Shopping for enclosed trailer

5 replies to this topic
  • paulsreef

Posted March 10, 2013 - 01:41 PM

I need an enclosed trailer for 4 motocross bikes and gear. What would be the minimum size? Being able to load and unload the bikes without losing my mind is important too. I'll be pulling it with a Dodge Ram 4x4 hemi. Thanks.

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 10, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Depends on how tight you're willing to pack them. I had a 5x10 + V-nose (13'6" from inside of rear door to interior of V-nose) and loaded the bikes diagonally, and could get 4 bikes in there. It was tight, but it worked.

Don't have pics with 4 full size bikes in there, but here is one with one full size, a TTR and a XR80. You can see there's room for another bike.

Posted Image

• usdualsports

Posted March 10, 2013 - 02:03 PM

I would get at least a 7X14 that gives you enough room to get 4 bikes in and still have a little wiggle room to tie down the bikes, and put gear. I would put shelves up like the mettle grated ones they sell that are light weight, but don't put to much weight on them they are good for helmets, boots, and hanging gear off of. With that size trailer you will still have some room to put heavy gear bags on the floor. Also a small cabinet up front is nice for oils, lube and stuff you don't want to spill.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:00 PM

I need an enclosed trailer for 4 motocross bikes and gear. What would be the minimum size? Being able to load and unload the bikes without losing my mind is important too. I'll be pulling it with a Dodge Ram 4x4 hemi. Thanks.

Depending on how you stack them, but for 2 deep, you figure about 8 feet for each row of bikes. So if you can get 3 wide (7-8 feet wide) then you will need to be another 8 feet deep. So a 7X16 or 8X16. That will get you plenty of room for gear.

• paulsreef

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Depending on how you stack them, but for 2 deep, you figure about 8 feet for each row of bikes. So if you can get 3 wide (7-8 feet wide) then you will need to be another 8 feet deep. So a 7X16 or 8X16. That will get you plenty of room for gear.

Thanks, I figure I'll be safe with 7x16, and if I get a V-nose I could put some gear up front.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks, I figure I'll be safe with 7x16, and if I get a V-nose I could put some gear up front.

I had an 8X14 (have a 7X16 now) and I cant tell you how much I'd like to have had the extra space. Its a must and if you ever need to haul a pair of utility quads also (back to back, they wont fit side by side) .With the 16 footer, I'm never crowed tucking in bikes. I always say. "multiples of 8 feet if you hauling bikes and/or quads". I went 7 feet wide, because it was just easier to see down the sides with my truck mirrors and also, it tucks it behind the truck a little tighter for less wind drag/economy.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech, March 17, 2013 - 08:03 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.