JD Jetting Kit and Exhaust

3 replies to this topic
  • bstanton

Posted November 26, 2003 - 06:07 PM

I was asking my Yamaha service rep about jetting my 450 with the JD kit and he first asked what that was?!?! Yikes! Anyway, He then said that if you are considering jetting your bike you should also change the exhaust as well. Does anyone know if both should be done at the same time? Or can I get away with just jetting it for a while? :)

• RichBaker

Posted November 26, 2003 - 06:14 PM

Just jet it, and you can buy jets at most bike shops, even aftermarket, LOTS cheaper than a jet kit.....I spent ~$10 to get mine jetted right! :D
And don't forget the EZ adjust fuel screw:Kouba, Zip Ty or several others. I have the Zip Ty, but the kouba might be a better choice, it's brass...the ZT is anodized Al and there are reports of the tip breaking off if you seat it too hard.....not a good thing :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted November 27, 2003 - 10:57 AM

whereas you could just rejet it with jets at your local Yamaha store I would definitly recommend the James Dean kit, The jets in the kit are designed better and your performence will be a lot better than stock needles. I know I went the rout of rejetting with yamaha needles and then switched to the JD kit and am very glad I did so. Also you dont need to change out your exhaust but I would recommend at least going to a more open insert in the baffle over the stock one.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 27, 2003 - 12:29 PM

Just rejet and uncork the stock exhaust. Performance is awesome! :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.