XR650L Lowering Link

3 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_CDN

Posted November 28, 2003 - 09:19 AM

Anyone have a picture of an actual lower link installed on a XR650L? I am curious to see where it goes. Also - any feedback on how it affects handling and clearance? Do you really notice the 1 1/2" drop? Can't you just lower the front fork assembly a bit?

• motometal

Posted December 01, 2003 - 06:53 PM

lowering the front end changes the steering geometry. While I have found that (on my bike anyway) it made the bike handle better, there is a limit to how far it can be lowered without becoming twitchy and potentially dangerous. Also, you can't slide the forks so far up in the clamps that the tapered or smaller diameter is in the clamping area. Clever tinkering with pvc pipe and/or shortening the fork springs takes care of this problem, if needed, but that's not a beginners project.

I have a Dual Star lowering link, it lowered it about 1", noticeable dif., no negatives other than it may bottom easier (tire hitting underneath fender) but I dont jump it hard anymore anyway. Also if I lowered it any further, the kickstand would need to be shortened.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TZAR

Posted December 01, 2003 - 10:41 PM

Howzit!

This past Sunday I installed a lowering link on my 04' XR650L. I picked-up the link from BajaD. BTW, it did not come with any instructions.

Anyway, it was not so difficult; however I have a few tips, tricks & traps to share. In no particular order...

- Measure the mid and rear height of the bike before and after. I yeilded about 1.25in (lower). I'm going to have my kick-stand adjusted; but mainly due to my 17" motard wheels. Plus, I lowered my forks about 3/4in.

- Jack up the bike and let the rear wheel hang (secure the bike). No need to remove the wheel; just remove the two bolts. You will need to lift the rear wheel to remove & re-install the bolts due to the fitment pressure (used my foot to push/hold it up as needed). Otherwise fairly uneventful & easy.

- Order the link with new bearings. Don't attmept to re-use the OEM bearings in the new link. I had the toughest time getting the bearings removed (very long story). TRUST ME HERE! JUST DO IT!

Have some grease ready, so that you can re-grease the bearings and enclosure caps etc...(per the OEM manual).

Sorry I don't have any pics. But if you look at the under linkages you can't miss it; to me (the non-mechanic) it was pretty obvious.

Now; I have not had a chance to ride it as yet. Its been storming here in Hawaii. But from what everyone has shared; its better than sliced bread.

Hope this helps; good luck!

Aloha,

TZAR
:)

• motometal

Posted December 02, 2003 - 07:22 PM

The Dual Star link came with greased bushings instead of bearings. At first, I didn't like that, and it appears that it would be possible to swap out the bushings for the bearings out of the Honda link (although a hyd. press would be needed). However, I can't tell any difference in the action of the rear susp., so for now the bushings are still in there. I did end up having to crank the rear spring preload up a bit to compensate, but otherwise the rear of the bike isn't noticeably stiffer.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.