XR650R Carb on a XR650L

258 replies to this topic
  • Kenzo

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hey guys... I know I am a newbie in this forum but I have some questions about this setup.

My boss just bought a 2007 XR650L anf is not happy with the power. So we ordered up the smog-delete kit and XR's only slip on muffler.

We also ordered a new 2007 650R carb from Service Honda. When ordering the slip on from XR's only I asked the parts guy about using a 650R carb on the L and he said it wouldn't work... that it would not even mount up. That the boots are different.

So I am a little freaked out cause I just made my boss drop close to $300 on the R carb and cables....

Should I cancel the order???

Thanks...

yes cancel the order...

de-smog, de-snorkle, free-flowing exhaust, re-jet and maybe a 14T sprocket...then he can think about other upgrades.

the XRR carb on the XRL is not fully proven or at least not well documented...but i believe it will work...

what makes it attractive is buying a take-off carbs at low cost...$300 or so for a new XRR carb is not a gud deal...

get the basics done and go from there...

:thumbsup:

• swechilli

Posted April 21, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hi! Check out the "using a 650 R carburator on a 650 L" thread and scroll down and read the posts from XRMANU. Regarding to him you have to use smaller jets like 62/162..

Good luck and keep us informed, or like we say in Italy
In bocca al lupo

• XR TANK

Posted April 21, 2008 - 03:16 PM

I got it running a little better tonight. I cleaned the filter and checked for leaks. I adjusted the floats and rejetted pilot to 62. It helped. Tommorow I will know more after a ride.

• Kenzo

Posted April 21, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hi! Check out the "using a 650 R carburator on a 650 L" thread and scroll down and read the posts from XRMANU. Regarding to him you have to use smaller jets like 62/162..

Good luck and keep us informed, or like we say in Italy
In bocca al lupo

yes it only makes sence that the XRL jetting wud be well below the XRR uncorked jetting or near the corked jetting...

i've got a 160, 165 & 172 main to try along with a 65S pilot...

i'm thinking a 60S/62S pilot jet might be about right but will test before ordering...

• DPR250R

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:03 PM

OK guys... cancelled the order... but will keep my subscription to this thread... thanks for helpin a newbie

• Kenzo

Posted April 23, 2008 - 03:36 PM

I got it running a little better tonight. I cleaned the filter and checked for leaks. I adjusted the floats and rejetted pilot to 62. It helped. Tommorow I will know more after a ride.

Tank, any updates?

...and where were u able to locate the pilots? ...from a Honda dealer?

...it appears that they may be the only source for the "s" pilots.

TIA,

Kenny

• swechilli

Posted May 02, 2008 - 01:51 AM

Hey guys do you have any updates?

• Kenzo

Posted May 02, 2008 - 06:20 AM

i'm going to try to install mine this weekend...starting off with a 160 main & 65S pilot...will report results ASAP.

• Kenzo

Posted May 05, 2008 - 10:39 AM

okaaa...

2001 XR650L ...desnorkled w/Uni, SuperTrapp Race, header welds ground, Dave's Mods drilled slide with Keihin 55 pilot & 160 main at sealevel...the bike starts & runs great but it just has that CV lag/hesitation particulary off idle if u wack it...

since i can't leave well enough alone...:ride:

picked up an XR650R carb & throttle assembly from ebay at a good price...it was jetted with a 65S pilot & 125 main(...talking about corked!)...so i purchased a Keihin 160 main for the initial install...

the carb install is straight forward...existing boots & clamps utilized...the clearances are a bit tight at/near the rear where the carb cables attach so i will monitor that area closely...

the R throttle cables were a bit tricky to route and install...the R cables are too short to route in front of the handlebars, around the steering head and to the left side where the throttles attach at the rear of the carb...so i took a short cut and they are ok for the time being...also there is a lack of space on the handlebars for the R throttle assembly so it's not ideal ether...if i decide to keep the carb installed i will trim the L's throttle cables black plastic sleaves at the carb end to expose enough cable for perminant install.

the fuel line routing is also different(right side vs stock left) so i utilized slightly larger OD marine grade fuel line i had laying around...it has to route between the motor and carb but there is plenty of clearance and the line i used is very kink resistant.

everything installed...65S Pilot, 160 Main & stock needle 3rd clip down...fuel screw out 1.5 turns...gas on...full choke and it fired right up :p ...immediately needed to set to half ckoke(or it wud die), adjusted the idle and let it warm up...

after warm-up did a quick pilot circuit check...1 turn out or less, idle wud slow, stumble and die if u kept turning it in... more than 1 turn out idle wud peak & smooth at 2 turns out :eek:

time for a test ride :applause: ...ran great, pulled as good if not better(time will tell) and throttle response is much improved but there is a stumble/hesitation off idle if u wud wack the throttle too quickly and i cud kill with engine if i applied the throttle (WOT) as fast as possible off idle...also when closing the throttle after a hard run and down shifting once the rpms dropped low enough it wud get a slight backfire more like a burble slowing to just off idle...

i'm just in the inital testing phase but even though the pilot circuit checked out i still think i'm rich down low but part of my thinking is biased with the proper jetting for the CV carb being lower...

i'll try some more testing this evening looking at removing the airbox cover, fuel screw adjustments and analyze the results.

...ether a smaller pilot(or bigger)?

...or cud raising(or lowering) the clip one position help?

TIA,

Kenny

P.S. i'll take some pics and post them later

• swechilli

Posted May 08, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hi kenzo! Did you get it to work?

Keep up the good spirit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenzo

Posted May 08, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi kenzo! Did you get it to work?

Keep up the good spirit

gett'n close...very close...need to pull the carb and richen up the needle...i will be posting my results asap...but it looks very promising :eek:

more info is available here >>> http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=640812

hehehee...i just mixed me up sum gud spirit...7 year old Flor de Cana with a splash of Coke my poison of choice or at least one of them :applause: ...where's my cigars???

:p

• Kenzo

Posted May 11, 2008 - 06:31 PM

did a little work today...

pulled the carb, checked the AJCV, bacically cleaned the whole carb again and dropped the clip position one notch...

the bike is running much better, less decel burbling and much better throttle response :thumbsup:

160 main, 65S pilot, stock needle 4th clip down and fuel screw out two turns.

i'm going to give it a full shakedown run tomorrow...will give it a few weeks before i commit and modify the L throttle cables since there's no going back...it's a very tight fit...here's what it looks like...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:rolleyes:

P.S. also it now drips a little fuel outta the drain line from time to time like a proper XR!

• swechilli

Posted May 13, 2008 - 01:30 AM

Thanks Kenzo!! Im gonna use this thread as a benchmark when putting my carb on my bike...:thumbsup:

Meglio un'uovo oggi che una gallina domani

• Kenzo

Posted July 07, 2008 - 05:55 AM

...this weekend i dropped the clip position one notch(also pull the old enricher cable) and the bike is running great...very little hesitation off idle unless u try to bog it on purpose...looks like i will make it a perminant addition...

XR650L with an R carb, 160 main, 65S pilot, stock needle 5th clip down and fuel screw out two turns...also removed the R's backfire flap fron the choke plate.

The bike starts & idles great, no longer needs to be choked to start just turn the idle adjustment 1/2 turn until warmed up, pilot circuit checks out perfect, the throttle response is awsome, wheelies & wheelie control much improved, and it rips across the power band...sure feels like i gained a HP or two mid/top and the low-end torque feels much improved.

will finalize it by connecting the L throttle assembly to the R cables this week and will report back.

i think it wud bennifit with the addition of Honda's R race needle but i don't think i'll go through the hassle of the upgrade and tunning.

Posted Image

• Kenzo

Posted July 08, 2008 - 12:00 PM

a quick update...the bike is running great BUT the R's throttle cables will NOT work with the L's throttle assembly(and vise-versa)...the cables where they attach to the throttle have different size threads :p

so if u decide to do this carb swap u can ether use the R's throttle and cables as-is...or use the L's cables and cut the protective sleaves to expose more cable to match the carbs requirements.

i'm gunna stick with the R's throttle until i get bored and need a project.

• swechilli

Posted July 25, 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hi Kenzo! Are you at sea-level? Do you think I can run the same jets on my XR big bore 640cc high comp and a hot cam, high flow air and a slip-on, sea level? My dad's brother working in the lone star state but never been there..

Have a nice one!!

• Kenzo

Posted July 25, 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hi Kenzo! Are you at sea-level? Do you think I can run the same jets on my XR big bore 640cc high comp and a hot cam, high flow air and a slip-on, sea level? My dad's brother working in the lone star state but never been there..

Have a nice one!!

i'm about 10 minutes from Galveston Island and the Gulf of Mexico...~25 feet above sealevel.

assuming ur talking about a big bore XR600R i think u'll want slightly bigger jets maybe 165/168/170 on ur main and 65s/68s/70s on ur pilot...i wud go ahead and get the Honda race needle for the R since i have stock needle max'd on the lowest clip position. the 65s should be ur stock pilot and the "s" style is prefered.

gud luck

:ride:

• pcd1965

Posted September 18, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hi,
If you still have your original XR650L carb, i dont suppose you could measure the OD front and back.
The reason i ask is i am going down a different track to you guys and trying to fit a carb to my KLX650R.
I have tested an XR650R edelbrock from a mates bike and it fits, although very tight in the boots.
And the linkage is on the wrong side. Tested it and she runs great.
I noticed the XR650L edelbrock pumper has linkage on RH side same as KLX CV carb.
Now if the Inlet and airbox boots measure up i will go with this.
Cheers.
Paul.
Australia.

• Nummie

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I too have picked up a nice XR650R carb for my L project bike (which isn't finished yet) and would appreciate any more feedback. Other than trimming the XR650L throttle cable housings back 1" or so, and routing the fuel line to the opposite side from the stock carb, it looks like a straight forward install. The trick may be to match the jetting with my exhaust (stock for now, and likely an FMF Q4 in the spring), and air box (still stock, but that will change).

And thanks for the good clear pics - that helped my decision to buy the XR650R carb easier.

• Kenzo

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hi,
If you still have your original XR650L carb, i dont suppose you could measure the OD front and back.
The reason i ask is i am going down a different track to you guys and trying to fit a carb to my KLX650R.
I have tested an XR650R edelbrock from a mates bike and it fits, although very tight in the boots.
And the linkage is on the wrong side. Tested it and she runs great.
I noticed the XR650L edelbrock pumper has linkage on RH side same as KLX CV carb.
Now if the Inlet and airbox boots measure up i will go with this.
Cheers.
Paul.
Australia.

OD intake ~63mm

OD to engine ~47mm

throttle location cable routing/linkage and fuel hookups are easy to work around if u have the space...but the CV L carb is pretty tame compared to the R carb.

gud luck

:excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.