06, yz450f gearing and jetting

5 replies to this topic
  • croyboy

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Just picked it up, needs a new chain and sprockets. I will be trail riding, any advice on chain and sprockets for proper gearing and wear, figuring a good quality 520 will be sufficient?
Also it wants to back fire and ping at low throttle, seems pretty good at mid to full throttle.
Has fmf power bomb header and powercore 4 silencer. Will have a twin air filter on it.

• Yzf_Buz

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Go with the Iron Man sprocket set 13/51or2 from: Nate at dirt tricks they are absolutely the best sprockets and you can also order a Z ring chain from him also, this is what I run on my 06 .

• TJD83

Posted April 08, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Mine loves to back fire as well. Not sure if the power bomb came stock on them or it was one of the previous owners mods. Thought maybe it had a mild tuning issue. The thing runs so good through the gears though I haven't bothered playing with it.
Is it really that much of an issue if it zagurggals & pops when I get off the gas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • croyboy

Posted April 09, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks guys, I have it running good. Previous owner had a 52 pilot jet in it, replaced with a 48. Also replaced fuel screw with a knob style one, set at 1 1/2 turns out, was at 2 1/2. Starts, idles, DVD runs great, no back firing.

• Jim813

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I would also recommend the Dirt Tricks sprockets. Nate is a great guy and supports a lot of local races. Anyway, it depends on where you ride, but in th desert I liked a 14/50 for general riding and racing. It was about the best compromise between giving up a little in slow tight first gear stuff and high speed terrain. If you don't see a lot of high speed terrain, stick with stock or maybe go up a tooth or two. I would judge it off low you need first gear to be if you don't do much high speed riding. If you do, you'll have to make compromises with the stock transmission.

• slothman

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:56 AM

I just went -1 in the front, so now it's 13/51 and let me tell you that thing is a wheelie monster now ! I love it.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.