• iron_savior

Posted November 28, 2003 - 12:06 PM

me again,

i have noticed speed ratings on different tyres,
what will happen if i go over the speed rating
could this result in bad handling or will the tyre burst

thank you
w

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted November 28, 2003 - 01:12 PM

When a tire manufacturer builds a tire they have to prove it is safe at it's intended speeds. They put the tire on a machine that simulates loads and speeds. There is a considerable amount of safety margin built into this number. It's sort of like elevators - if it is rated safe with ten people it has to be able to safely carry thirty.
Tire companies rate their tires to the bikes they will be used on. If it is a knobby it would be foolish for them to test it for a "V" rating.
One fact about higher speed rated tires is they tend to be thinner so they run cooler at high speeds, an "H" rated tire will last longer and be more durable than a "V" rated tire. So the answer to your question is if your bike is handling ok up to 90 mph it should be good at 110. Also the speed ratings are for extended time at that speed. If you don't plan to spend all day above that limit I wouldn't worry about it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.