bike dies when throttle turns please please help!

17 replies to this topic
  • 13+

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:16 PM

I wased my bike then I forgot to turn the gas back on so it chuged and I turned the gas on and it died cause I wasn't fast enough but exspected it to go when I stared it, it wouldnt I turn the throttle and it bogs and dies every time. I had to ride home on the choke. Idk what it is I checked the main get and its not clogged. I didn't pull the carb yet. But the wired part is it idles just fine every time i start it. But if I turn the throttle it bogs and dies.

• Thommo_400f

Posted March 10, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Drop the fuel from the bowl.
Probably a lump of crap blocking main jet.

• schrode

Posted March 10, 2013 - 05:50 PM

what thommo said. +1

• 13+

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I did what thommo said, plus I removed the main jet and nothing was in it and the gas from the bowl was clean. So should I remove the carb and clean all the jets? Its an 07 wr450f by the way.

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted March 10, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I did what thommo said, plus I removed the main jet and nothing was in it and the gas from the bowl was clean. So should I remove the carb and clean all the jets? Its an 07 wr450f by the way.

No, stop guessing.

You need to do more trouble shooting first.

1. is the gas getting into the carb
2. is the gas getting into the intake
3. is there spark
4. is there compression

• 13+

Posted March 10, 2013 - 09:16 PM

No, stop guessing.

You need to do more trouble shooting first.

1. is the gas getting into the carb
2. is the gas getting into the intake
3. is there spark
4. is there compression

Okay so i havent tryed anything yet, but now that I think about it the bike will only run for a few seconds when its in the on position but when its on reseve it runs just fine. But I will do those tomarrow.

• miweber929

Posted March 11, 2013 - 04:54 AM

Okay so i havent tryed anything yet, but now that I think about it the bike will only run for a few seconds when its in the on position but when its on reseve it runs just fine. But I will do those tomarrow.

While Krannie is right in you have to stop guessing, the fact that the bike runs indicates everything he outlined for you to check is in fact somewhat working. But you are not going about this in a step by step mannor which means you'll throw needless time and money at this problem without a fix. Online everyone is a master mechanic and says "X fixed my problem, do that" but 99% of the time it's not YOUR problem and you've wasted whatever time and money it took to go there if you blindly follow. Krannie's trying to stop you from going down that route.

Explain again the above statement but in more detail. Do you mean the bike works exactly as it should on reserve, no choke needed to stay running? Then you have a fuel/petcock issue; remove the fuel tank, drain gas and check operation of petcock. Or even check fuel level to be sure you have enough gas. But if it simply doesn't run in the ON position, and will run on RES, though it has your symptoms described originally, you've more digging to do.

So it sounds like you rode the bike to a power wash station and cleaned it, were you cleaning off mud, salt, junk or just cleaning it in general? Have you done this before? A power washer can be a great tool to wash your bike, but in the wrong hands can be a missile launcher of water into places it shouldn't be. You must stay away from any bearings, vent hoses, exhaust opening and lightly go over electrical connections. If you force water into places it shouldn't be, well, its obvious what happens.

My thought before you get back to us with the above answers is water got somewhere it shouldn't, either in the carb directly or through the vent on the gas cap. Or water is making you have a bad electrical connection. Good thing is both areas are easy to fix on this bike by simply dumping the old gas (checking the petcock) and getting new, cleaning the carb and pulling all exposed electrical connections apart and making sure no water comes out. But first answer above, we can help pinpoint.

Edited by miweber929, March 11, 2013 - 04:58 AM.

• 13+

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Petcocks fine, all connections are fine. My coilpack had water around it so I dryed that off and dryed the cyclender head and wiped down the spark plug but still does it so ima check the coilpack again and see if I missed some water and if it still does it, its gotta have some junk in the carb. So ima take that off and go threw it.

• 13+

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:59 PM

While Krannie is right in you have to stop guessing, the fact that the bike runs indicates everything he outlined for you to check is in fact somewhat working. But you are not going about this in a step by step mannor which means you'll throw needless time and money at this problem without a fix. Online everyone is a master mechanic and says "X fixed my problem, do that" but 99% of the time it's not YOUR problem and you've wasted whatever time and money it took to go there if you blindly follow. Krannie's trying to stop you from going down that route.

Explain again the above statement but in more detail. Do you mean the bike works exactly as it should on reserve, no choke needed to stay running? Then you have a fuel/petcock issue; remove the fuel tank, drain gas and check operation of petcock. Or even check fuel level to be sure you have enough gas. But if it simply doesn't run in the ON position, and will run on RES, though it has your symptoms described originally, you've more digging to do.

So it sounds like you rode the bike to a power wash station and cleaned it, were you cleaning off mud, salt, junk or just cleaning it in general? Have you done this before? A power washer can be a great tool to wash your bike, but in the wrong hands can be a missile launcher of water into places it shouldn't be. You must stay away from any bearings, vent hoses, exhaust opening and lightly go over electrical connections. If you force water into places it shouldn't be, well, its obvious what happens.

My thought before you get back to us with the above answers is water got somewhere it shouldn't, either in the carb directly or through the vent on the gas cap. Or water is making you have a bad electrical connection. Good thing is both areas are easy to fix on this bike by simply dumping the old gas (checking the petcock) and getting new, cleaning the carb and pulling all exposed electrical connections apart and making sure no water comes out. But first answer above, we can help pinpoint.

I have done this befor, actually on a regular basies and I wash it the same way every time plus I stay two feet away from the bike with the nozzle just for this reason, i was washing mud and salt off casue i had some fun the day befor and this is the first its done this. It will run in the on position but only for ten seconds or so, and in reserve it find just fine while idleing but once I hit the throttle it dies but when I run the choke it doesn't spit or sputter but if I hit the throttle it dies, so since I did everything found one problem I'm sure I sucked something in to a jet and not the idle jet or air jet but I could be wrong about the air jet.

• miweber929

Posted March 13, 2013 - 03:24 AM

I have done this befor, actually on a regular basies and I wash it the same way every time plus I stay two feet away from the bike with the nozzle just for this reason, i was washing mud and salt off casue i had some fun the day befor and this is the first its done this. It will run in the on position but only for ten seconds or so, and in reserve it find just fine while idleing but once I hit the throttle it dies but when I run the choke it doesn't spit or sputter but if I hit the throttle it dies, so since I did everything found one problem I'm sure I sucked something in to a jet and not the idle jet or air jet but I could be wrong about the air jet.

The thing that is confusing me on this is the petcock position: it should have no bearing on how an engine runs as its simply a delivery method for fuel which either comes down a tube a couple inches long (ON) or though the bottom of the petcock (res).

The fact that it runs better on choke indicates a fuel blockage so I'd lean towards fuel/carb. Did you soak the air filter with water? I'd start there and work my way downstream: filter, carb boot, carb clean, then drain the gas and start fresh as I think you may have gotten water in the fuel as well. Is your gas cap vent functional and in place?

Let us know how this progresses.

• JDLowrance

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:28 AM

Remove gas cap, start bike, see if symptoms continue....if it runs fine you have a clogged fuel tank vent tube.

Difference yoy're experiencing between on and reserve at the petcock will probably come down to the fact that your fuel level is right at the point you would normally switch to reserve so add some fuel to the tank.

• JDLowrance

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Did you get it sorted?????

• JDLowrance

Posted March 16, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Dude....you need to reply to this thread and let us know where you're at with this problem.

You asked for help, you received help, now it's time for you to reply and let us know what you found. Reason being if others have the same symptoms as you they can refer to this thread and hopefully get their issues sorted based on your results without a lot of drama.

If it was something simple all the better.

Again, my money is on the gas cap vent tube being plugged and your bike being close to reserve.

Let us know!

• 13+

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply, I went threw the carb and everything looks fine, I never did change my gass witch I'm doing tomarrow, my vent tube isn't clogged I blew threw it and I felt a steady stream of air so I feel it has to do with gas and water. So I'm changing that. I will get back with the news tomarrow.

• 13+

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Remove gas cap, start bike, see if symptoms continue....if it runs fine you have a clogged fuel tank vent tube.

Difference yoy're experiencing between on and reserve at the petcock will probably come down to the fact that your fuel level is right at the point you would normally switch to reserve so add some fuel to the tank.

I blew threw the tube and felt a steady stream of air. So I don't think its that.

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply, I went threw the carb and everything looks fine, I never did change my gass witch I'm doing tomarrow, my vent tube isn't clogged I blew threw it and I felt a steady stream of air so I feel it has to do with gas and water. So I'm changing that. I will get back with the news tomarrow.

Did you change the pilot jet?

• 13+

Posted April 19, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Did you change the pilot jet?

the bike was already jetted when I bought the bike and the pilot jet was changed just can't remeber the number its been a while since I went threw the carb. But it wasn't clogged at all.

• 13+

Posted April 21, 2013 - 11:00 AM

So turns out my main jet needle was broke so I'm buy an after market one, any suggestions? And I dont know much about carbs but my dad just fought me a lot, and showed me what was wrong so know I know. Thanks to all of you that put in your know how and tryed to help.

Any suggestions on a good after market needle?

Thanks again guy:)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1366570649377.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.