2012 WR450 hurt feelings? missing free upgrades?

21 replies to this topic
  • allterra

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:49 PM

I had the opportunity to ride a 2012 WR450 this weekend. Well I think he has missed some of the free mods and I don't know what they are. I can see that he has removed the peashooter and the snorkel in the air box and he told me that the dealer had checked the valves and remapped it. Other than that I think it is stock. To get to the point it is still "weak" compared to my 07. He is coming off a WR250. He is the second owner of the 2012 and he was happy with his "new" till he rode mine and I expected to blown away with his. I will say that it handled much better but was severely lacking in power. Not 250 range but not up to what I expected out of a 450. is there something that the PO could have done to this bike to tone it down or is he missing some free mods? shouldn't a 2012 be able to kick an 07 with the fuel inject? I told him about this forum but he is not a "computer person". He is more of an old fuddy duddy than I am.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 10, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Fuel injection, by and large, is not a performance upgrade.
It is a reduced maintenance upgrade.

Having said that, you are telling us what you don't know about the bike, and yet saying you are not happy with it.

A GYT kit, tuner, exhaust, and mapping, will wake the bike up and beyond the '07.

It probably has the 'slippery terrain' map in it right now, which is very tame.

• luckyone24

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:17 PM

this bike comes with a de tuned ecu... to make it sing ..you have to purchase the competition ecu from yamaha ... about $100.00.. when i bought my 2012 i had it thrown in with the deal, along with the tuner...my bike goes excellent!!

• allterra

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Fuel injection, by and large, is not a performance upgrade.
It is a reduced maintenance upgrade.

Having said that, you are telling us what you don't know about the bike, and yet saying you are not happy with it.

A GYT kit, tuner, exhaust, and mapping, will wake the bike up and beyond the '07.

It probably has the 'slippery terrain' map in it right now, which is very tame.

So what you are saying is that he will have to spend some more cash to get it to perform like a 450 should. What we are looking for are things like (gray wire mod, what map to ask for), throttle stop screw, (jetting I know it is a fuel inject but I hope you get the idea). We are just trying to wake his bike up. The PO rode it for 3 months then lost a couple fingers in a farm accident and sold the bike. It still has the factory tires and the covers near the pegs are barely scratched. Beyond that the parts he was given were the snorkel and the little pipe out of the exhaust and a dirty air filter. That is all we know about it.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 11, 2013 - 04:44 AM

I believe Yamaha runs these new fuel injected bikes tame for a reason. That reason being that Yamaha provides a 30 day warranty on these bikes, so they don't want a single one to come back for warranty work, so they "de-tune" them.

Oh, and also so they can sell more "$100" EFI tuners!!!

• luckyone24

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:24 AM

you cant program the stock ecu from what i was told....so you have to buy it and the throttle screw comes with the competition ecu.... yamaha had to de-tune these bikes so they would pass epa testing to be sold here in the states

• beezer

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:03 AM

That's why when you go to an enduro around here you don't see many blue bikes.

Mostly orange.

The blue bikes are un-rideable stock.

• allterra

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well I guess that is par for the course. Mine (07) had to have some stuff done to it as well. Luckily the PO did mine up so I did mot have to.:D...guess that is just the dues we have to pay to ride blue.:angry:...how is it orange gets away with it.:ph34r:.

• Ricky Roma

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I agree with Krannie. The maps make a huge difference. I'd also check the throttle stop screw as mentioned.

Also, "the dealer" is a very general description. If it was a salesman at the dealership, odds are he was full of shit.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well I guess that is par for the course. Mine (07) had to have some stuff done to it as well. Luckily the PO did mine up so I did mot have to. :D...guess that is just the dues we have to pay to ride blue. :angry:...how is it orange gets away with it. :ph34r:.

My thoughts exactly. All of these bikes need a little fine tuning, even Orange. But to answer your question, KTM get's away with it because they are willing to cut corners and barely meet whatever specs are deemed neccesary, whereas Yamaha (and all of the Japenese bikes) play it safe and run overly restrictive exhaust baffles, lean jetting, etc.., etc.. It's just the way they play the game, that's all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Get the comp ECU and the GYT-R silencer....the bike will more than impress

• allterra

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:30 PM

He brought the bike to another dealer that understood what we were talking about. He ended up purchasing an ecu and a "programer" :confused: . He also received a box of parts back which from his description sounds a lot like the ais assembly and the baffle. He was told that unless you really want to go all out and replace the exhaust completely than a slip on is not going to do much for you other than change the sound and tone. He was also told that the 2012 WR motor is the same as the 07-11 motor with just the fuel inject added. Would he still have The "Gray wire mod" to be done? He took it for a short spin and is much happier. I hope for his sake that it will be up to par.

• miweber929

Posted March 19, 2013 - 04:18 AM

Read through the '12 WR threads, TONS of info on what worked, why and how already.

The grey wire mod activated a different map in the ECU, with the availability of the "competition" ECU there would no need for the alternate map. So think of it this way: the original ECU would be the grey wire uncut, the programmable ECU is the grey wire mod with the plus of now being able to "jet" the bike with the programmer. FYI, the programmer is not mandatory, but will make changes to the mapping easier than driving to the dealer to have it done, but must be done with some knowledge.

Other readings in '12 threads have said the stock pipe with the baffle removed is still pretty restrictive compared to the Q4 so I think the dealer may have been blowing a bit of smoke and didn't have one in stock or didn't want to order one. I'd think it would be OK, but almost everyone agreed it started better with the Q4.

• bellofello

Posted March 21, 2013 - 08:23 AM

I put a powercore 4 slip on before I did the ecu and programmer, and the bike would barely idle.
I'd say its a fair bit different from the stock pipe.

As soon as I did the ECU/programmer, with the exhaust, it idled and started MUCH better, plus it was like giving the bike testical implants. Significantly better.

Edited by bellofello, March 21, 2013 - 08:24 AM.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:45 PM

I just purchased a 2012 WR450F. I have ordered the Comp ECU, Programmer, and Power Core 4 Slip on. Is the Power Bomb header necessary? Is it worth the money?

Also, To open the airbox, I took out the rubber piece. Any more opening necessary?

• yukondood

Posted June 08, 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have an 12, with ecu, full exhaust, throttle stop, snorkel out it hauls!!! Replaced a nicely modded 08 and am extremely happy.
I have played with the tuner and could nto be happier when riding on wheels.

• 270winchester

Posted June 09, 2013 - 12:24 PM

To really uncork the bike, you need a different exhaust. I have the gytr by FMF power core 4 and like others have said, it is significantly better than the stock or performance inserted stock exhaust.

With this set-up and running the FMF map, it has smooth/linear pull from bottom to top...

The FI makes it feel jetted "perfectly" across the entire rpm range. I have 3 carbed bikes that I am always having to mess with the jets and needle on and don't get as smooth a delivery. Hopefully the FI will be reliable?

I have an 09 Honda FI 4 wheeler and never had a lick of trouble with it. I also have some 20 year old cars with FI and never had a FI related problem, so I think the reliability is there.

I am eyeing the GYTR head and exhaust cams (2 bills). I bet that really lets the thing breath. Anybody have the yz exhaust cam on a 2012/13?

• yukondood

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I have the yz cam and it rocks

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I believe Yamaha runs these new fuel injected bikes tame for a reason. That reason being that Yamaha provides a 30 day warranty on these bikes, so they don't want a single one to come back for warranty work, so they "de-tune" them.

The real reason is emissions compliance in order to get a Green Sticker in CA, and to meet Federal requirements. That's also the reason that the OEM ECU can't be reprogrammed, and for that matter, why there's a plug over the pilot screw on the older models with carbs.

It's the law, that simple.

And as Dickens' Mr. Bumble observed, "...the law is a ass..."

• SoCalDirtRider67

Posted September 27, 2013 - 02:21 PM

As far as the airbox goes, is the snorkel the only part you need to remove?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.