XR650R Carb on a XR650L

258 replies to this topic
  • HBLARRY

Posted November 27, 2009 - 08:02 AM

Don't over estimate the other possibilitys; a badly stuck or burnt intake valve
or even cam timing. Check your valve adjustments and ignition timing
What was done prior to this carburetor swap ??

HBLARRY

• pdxthumper

Posted December 06, 2009 - 04:51 PM

I found the problem my float bowl was set really low, so it was a fuel issue. I found the manual online, and set the height while blowing through the fuel and volia! Re-installed truned the fuel on, full choke, hit the button. Runs great, took it out for quick 15 miles on the road, worked great from 20-70 mph. Happy to be riding agin.

• HBLARRY

Posted December 07, 2009 - 09:35 AM

pdxthumper,
That's great........always makes you feel good curing a little malfunction
like that. Bet it's a little more fun to ride now.

We had my XR650R carb on my son's 650L for awhile and it was a happy motor. Of course then I didn't have a carburetor..........While looking for another I ran across a used Edelbrock 38mm pumper that I had to spend a lot of time rebuilding, replacing missing parts and had to make a throttle cable bracket from scratch. Not that much fun. It was running fine until we took it for a dirt/street ride to Tecate along the border, Julian and then to Pala. It wouldn't idle at all and was backfiring. Constant restarts were killing the battery out in the middle of nowhere.
We beat on it continuously and raised the idle thinking it would clear itself. It didn't.........We took it apart again later at home and my best guess was that the needle was just sticking and starving it for fuel. I polished the float needle jet and the bore (a second time) to what I felt was a really sloppy fit for new parts.
It works perfectly now. So the fuel level is fairly critical for proper idle.

HBLARRY

and the

• zeusthegoose

Posted February 18, 2010 - 08:01 PM

hi guys, i've read through this thread and i'm going to try the carb swap (i just got one with the stock throttle cable off ebay). it's going on a 94 650l that's uncorked with a slip on and stock engine. i'm at sea level in southern cal but often ride in the nearby mountains that peak around 4000 ft. if i read correctly the current consensus is that 165 main and 65s pilot is the best configuration for this bike?

i like how she looks from the rear :ride:

Posted Image

• pdxthumper

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:38 PM

65s, 165, clean it, check the float height, have fun.

• Kenzo

Posted February 19, 2010 - 05:56 AM

i'm still run'n the 65s/160...stock needle raised the max. :ride:

if it has the HRC needle i wud try the center clip position. :lol:

...w/ the cool dense air we have now i'll get a burble or two on closed throttle decellerations but nothing that wud make me bump the pilot.

:ride:

P.S. if u get a stumble at WOT u most likely need to open up the airbox more.

• zeusthegoose

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:32 AM

that's what i was thinking. it pops and burbles a lot now with the stock carb, i figure i'd go with the 165 because it stays pretty warm and dry here. if it ends up too rich perhaps i can try drilling out my airbox cover and removing the plates/spark arrestor from my white brothers can. i'd tried taking the plates out before but it ran too lean and the popping on decel was deafening.

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 19, 2010 - 08:48 AM

i figure i'd go with the 165 because it stays pretty warm and dry here. if it ends up too rich perhaps i can try drilling out my airbox cover and removing the plates/spark arrestor from my white brothers can.

Wouldn't it be easier(and legal) to adjust the jetting instead of removing the spark arrestor?

• zeusthegoose

Posted February 19, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Wouldn't it be easier(and legal) to adjust the jetting instead of removing the spark arrestor?

i guess i'm not really clear when you're required a usfs spark arrestor. it's illegal to ride on the road without one? i'd love a new/quieter can without the plates because the exhaust coming out the sides is melting my fender and turn signals. i'm really poor though so i was trying to get the carb dialed without buying a complete jet kit. :ride:

• Kenzo

Posted February 20, 2010 - 05:26 PM

that's what i was thinking. it pops and burbles a lot now with the stock carb, i figure i'd go with the 165 because it stays pretty warm and dry here. if it ends up too rich perhaps i can try drilling out my airbox cover and removing the plates/spark arrestor from my white brothers can. i'd tried taking the plates out before but it ran too lean and the popping on decel was deafening.

Posted Image

Posted Image

my airbox is already drilled/opened on both sides, FMF header, and run 10-15 disks on the SuperTrapp, sea level, currently ~60F riding temps...

...i can try the 165 but it ain't gunna give u no extra power :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeusthegoose

Posted February 21, 2010 - 02:16 AM

so am i overshooting with the 165? should i be looking at an increment down?

• pwrpapa

Posted February 21, 2010 - 04:01 AM

i guess i'm not really clear when you're required a usfs spark arrestor. it's illegal to ride on the road without one? i'd love a new/quieter can without the plates because the exhaust coming out the sides is melting my fender and turn signals. i'm really poor though so i was trying to get the carb dialed without buying a complete jet kit. :ride:

It's not illegal to ride on the rode without a us forestry approved spark arrestor around these parts, I don't know in your area.

• Kenzo

Posted February 21, 2010 - 09:24 AM

so am i overshooting with the 165? should i be looking at an increment down?

:lol:

...u catch on quick!

before i drilled out the airbox it wud run out of air at WOT...that's with the 65s/160 & stock needle(raised max) combo :ride:

Edited by Kenzo, February 21, 2010 - 10:03 AM.

• soundtech

Posted February 21, 2010 - 09:31 AM

okaaaaa.... :lol:

u have everything under control...i wus mistaken that u had been asking a few questions :ride:

i'm familar with The Glen...i'm a wannbe...here's a pic of me from the 2.9 mile roadcoarse at Texas World Speedway...i wus an advanced/instructor level before i got the crazy idea to open a restaurant :D

Posted Image

not to change the subject too much but did you name your restaurant KENZO'S that sounds like a great name for it LOL

• Kenzo

Posted February 21, 2010 - 10:08 AM

not to change the subject too much but did you name your restaurant KENZO'S that sounds like a great name for it LOL

naw...i'd post the restaurants name and website but sumone who might take my lighthearted smack talk seriously and decide to give me sum bad reviews...:D

...but the name Kenzo did come from the E36 M3 road racers board...a guy combined Kenny & Bozo :ride: i liked it so much i made it my own :lol:

:D

• zeusthegoose

Posted February 21, 2010 - 04:22 PM

so back on topic, a 162? or do i really want to go with a 160?

• Kenzo

Posted February 21, 2010 - 07:10 PM

so back on topic, a 162? or do i really want to go with a 160?

...geeze! ...just put the 165 in there and get back to us on where u end up! :ride:

• zeusthegoose

Posted February 21, 2010 - 09:12 PM

i can already smell the "i told you so's" :ride:

• Kenzo

Posted February 22, 2010 - 05:12 AM

i can already smell the "i told you so's" :ride:

u r one sharp dood! :D

did u read the whole thread? ...start at least page 7 :D

to summerize...xr650r carb & throttle assembly, 65s/160 jets, stock needle raised to highest position, airbox drilled but this may not be required w/ battery in stock position(mine is relocated to airbox)...

...the above works well for me :lol::ride:

i don't have much more to add that's not already in this thread :D

Edited by Kenzo, February 22, 2010 - 03:01 PM.

• zeusthegoose

Posted February 22, 2010 - 12:03 PM

yeah, i've been told i'm one of the sharper tools in the shed, like a wooden mallet ya know? :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.