01' 426 Top and Bottom Rebuild

No replies to this topic
  • Orice426

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:55 AM

First of all I wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone who makes this site every bit as valuable as a service manual. I have been looking to TT for about the past 6 months now during a complete rebuild on my friends 01' 426. The bike was a gift from his father right before he passed away so it has a lot of sentimental value but it hasnt been started in over 6 years. The bike was used when he got it and wasn't maintained very well. He has now decided to fix it up and get it running again so we can ride. I have changed all bearings exept the ones in the engine, chain, sprockets, rebuilt calipers, brakes, rebuilt forks and shock, new clutch, new cables and brake lines, rebuilt carb, JD jet kit, and pretty much everything else outside of the engine. I took the bike to the Yamaha shop about a week ago to have the valves checked/adjusted and to have a leak down test done since I couldn't get the bike to start. They called yesterday and told me it needed a new crank, piston and rings, cylinder head, and main bearings which was going to be a total of $3717.00!! I can understand the piston and rings need replacing after sitting so long but the crank caused zero problems when we used to ride all the time.This bike means a lot to my buddy so I went and got the bike and priced the parts my self which is muuuuuucccchhh cheaper than what they quoted me just for parts. Instead of buying a new cylinder I am goint to send it off to US Chrome to have them re plate it since it is not cracked but it is scored (the shop said it couldn't be re plated) but US Chrome said it can. My question is...I will have not problem with the top end but the bottom end and splitting the case worries me. I have the manual and have read the threads on here but it still scares me a little since I have not done a bottom end before. I am mechanically inclined but it seems there is a lot to mess up in there. Does any one know of a good mechanic in or around Nashville, TN that can help me or do it on the side. I would even be willing to take the motor out and drive it somewhere that wasn't too far away if I could get some help. I just can't pay dealership prices right now but want to finish it for my friend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.