XR650R Carb on a XR650L

258 replies to this topic
  • Kenzo

Posted April 13, 2008 - 11:41 AM

ok...found out the xxr stocker shud have a 170 or 175 main and 65 pilot also the stock needle shud have a clip to position the needle...

i guess i'll start with the stock jets and work my way down since the corked XXR and uncorked XXL shud be in the same ballpark.

looks like i'll pick up an XXR throttle for $15 so i don't have to modify the stocker if i ever need to return it to stock...i'll post the results and jet sizes.

:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:11 AM

ok...found out the xxr stocker shud have a 170 or 175 main and 65 pilot also the stock needle shud have a clip to position the needle...

i guess i'll start with the stock jets and work my way down since the corked XXR and uncorked XXL shud be in the same ballpark.

Im sure a 170 will be way too rich so i would start with a 165 MAX, prolly 162 actually, for a stock enging on a L, prolly a 60 for pilot, then go from there. Im sure since summer is closing in and some areas have temps warming up that will be about the highest you would use. There was a post on previous page with a guy talking about the jetting and wether its a R carb or not 170 main will be too much since there same manufacturer of jets. GL ima keep my eye out on ebay so keep us informed of how the setup is going.

• XR TANK

Posted April 14, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Im still waitin for my 650 R carb from ebay. SNIFF SNIFF

I was so upset today ordered a complete XRS ONLY exhaust...SMILE

• martinfan30

Posted April 14, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Im still waitin for my 650 R carb from ebay. SNIFF SNIFF

I was so upset today ordered a complete XRS ONLY exhaust...SMILE

I'll take one too!

Welcome to TT!

Rich

• Kenzo

Posted April 14, 2008 - 04:18 PM

here's one...carb that is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

the one i won didn't have a single bid...and dumb luck i just happened to refresh the page with 10 minutes left in the auction...just kept upping my bid until reserve wus met at $50...just got confirmation on xrr throttle assembly and cables complete for $20...sooooo...everything for $83.75 shipped priority mail :thumbsup:

got a bunch of jets located so shud have an update soon :thumbsup:

:confused:

• martinfan30

Posted April 14, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Curious, what size is the XRR carb?

• XR TANK

Posted April 14, 2008 - 04:51 PM

here's one...carb that is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

the one i won didn't have a single bid...and dumb luck i just happened to refresh the page with 10 minutes left in the auction...just kept upping my bid until reserve wus met at $50...just got confirmation on xrr throttle assembly and cables complete for $20...sooooo...everything for $83.75 shipped priority mail :thumbsup:

got a bunch of jets located so shud have an update soon :thumbsup:

:confused:

BAHHHHH i guess i paid to much for my XRR carb complete setup. 150 to my door. It is supposed to be like new.

• Kenzo

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:33 PM

BAHHHHH i guess i paid to much for my XRR carb complete setup. 150 to my door. It is supposed to be like new.

don't worry i find one for $30 now that i have purchased mine...that's just how things work...at least for me

the Honda Service Manual specifies the carb as a "PE78C 42mm Piston Type" but a few other sources say it's a 40mm :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

P.S. once i get mine close to dialed in i'm yanking the choke flap & disabling the air cut-off valve... info can be found here...u just run a little rich on the pilot for the choke flap removal.

http://borynack.com/...r_caruretor.htm

gotta run...

• husky123

Posted April 15, 2008 - 04:57 AM

Kenzo,

Fitment is a little tricky with the R carb. Make sure you get your airbox boot sitting just right. You may have to grind a little of the weld on the top of your frame cradle away too. The throttle rocker "may" hit it toward WOT. Nothing a little dremel work can't handle. Good luck and let us know what jetting you come up with.

• XR TANK

Posted April 20, 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hey all

I just installed the 650R carb on my 650L. Fitment was PERFECT. It slid right in. I used 650R cables.

The bike will only run on the choke. throttle response is great.

With the choke off it backfires bad and will not run.

?????????

170 main
68s
3rd clip

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted April 20, 2008 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like a plugged pilot circuit.

• resurrection

Posted April 20, 2008 - 01:47 PM

10-4 pilot jet

• XR TANK

Posted April 20, 2008 - 02:22 PM

It's not clogged. I just checked it. It's clean as a whistle.

The whole carb is clean.

I really don't understand. I changed the needle postion and played with the fuel screw with no luck..

• martinfan30

Posted April 20, 2008 - 02:36 PM

It's not clogged. I just checked it. It's clean as a whistle.

The whole carb is clean.

I really don't understand. I changed the needle postion and played with the fuel screw with no luck..

Any air leaks? This is typically a sign of a lean pilot circuit.

Maybe the jet is clean, but what about internal passages?

• XR TANK

Posted April 20, 2008 - 02:58 PM

Im not sure if there are any air leaks. The boots slide in perfect. The throttle response is miles ahead of the old 650 L carb. ( with choke)

As soon as i take the choke off it searches and backfires. It wont idle on its own. It bogs if i wick the throttle with the choke off. It will run only if i use the throttle.

Does it really sound like its clogged up
????

• husky123

Posted April 20, 2008 - 03:16 PM

Well as hard as it is to believe you may be too lean on the pilot (as evidence of it liking the choke). With the 68S you are pretty fat but you may want to try a regular 68, 70 or 72 and see what that gets you. Also try and give the fuel screw some turns out (no more than 3 1/2 or so) because it works hand in hand with the pilot jet. For example if you have a 68 in there and it runs well with the fuel screw at 3 1/2 you should go up to the next pilot and "reset" the FS at 1 1/2 - 2 turns out. Conversely, if you go in less than 1 you need to go down.

I hate to say but I could never get my L to run quite right with the R carb. But I only experimented for 1 day. But like you mention when it was on the main it ran much better for sure.

• Kenzo

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:18 PM

Im not sure if there are any air leaks. The boots slide in perfect. The throttle response is miles ahead of the old 650 L carb. ( with choke)

As soon as i take the choke off it searches and backfires. It wont idle on its own. It bogs if i wick the throttle with the choke off. It will run only if i use the throttle.

Does it really sound like its clogged up
????

yup something is screwy...i wudn't expect it to rev well with the choke on :thumbsup: now on a carb with an enricher yes...

i assume u have the idle set high enough or don't have the choke position backwards...

keeps us posted since i'll be digging into mine soon...i actually enjoy these types of projects and associated debugging.

:ride:

• XR TANK

Posted April 21, 2008 - 01:21 AM

IT does rev a little with the choke on. Thats why its hard to play with the fuel screw. It wont run with choke half on either. I think its an air leak.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:31 AM

I'll second Kenzo's though on the choke position. Double check what you think is on, is really on.

• DPR250R

Posted April 21, 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hey guys... I know I am a newbie in this forum but I have some questions about this setup.

My boss just bought a 2007 XR650L anf is not happy with the power. So we ordered up the smog-delete kit and XR's only slip on muffler.

We also ordered a new 2007 650R carb from Service Honda. When ordering the slip on from XR's only I asked the parts guy about using a 650R carb on the L and he said it wouldn't work... that it would not even mount up. That the boots are different.

So I am a little freaked out cause I just made my boss drop close to $300 on the R carb and cables....

Should I cancel the order???

Thanks...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.