YZ426F Info.

7 replies to this topic
  • KTMColeman41

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hi, my friend just bought a 2002 yz 426f with a fresh rebuild, I just want some other opinions whether the sound radiating from the cams or cam chain. i cam to the conclusion that it might be just the nature of the beast or that the cam chain is loose. i mean its a constant sound, it gets louder with the rpms. I havent delt with this model before. i just want some info on this bike and whether or not it could be the rebuild or just normal engine noise.
Thanks for your time!

• marv02

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:12 PM

KTMcolman41 the 426 is a noisy motor just like a RFS KTM is a noisy motor they both cluck and rattle I had a 2006 KTM 560 RFS it was a noisy motor also.

The best bang for the buck is swapping the Exhaust cam out with a Hot cam it has a compression release makes the bike very easy to start cold or hot get the jetting right on you love the bike.

Like I said I tried RFS KTM to heavy I think I also tried a Aluminum framed bike it handle nice but just did not feel at home I like the old steel framed bikes I use to ride back in the day the old 2 stroke YZ's it has the same feel and handles much better.

• KTMColeman41

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thank you so much, I thought it was just the nature.of it but that takes a lot of the worries out but another question, is it poSsible to tighten the cam chain with the tensioner or does it automatically tighten it. If it is a full head rebuild should I shim them or see what the clearance is?

• marv02

Posted March 13, 2013 - 05:02 AM

automatic

Thank you so much, I thought it was just the nature.of it but that takes a lot of the worries out but another question, is it poSsible to tighten the cam chain with the tensioner or does it automatically tighten it. If it is a full head rebuild should I shim them or see what the clearance is?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTMColeman41

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Did you own one and did your cams or cam chain seem loud?

• KTMColeman41

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Another question is it supposed to drip from a hole below the water pump on the side cover, it drips the coolant , is it for getting to hot?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:40 AM

No, the hole is an escape port. The pump shaft has an oil seal, since it comes from the engine, and a coolant seal, since it works in the cooling system. To avoid any possibility of a leak at either seal allowing these two incompatible fluids to mix, there is a gap between the two seals that is ported to the outside through the hole you see. If you see coolant leaking there, you need a water pump reseal, and possibly a shaft replacement:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=940018

• Ed Garrison

Posted July 27, 2014 - 03:29 PM

I just got my 2002 YZ426F a few weeks ago. Did some research,and saw that they're hard to start(stubburn). So I then went out and got the JD Jetting jet kit,and the Hot Cams exhaust cam w/ auto-decomp. I get it back from the shop tomorrow.Plus had valves adjusted.Should this help aide in the starting woes of my 426? I haven't ridden it since I got it. Thx

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.