What to do to a 2009 Yz450f with 200+ hours?

6 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hey guys!! I got a 09 yz450f which is an absolute beast and has been such a reliable bike. the bike still starts first kick most of the time and its been running pretty good. Its got a Drd exhaust and a jd jetting kit.

So i took it out the other day and ill be nest it was feeling a little sluggish, like it didnt feel as snappy but maybe it was just me. But i clean my air filter every ride and oil with filter every 8-10 hours.

So heres my question, what would you guys replace motor wise since i got this much time on this beast. I definately need to check the valves but would i gain any power by throwing a top end in it? BTW i already have all the parts needed to do a top end. But if my valves are in spec should i replace them? I heard the intakes are usually good to replace but im no that sure.

BTW i ride woods and im getting ready to race this season!! But hey thanks so much for your time and i hope i can get this bike running as good as new again

thanks and god bless!!!

• hackman162

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Split cases and do bottom end bearings and seals. New crank assembly. Inspect all gears and shift forks. New piston/rings. New timing chain. New valve seats and seals. At minimum on the clutch side, clutch plates but may need basket,etc depending on wear.

• Family Man

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Time for a new piston and wrings and wrist pin for sure. If the head is still in spec I don't think you have to re do the valves, now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcdude33

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:18 AM

yeah im definately going to be putting a top end in this week for the weekend. But will i notice really any difference in the power? Like i know its a 450 haha. But if the valves are in spec should i just replace em>? or just leave them be?

• Family Man

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:05 PM

A new piston should make a noticeable increase in power and compression. Make sure to follow the manual as exactly as you can.

• rcdude33

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Ok i threw the new top end and it is running awesome. BUt it seems like it is leaking a little oil by the ignition cover and the oil is by the bottom of the cylinder by the filler cap. I check the bolts and they are tight but would it be better to replace that case gasket? We torqued everything to the manuals specifications as well.

• hackman162

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Dumb question, but is the o-ring still on the filler cap?

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.