XR650R Carb on a XR650L

258 replies to this topic
  • schizo310

Posted September 22, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Man this thread is awesome.:lol: I am trying to open up my stock XRL. I'm an all around noob, but am pretty mechanically inclined. Somewhere in this thread some one basically said to take baby steps. Do Dave's mod, re-jet, open up the intake/exhaust, and then see if you want to screw around from there. I intend to take that advice. I'm gonna do all that but can't drop $$$ on exhaust just yet. Can anyone tell me what are some good jet sizes to start out with, for a stock XRL, de-snorkled, uni filtered, and Dave's modded? Didn't mean to interrupt the topic of thread. Thanks for any help and a good run of info already.:excuseme:

• Kenzo

Posted September 22, 2008 - 05:02 PM

~55 pilot & 158 main until u add a free-flowing exhaust then bump the main to 160.

it's all spelled out very well here on this link>>> http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

:excuseme:

• schizo310

Posted September 22, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Thanks Kenzo. Good luck with the carb tweaking. I'm sure I'll be referencing your work again in the future.

• clintjohnson7

Posted November 07, 2008 - 09:16 PM

hey i just put a r carb on my l. (the carb has a hop it up kit in it) it runs good at about half throttle after half throttle it runs kinda slugish i still have the stock exhaust on the bike could that be the problem?

• Kenzo

Posted November 08, 2008 - 06:11 AM

hey i just put a r carb on my l. (the carb has a hop it up kit in it) it runs good at about half throttle after half throttle it runs kinda slugish i still have the stock exhaust on the bike could that be the problem?

first, fresh fuel & clean air filter...and u shuda cleaned the carb, jets & passages very well before install...

after well warmed up confirm pilot per the sticky on "Jetting" board..

wut jetting and needle...plus clip position...

an easy trick/check is to remove the airbox side cover and if it runs better u need more air or possibly too rich...or tape off portion of airbox opening and if it runs better u need more fuel, too lean...

u need to spell out exactly wut u installed, ur operating conditions(temp & elevation) and exact nature of problem...

:worthy:

• clintjohnson7

Posted November 08, 2008 - 03:12 PM

ive never really worked on carbs other than cleaning them. what is the pilot and main? is it the skrew adjustments in the bowl where the float is?

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 08, 2008 - 07:55 PM

ive never really worked on carbs other than cleaning them. what is the pilot and main? is it the skrew adjustments in the bowl where the float is?

You have much reading ahead, grasshopper.

The screw is the idle fuel mixture adjustment, the pilot is the low speed fuel jet, the main is the medium/high speed fuel jet, and the needle determines the fuel curve. Both the pilot and main jets are inside the float bowl while the idle screw is outside and pointing downward between the carb and cylinder head.

• clintjohnson7

Posted November 09, 2008 - 02:33 AM

ok thanks. also which one is which? one sits a little higher than the other. is that the main? and what do the numbers mean? i always thought they were adjusted by how many turns out

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 09, 2008 - 11:17 AM

Go to the FAQ and read about Dave's Mods. The numbers are the jet size. In Keihin's numbering system, the jet size is the actual orifice diameter in hundredths of a millimeter. 158 = 1.58mm and 60 = 0.60mm.

• HBLARRY

Posted November 15, 2008 - 10:39 AM

Dutch,
Thanks for the information on the XR650R swap to the XR650L.
I have the Dual sport XR650R and my son just got a 650L so that's what were going to attempt today.........a swap. I let him ride my baja bike and naturally he likes that power. Maybe we can check some measurements and get a photo or two of it.

HBLARRY

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Leeb17

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:52 PM

I'm a new XRL owner, just bought a 2000 model. Awesome bike! Thanks to all on this forum for posting about their XRL's. Extremely valuable info:thumbsup:

After reading this thread and Kenzo's detailed transplant info, I decided to do the mod. Got a carb off or Ebay and did a trial install today. I'm in the Monterey, CA area, so very close to sea level and followed Kenzo's final jetting and needle settings (65p/160m, needle #5, and 2 turns out). I'm running stock header with FMF Q slip-on, with airbox mod.

A few observations with my switch.

- oh yea, its a tight fit alright! Definately have to have some patience when putting the carb back in place. The intake side is a few MM larger than stock and thus does not seat in all the way. Same for the airbox side, just a bit larger. Also, the XRR carb is longer from intake to airbox bell mouths. (sorry, forgot to record measurements)

- fuel line routing is not a problem. Just be careful and think about the routing.

- As I see in Kenzo's photo's, you have to flip the intake boot clamp/screw to the 12 o'clock position because in the stock position the srew hits the idle cable bracket. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

- Cables. Unfortunately the PO, removed the cable mounting bracket from the carb I bought, so I was not able to modify the cables to fit. I am getting the bracket and will get cables made to fit from Motion Pro. I have friend who works in R&D there and they will probably make a PN for the cables for the XRR/XRL conversion. I will post up after done.

- I did manage to rig the pull cable so I could run the bike. It did not want to start with any amount of choke? Once it did fire up, it was obvious the bike had much more throttle response and sounded way "meaner". I adjusted the idle and it purred like a kitten.

After the holidays I'll have more time to dial in and will post results. Thanks Kenzo:thumbsup:

Lee

• Kenzo

Posted December 24, 2008 - 06:31 AM

it's always a bit difficult the first time...i've head mine off & on four or five times now...:p

i removed the backfire flap from the choke plate and when starting cold i turn the idle screw up one full turn and slightly open the throttle...u'll just have to figure out wut ur bike wants...

sux about the throttle cable mount i just ended up using the compleat R carb, cables & throttle assembly...:busted:

even though the pilot tests per the sticky on the jetting board i will try the 68s & HRC needle in the future.

gud luck & happy holidays

:moon:

• Leeb17

Posted December 24, 2008 - 02:51 PM

hopefully I won't have to take off/on to many times to get it figured out. I'm thinking leaner on the pilot than the 65 though. Have you tried leaner? I would think removing the flap leans it out on the start when using choke? Is there other reason to remove it?

The guy I bought it from is sending the bracket, cables and throttle. Can't wait to ride it.

Thanks again.:busted:

• Kenzo

Posted December 25, 2008 - 07:29 AM

hopefully I won't have to take off/on to many times to get it figured out. I'm thinking leaner on the pilot than the 65 though. Have you tried leaner? I would think removing the flap leans it out on the start when using choke? Is there other reason to remove it?

The guy I bought it from is sending the bracket, cables and throttle. Can't wait to ride it.

Thanks again.:busted:

the stock 65s tests perfect on my bike per the sticky on the jetting board...suggest u become familar w/ it...

backfire flap has been know to break off and get sucked into motor...i removed and replaced soft azz screws w/ SS button heads...only remove one screw at a time and don't cross thread...

gotta run...

Merry Christmas

• HBLARRY

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:11 PM

My son and I got around to swapping the 2000 XR650R carb to the 2000 XR650L. The "L" CV carb had all the Dave's mods applied and it works well but not real impressive. My Keihin 40mm "R" carb has the power up mods, 68S, Needle and needle jet and a 175 main jet. The AJCV has been blocked and the choke anti-backfire valve removed.

We unfortunately didn't have a lot of time to devote to the swap starting late and then having it ready again for the next morning.

The fit is tight......... carb to frame is about 3'8 " near the upper part of the slide housing. Not much wiggle room. The engine intake boot seemed satisfactory but the air box boot was difficult to attach due to the slightly larger diameter inlet on the Keihin 40mm. I re-cleaned the air box boot and installed it dry and it held but I would not trust it on a long off road ride. I personally would relace the stock clamp with a narrow stainless screw clamp. I've seen them available at West Marine. An air leak here is an engine killer.

We started the bike before installing the throttle cables. The the bike started up quickly with a little choke and we set the idle mixture screw to about 1 turn out from a lean missfire after it warmed up. A quick jab from the throttle it blubbered badly but when applied steadily it pulled nicely to wide open. Not exactly the bark I was looking for but definitely more power. Obviously too fat on the main jet. We installed a 172 that I had for elevation and it was only slightly better. So the results from earlier tests with the 160-168 mains and 65S pilots are very close.

We proceeded to swap the throttle cable assy. from the "R" and it works... routing the cables behind the bars similar to the "R" stock position. Some concern here for cable grabs so route them without binding. The "L" cables
would have worked also (maybe better) shortening the housing an inch or so and then trying to run them thru or behind the bars. That cable route through the steering head is scary. I would also suggest installing the cables loosely to the carb cable bracket and then installing them together as an assembly. There's not too much work space for your fingers in there.

We had to quit at this point here and considered it definitely workable. I bid on a Keihin 40mm carb and throttle cable assy. on EBay and it held until the last moment when it sold for a lot more than I would consider reasonable. I'll be trying again sometime soon.

HBLARRY

• jlutty650l

Posted January 01, 2009 - 07:58 PM

This is probably the best thread ever.

Can I nominate a sticky?

• martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2009 - 08:02 PM

This is probably the best thread ever.

Can I nominate a sticky?

Yes you can, and depending on incoming input... It cold be. We will have to remove an existing stickie to put this or any other in its place though.

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 01, 2009 - 08:06 PM

This could be added to the FAQ instead....although the entire FAQ has 2000 fewer views than this thread.

• 2fiddyx

Posted January 01, 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have a 650R stock carb if anybody is looking for one. :busted:

• martinfan30

Posted January 02, 2009 - 06:42 AM

This could be added to the FAQ instead....although the entire FAQ has 2000 fewer views than this thread.

I can put a link in the FAQ. :thinking:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.