbis bark busters
YZ rear fender
and looking for anything to remove for weight reduction..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted November 13, 2001 - 06:48 AM

Frank, I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't start my bike that way.

Here's what I do, which also works like a charm every time.

IF THE BIKE IS COLD: Choke on, two quick blips of gas, kick slowly till the kick starter won't move down any more. Pull in the decompression lever and push the kick starter down about an inch. Let the decompression lever out, bring the kick starter up to the top and give it a good boot. This is actually a lot easier than it sounds.

IF THE BIKE IS HOT: Same except NO blips of gas and no choke. If it doesn't start on the first kick, I pull the (Red) hot start button and repeat.

It has ALWAYS started in no more than 2 or 3 kicks.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.