XR650R Carb on a XR650L

258 replies to this topic
  • pwrpapa

Posted February 08, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Finally got the XRR carb on the XRL. It has a 65 pilot, 165 main with fuel screw 2 turns out. I am at seal level (Houston). Carb is clean as a whistle. I couldn't get it to run except with the choke on (lever up). It will die as soon as i turn the choke off (lever down). When running it will stumble at 1/4 throttle. What could be the issue? I checked for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner on the manifolds but didnt notice any change in idle. It's a pain to remove and re-install the carb as it is.

Hmm, maybe one of your vaccum lines/over flow vent tubes are pluged or hooked up wrong.
If that's not it go to a 68s slow jet and see if that helps.

• IOWAICEMAN

Posted February 08, 2011 - 01:17 PM

i put an r on my l just this week.
80$ ebay
all went well used l cables but had to remove 1 to 2 inchs of cassing
it rocks go for it .

how did you remove the casing without cutting into the cable? I need to do the same with my l cables but am unsure how to go about it. Thanks.

• pwrpapa

Posted February 09, 2011 - 05:12 AM

how did you remove the casing without cutting into the cable? I need to do the same with my l cables but am unsure how to go about it. Thanks.

Take a tube/pipe cutter like you use on copper pipes, it takes a while but it works for me.

• IOWAICEMAN

Posted February 09, 2011 - 09:54 AM

Take a tube/pipe cutter like you use on copper pipes, it takes a while but it works for me.

thank, it worked!!:thumbsup:

• Horri

Posted February 09, 2011 - 11:43 AM

The other way to do that without a Pipe cutter is to get two pairs of good pliers for the twisting and one set of sharp nosed capable of cutting the outer steel casing. So let's say a couple of sets of vice grips for the twisting. You clamp one set of viceys roughly where you want the outer steel taken off to..Don't clamp them on super tight so you crush anything,,,they are to hold the cable not crush it. That set doesn't move or get twisted..Cut the outer plastic covering back to that point to expose the steel ,,then take the other set and unwind the outer shell of the cable to that point. Make sure you unwind it enough to so you can just twist the not needed bit from the cable once you chop it.. It's strong stuff that outer shell so be prepared to use a bit of muscle. Then once it's unwound enough and you have a gap big enough to get your cutting set in chop it at the separation point with your sharp nosed pliers and just unwind the bit you just cut off from the cable..Tidy up the end a bit and slip the end piece back over and you're done.

Could even use a vice as a sub for the clamping set of vice grips..Same basic procedure..You don't want that part of the cable turning is the main aim so a vice is possibly better than the clamp set of viceys as it has a longer holding area for the clamp procedure...You still need a set for the twisting however..and the cutters.

Edited by Horri, February 09, 2011 - 12:25 PM.

• Kenzo

Posted February 09, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Finally got the XRR carb on the XRL. It has a 65 pilot, 165 main with fuel screw 2 turns out. I am at seal level (Houston). Carb is clean as a whistle. I couldn't get it to run except with the choke on (lever up). It will die as soon as i turn the choke off (lever down). When running it will stumble at 1/4 throttle. What could be the issue? I checked for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner on the manifolds but didnt notice any change in idle. It's a pain to remove and re-install the carb as it is.

here's wut worked for me in H-Town... :smirk:

...stock 65s w/ a 160 main, stock needle 5th groove...i removed the choke backfire flapper...i also ended up opening up the airbox cover(1" holes with filters) but i did the battery relocation mod so my airbox had been restricted).

i sold the bike a year ago so i can't check but cud u have the choke lever's operation backwards?!? :rant:

after that check ur pilot for blockage, ur fuel screws operation and finally the bowl level.

:lol:

• cyclewizard

Posted February 10, 2011 - 04:37 AM

here's wut worked for me in H-Town... :smirk:

...stock 65s w/ a 160 main, stock needle 5th groove...i removed the choke backfire flapper...i also ended up opening up the airbox cover(1" holes with filters) but i did the battery relocation mod so my airbox had been restricted).

i sold the bike a year ago so i can't check but cud u have the choke lever's operation backwards?!? :rant:
after that check ur pilot for blockage, ur fuel screws operation and finally the bowl level.

:lol:

I've done that before.........:p

• MindBlower

Posted February 10, 2011 - 09:04 PM

I've done that before.........:smirk:

oh yeh, and they don't all go the same way, so if you have both it's a pain keeping it straight.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:33 PM

XR650R choke up = ON (Choke flap closed), choke down = OFF (choke flap open). I'll remove the carb and check the pilot and float level this weekend. BTW, my 65 pilot does not have an "S" on it. Kenzo, I'll try a 160 main a well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:02 AM

The 650L I just bought has an XR600 carb on it. 10.5 piston, stage 1 Hotcam.
Very responsive at low rpms!

• BLSBRKR65

Posted February 13, 2011 - 03:41 PM

Got it figured out!!! It was the float level...It was too low! I set it to 16mm and viola, it fired on the 1st try. I am at sea level and currently have a 165 main, 65 pilot, B53E needle with clip second from top, fule screw 2 1/2 turns out. It rips and runs like a raped ape!!! So far, no bogs, no backfire, no hesitation! BTW, i almost fell of the seat while reving it hard on 3rd gear. I need to put a non slip cover on the Corbin... but that's another thread and day.

• Nummie

Posted March 04, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Anyone still running the XR650R carb?

• shanman2001

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I bought a 97' xr650L a couple of months ago. It looks like the previous owner did a half @ss job of doing some mods to it. It looks like it has a xr650R carb on it. It runs like crap and gets really hot so apparently its running really lean. It has a FMF slip on and a K&N air filter. I dont know of any other engine mods to it. I wanted to see if someone could give me what they think would be the right jet, float, and needle settings so I might get this dialed in close the first time. Any help would be appreicated!!

• jjast

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:48 PM

you should post up some pictures of the carb so we can be sure that's the carb we are working with.

Edited by jjast, July 31, 2013 - 10:49 PM.

• shanman2001

Posted August 02, 2013 - 04:55 AM

I just happen to have the carb off already here's a couple of shots of it. also I know elevation can matter in this carb settings I'm at about 500 ft.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1375447668661.jpg
  • 1375447691441.jpg

• jjast

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Ok, I can't positively identify the carb so someone else chime in please.

• shanman2001

Posted August 06, 2013 - 11:33 AM

bump.  FYI, I have a Clymer repair manual that covers the 650 Rs and Ls models.  The pictures of the the R carb in the manual match up with the carb that was on this bike when I got it.  I'm pretty sure that is what it is.  Can anyone give me advice?   I'll restate my first post from above -

I bought a 97' xr650L a couple of months ago. It looks like the previous owner did a half @ss job of doing some mods to it. It looks like it has a xr650R carb on it. It runs like crap and gets really hot so apparently its running really lean. It has a FMF slip on and a K&N factory replacement air filter. I dont know of any other engine mods to it. I live around 500ft elevation.  I wanted to see if someone could give me what they think would be the right jet, float, and needle settings so I might get this dialed in close the first time. Any help would be appreicated!!       

• Horri

Posted August 06, 2013 - 11:57 AM

PD8AF is a 95 XR600 carb..I can't recall my jetting..I'm guessing but in my files I have it as a 168 and a 68,, needle two slots down from the blunt end,, take it from there,,I've changed it a few times so I'm just not sure my files are up to date on it..

I run an XR600 single carb on an XL600 or 650L bore and a CRF muffler so it may be kinda close to what a 650L would use with a 600 carb..

Get 3 pilots and 3 mains down from the 168/68 and you should be covered with any variables..ie,,168/68 ,,165/65,, 162/62

Edited by Horri, August 06, 2013 - 12:27 PM.

• shanman2001

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.  I'll get them and try it next week when I get some time to tinker on it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.