Clutch fatigue

11 replies to this topic
  • TJD83

Posted March 09, 2013 - 03:02 PM

The clutch is beating me up on my new YZ 450 '06'. Have been riding a '09'WR 450 till now, it has a much more manageable clutch. One finger control and nice and close to the bar for my short stubby fingers. Was a pleasure to use, Heaps less fatigue.
Wondering if I could buy a new WR clutch assembly , to put on the YZ , to get the lever closer to the bar , softer and more user friendly. If not, what are my options?

• mfoti

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I just put a Z-start Pro on my 2011 450 and the clutch requires little to zero effort if you want to use it.

• YZPaGuy

Posted March 11, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Just put a hydralic kit on it. Less then $300, no more problems.

• TJD83

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Is the Z-Start Pro a hydraulic set up bro? Whad you spend?
Cheers boys

• mfoti

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:51 PM

the Z-start is an auto-clutch but can you can use the clutch lever and override at any time. It was $600 but the clutch lever is so easy to pull you wouldn't believe it is connected. It is not hydraulic. Check it out at

• TJD83

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:32 PM

Will do man!
Happy shredding :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TJD83

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yo what is the reason you went w Zstart?
I noticed there are a few different packages on the site. Some that are half that price.
Can't I achieve the same results with EXP?

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:01 AM

The EXP will be a functional auto clutch, but you were interested in reducing clutch lever effort, which the EXP does not do. Of course, with an auto clutch properly set up, there isn't much reason to fiddle with the lever anyway.

But here's a cheaper alternative:
  • Replace the steel plates in your clutch with those from an '07-'09, and stack it up with 8 frictions instead of 9
  • Replace the pressure plate and springs with those from an '07-'09
  • Replace the actuator arm with one from an '07-'09
You'll have a little less lever effort, and still have enough clutch to hold the extra power that the YZ has over the WR.

• TJD83

Posted March 13, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks man. I'll look into that.
Been reading a lot about these Rekluse set ups. Prob too much.
They sound like they have a lot to offer in the style of riding that i Mostly stick to. In fact I'm struggling to see a negative.
I'm thinking that's prob the way to go. Do you have anything negative to say about your experience, or anything you would do different next time?

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:16 PM

I miss being able to bump start by rolling off a hill, or hauling it backwards to free up a jammed decomp pin, but otherwise, the positives are pretty impressive for a desert racer that gets routed through rocky canyons all the time. I don't use the EXP, though, mine's a Z-Start Pro.

• mfoti

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:16 PM

The Z-start Pro has totally changed my life. It is amazing. i just wish i got it sooner. I went with the z-start because i hated how much force i had to use to clutch it and rekluse told me that the exp would have 20% more resistance on the lever. That really turned me off so i went with the z-start which is effortless to pull. After having the auto-clutch i will point out that i rarely use the clutch lever anymore so it may not have mattered.... BUT.. i still like the easy feel when i do use it.

• Smokeslider

Posted March 14, 2013 - 01:35 PM

+1. What mfoti said. It's cheating, in a good way.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.